Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

bought a 4k monitor, poor performance

I bought a samsung 4k monitor and was so stoked to try it out on P3d v3.4. I wish I had not bought it, I went from 30 FPS down to 16 FPS. I am running a GTX 970. I didn't know that it would cause this much of a performance hit. Am I out of luck with this or can I squeeze some performance out of my 970?

Please help

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Hello Matthew,

What size monitor and resolution did you upgraded from?  What size 4K TV did you upgrade to?

If its a substantial size difference  IE 1080 25 inch to 40 inch 4K you can expect a FPS hit. Your pushing A LOT more pixels thru that 970!

Check out my thread here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/496019-upgraded-to-a-4k-tv-lost-some-fps/

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

I bought a samsung 4k monitor and was so stoked to try it out on P3d v3.4. I wish I had not bought it, I went from 30 FPS down to 16 FPS. I am running a GTX 970. I didn't know that it would cause this much of a performance hit. Am I out of luck with this or can I squeeze some performance out of my 970?

Please help

Did you do a fresh clean install of your video driver?  ditch any NI profile settings you don't need it. you should be getting 30 to 40 fps in most areas with a 970. What speed is your possessor.   

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

sorry for the lack of info everyone, i honestly didnt know what you all would need.

i upgraded from a 23 inch 1080p monitor to a 28 inch 4k monitor.

i have not done a frsh install of drivers and i actually never used NI for my p3d v3.4 switch from FSX. (i switched last christmas to p3d v3.1 and have upgraded to each version when they became available.)

Matt kubanda

I'm just guessing but if you only changed the monitor from a 23 1080 to a 28 4K you should not have lost half of your frames. Some fps lose was to be expected since you are pushing more pixels thru you 970. But I'm at a loss why you would lose half of your Fps.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

The size of the new monitor or TV will have ZERO effect on the fps. 4k is 4k, it's the fact that you are going up in resolution by 4x over what you were running before. That being said, did you reduce the anli-aliasing that you were running on the 1080 monitor as you won't need much if any with 4x as many pixels on your screen.

• Upvote 4

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

set the monitor / TV's refresh rate to 30 hrz

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

heres an update for everyone. I dialed back some settings in p3d like tesselation from high to low and changed cloud draw distance from 90 to 60. I also only have FXAA and 2X multisampling AA enabled and it has brought up my performance to what I was getting before + or - 2 or 3 frames.

The only issue now is performance with clouds and my first time having OOMs. Would going 4k increase my chances of OOMs? it seems it has.

Matt kubanda

Which version of Windows are you using?  Win 7?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Which version of Windows are you using?  Win 7?

W10 64 bit (not the anniversary update)

Did you do a fresh clean install of your video driver?  ditch any NI profile settings you don't need it. you should be getting 30 to 40 fps in most areas with a 970. What speed is your possessor.

processor is an old i7 2700k OCed to 4.6

Matt kubanda

I bought a samsung 4k monitor

Not sure it will make any difference to FPS, but this Samsung 4k set-up guide was useful for me, very comprehensive with a few settings I never realised existed. Written in 2015, but don't think things have changed that much.

https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

Eugene

Check to see if you can change the actual display input settings using the TV remote.  I changed the input on my LG from HDMI to "HDMI PC" and it made a difference.  

\Robert Hamlich/

Set your frame rate in P3D to 60, then try each of the hdmi inputs in turn with a fresh start of P3D.  I had the very same issue going to 4k until I found the 60hz input on the TV.  Now getting 60 fps all the time. Just don't get frustrated.  Be logical and don't fool around with changing all the settings in P3D until you get the right TV input.  Hope this helps

processor is an old i7 2700k OCed to 4.6

Still a great processor, especially for FSX/P3D, however with the motherboard used for these processors any overclocking of the processor is more prone to creating CPU/GPU bottlenecks (later i7 processors/motherboards are less prone to this).  This may not be the case with your setup, but it's something I'd recommend you evaluate and adjust your settings if required.  NOTE:  This would not be causing the majority of your issues, file this under "system grooming".

Check to see if you can change the actual display input settings using the TV remote. I changed the input on my LG from HDMI to "HDMI PC" and it made a difference.

Robert is spot on.  Depending on the TV, you should ensure you have PC=HDMI or PC.

GREAT INFORMATION

Rob Ainscough has done substantial test and evaluation of P3D/4K Settings and published his results in THIS THREAD, so I won't bother (or insult Rob) by re-typing it.  It's worth reading the ENTIRE THREAD, start to finish.

YOUR 4K TV SPECIFICATIONS

I might have missed it, but would you please repost the Make and Model of your 4K TV?  Also a link to the specifications, if you have it.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Robert is spot on.  Depending on the TV, you should ensure you have PC=HDMI or PC.

GREAT INFORMATION

Rob Ainscough has done substantial test and evaluation of P3D/4K Settings and published his results in THIS THREAD, so I won't bother (or insult Rob) by re-typing it.  It's worth reading the ENTIRE THREAD, start to finish.

YOUR 4K TV SPECIFICATIONS

I might have missed it, but would you please repost the Make and Model of your 4K TV?  Also a link to the specifications, if you have it.

hello,

i actually bought a specific 4k moniter. im using display port 1.2 so i can get 60hz refresh rate. the model number is samsung u28e590d. Ill look at the thread you mentioned sometime today or tonight. Thanks for helping!

Matt kubanda