Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

ORBX Regions Worth It for Jetliner Flying?

About 95%+ of my flying is virtual airline flying in jets.  With the recent ORBX sale, I was thinkin of picking up a few regions (I already use Base, OpenLC, and UT USA) but I wasn't sure it would be worth it.  Their airports are nice, but the ones I'm interested in require the regions so starting with ORBX is quite an expensive proposition especially since I already have other major airports that I'm interested in before the smaller ORBX ones.  I've already shelled out quite a bit in computer upgrades and recent scenery sales so I'm definitely slowing down for the near future.  But, it's hard to resist some of these sales.  Thoughts?

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I fly jets mostly and I still have ORBX. I find it still adds lots of beauty to the sim but that's just my opinion

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I fly jets mostly and I still have ORBX. I find it still adds lots of beauty to the sim but that's just my opinion

Yes, you have Orbx but do you have Orbx regions? ;) I myself have various regions and hardly fly outside of them but I usually fly GA. Low and slow. Recently I am flying the Airbus more often and although it is still nice to have the regions, they are far less important now. If you mainly fly into payware airports I would stick with Global, OpenLC, etc. because the detail the regions bring are wasted above 10.000 feet. ;)

And btw afaik the Orbx airports will run fine without regions: they only won't fit so nice in the surrounding, that's all. The 'requirement' is just a way to make people buy more addons.

I got regions too. I do like to fly VFR every once and awhile. But if your only going airport to airport 35 and 40,000 feet in the air then yeah! I guess default is fine. It's a matter of what you like. I love ORBX lighting coming in on approach in big cities and also seeing buildings and so fourth that are actually part of that city not default boxes

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

Regions are great especially for GA aircraft. Makes it a whole new sim. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

They will challenge your VAS limits and FPS, especially with bad weather. I have them and I love them but I do have to turn settings down or turn regions off in some circumstances.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Meh, I have several Regions but when I fly jets I just use OpenLC, Vector + Global..this way it still looks amazing, keep the VAS and FPS in check and it's probably way cheaper, also the coverage is massive. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I have all the North America regions plus Vector and Open LC NA.  When I fly jets I only use the regions where I am landing or departing.  If I were going from KOKC to PAJN the only region that I would have active would be SE Alaska along with Vector and Open LC NA.  I can't tell the difference in the regions at high altitude, but there may be some.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam