Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Learjet 35A - Flying it Realistically ?

Hi Folks,

First off - as many already know - this plane is certified for two pilot operation - it's a handful with one and something that is not allowed in real world operations...

I'm a SEL/PP and I'd like to learn how to move some of this bigger and faster tin... I've got limited experience with flying turbines in MSFS/P3D but I'd like to do it as realistically as practical...

The checklist that came with the plane is rather light - so I've found a real world one as a basis to start... I'm not sure how much of this we can implement in our operation of this aircraft and I can certainly change it accordingly... I know we have some real biz jet pilots around - so here's hoping they care to participate...

The PF and PNF on the headers of each column denote who is reading and confirming each task... Because we probably have a large range of experience - PF: Pilot Flying and PNF: Pilot Not Flying... Some of this might go beyond the scope of what's modeled...

863cffe5263ed0544466b3e335cd4f30_zpsopph

eda1cb841eabd95c925d3ffb3f2700a7_zpsmhus

So anyway - thoughts or ideas on the checklist ? Then we can go from there - because even with the AFM in hand - I've got a bunch of questions...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

LOL - thanks for the comment - hopefully we get something useful out of this...

Regards,
Scott

LOL - thanks for the comment - hopefully we get something useful out of this...

Regards,

Scott

Indeed you may! Go on down to the MCE forum and register your interest in the Learjet! If it gets the full works support, expect active checklists, with First Officer aware of every switch state, all controls fully mapped.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/374883-which-aircraft-would-you-like-to-see-interfaced-in-the-future/

Best regards

David.

Hi David,

Thanks - you seem to be a big fan - I'll have to take a closer look at MCE...

Regards,

Scott

Hi David,

Thanks - you seem to be a big fan - I'll have to take a closer look at MCE...

Regards,

Scott

Yes sir, been flying with a MCE virtual First Officer for a while now. The great thing (one of many) about MCE is the ability for us to add our own flows and our own checklists, if we find ones that are super accurate and work better for us. Of course you can just use those that come with the sim.

The free trial lets you fly with  all native FSX / P3d aircraft so nothing lost if you don't like it!

Cheers.

David

I saw the climb power charts in the real -35A manual, but I'm not sure how great a rw manual is when I don't know how real the fde is.

Anyway does anyone have rough power settings?  Like max cont climb varies by weight/temp/anti ice on etc.  But I used 90% during a climb to FL390 last night.  Is that reasonable?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan.

The Lear 35a RW charts show approx 98% for an IAS climb at 250 knots up to Fl 390. Assuming an accurate IAS hold.

But its an inexact science really. Even more so in our simulator. You mentioned, wind speed, weight, temp...These are but a few variables, for us to experiment with.

We have too many variables in our simulators. Weather engines and the way they are implemented? For example, I was flying from KSTS (Snoopy's airport) to Lake Tahoe the other day. Wind speed at FL 320 was 110 knots, at FL 130 it was 40 knots! The IAS climb was unusable, for obvious reasons! VS at 1200 fpm and n1 at 101%...

I wonder what the computers on the Airbus would have selected for those conditions! Lol.

Tell you what though, I have more fun in the simulator with the Lear 35a, than any other aircraft....some costing five times the price.

So I would say 90% n1 is a mean setting, I tend to be fore and aft with the power levers most of the time:-)

Cheers

David

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I've been climbing at 90% and throttling back to < 85% for cruise - then around 75% in a 2000 FPM decent... I haven't crunched the numbers yet - but - I had plans to make a quick cheat sheet for a few fixed configs and atmospherics...

It's tough to set the throttles where you want them - I wonder if they are very sensitive in real life...

Which brings me to my next question - we  don't firewall the throttles on takeoff - right - and has anyone computed V1, Vr, V2, Vref ???

Also - in FS9 we used to have addon gauges that would make call outs for V1, Vr, V2 - is there anyway to do this in P3D ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Was wondering the same - can you exceed 100% on takeoff? On some acft you can

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Which brings me to my next question - we don't firewall the throttles on takeoff - right - and has anyone computed V1, Vr, V2, Vref ???

Also - in FS9 we used to have addon gauges that would make call outs for V1, Vr, V2 - is there anyway to do this in P3D ?

Hi Scott, I am studying the official flight manual for those v speed references. Must be a formula in there?

As for call outs....I hear you saying "oh no not that MCE guy again"? Well, in MCE you can set the v speeds and the virtual First Officer will call them out! You can set them easily in the GUI, for any aircraft. He/she will call "v one/rotate/v two/positive rate"

I will try and put a short You Tube movie together to demonstrate.

Cheers

David

EDIT, Section 5.45 in the flight manual. Full tables are all there!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8qx0vj7p4q8yb3/Lear%2035%20AFM.pdf?dl=0

Hah - not at all - David - all good on me - I only get time on weekends to do any flying but I will check out MCE...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

I have a manual in which you have several graphs which you use to calculate the V-speeds. Pretty straightforward. I have to see if I can find the links again.. took some time till I found that one.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Does anyone know the typical fastest altitude?  FL390 I could get to mach .82 - seemed reasonable.  Higher tonite I'm at FL430 going to MRY and I could only do about mach .81

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

As an RW CJ pilot I would come up with a variation flow of the checklist you have and use it as a backing. As far as power settings you could try and dig up the performance charts for different elevations, weights and temperatures for the right settings for all segments of flight. In the CJ with the addition of FADEC all of that is taken care of now. However if you have a FADEC fault in flight you have to go to the performance chart to calculate max N1% if you want to fly it as close to RL as possible I would work on digging up those performance charts. I'm pretty sure all the Learjets lack any sort of FADEC so determining those power settings would be realistic.