Sign in to follow this  
wiler

XP10 GPU in 4k

My first Impression with the latest xp10 in 4k res and mostly high settings with my 980ti card oced to 1500/4000 mhz. took off from KSEA in the default 172 with sim locked to 30hz monitor refresh rate. well , the performace isnt as good as I hoped, p3d runs much better for me at these settings, way more smooth. I am getting a lot of stutters. Keep in mind I am an xplane noobie, i have no idea what to tweak or dial back. GPU is running at 99% ...xplane hammers the gpu way harder than p3d does.  

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

You can kill any PC with X-Plane 10. You simply have to reduce your settings.

In this area X-Plane 11 is better: It reduced the number of settings.

But a 4k Monitor is never advised, since it takes 4 times the pixel rate of a 1080p display.

My first Impression with the latest xp10 in 4k res and mostly high settings with my 980ti card oced to 1500/4000 mhz. took off from KSEA in the default 172 with sim locked to 30hz monitor refresh rate. well , the performace isnt as good as I hoped, p3d runs much better for me at these settings, way more smooth. I am getting a lot of stutters. Keep in mind I am an xplane noobie, i have no idea what to tweak or dial back. GPU is running at 99% ...xplane hammers the gpu way harder than p3d does.  

Yes XP will use al of your GPU as long as you're not CPU limited. Tweak your rendering options to get better results. At 4K you shouldn't need any AA for example. Also be aware of running out of VRAM. At 1080p with a 980Ti I will routinely go over 6GB of VRAM usage. This is with tons of addons of course but still.

I will dial back the AA and see what happens. Consequently I just got notified that I can dl the xp11 beta so im gonna do that now!! 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I have a gtx 1070 and a g-sync monitor and it runs fine in 4k - i don't actually find a huge difference in fps terms from 1080p to 4k unless i do crazy things with shadows. It just overtly illustrates the cpu limits. g-sync may help to smooth things out a lot though. i also find i need to only run fxaa at that resolution. 

Are you flying with clouds?  Lower the slider to 15-20%....  clouds kill performance in XP10 - it definitely needs work.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |