Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

bought a 4k monitor, poor performance

Ah... my apologies my friend!  I missed that entirely!  That being the case, 'm not sure the info I provided will be of much use to you - though it could be, I have no experience with 4K monitors and their settings.

One thing I might suggest is to delete your shaders (they'll be rebuilt on a subsequent load).  I'm not sure if this was already recommended.

I'm very interested to see how you make out, and to learn the differences between a 4K TV and 4K monitor, and I'd love to know what settings you have available.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Ah... my apologies my friend!  I missed that entirely!  That being the case, 'm not sure the info I provided will be of much use to you - though it could be, I have no experience with 4K monitors and their settings.

One thing I might suggest is to delete your shaders (they'll be rebuilt on a subsequent load).  I'm not sure if this was already recommended.

I'm very interested to see how you make out, and to learn the differences between a 4K TV and 4K monitor, and I'd love to know what settings you have available.

Best wishes!

ill keep this thread updated. as of now, 4k on a smaller 28inch screen is fantastic. i really only need fxaa on and nothijg else. its an amazing experience, flying and computing in 4k.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

ill keep this thread updated. as of now, 4k on a smaller 28inch screen is fantastic. i really only need fxaa on and nothijg else. its an amazing experience, flying and computing in 4k.

I just plugged my in, did a few settings and go.  The only thing I needed was MSAA at 4x and anisotropic at 2x.  I tried the 30Hrtz and v sink tweak but on my system it seem to made performance worse so I am leaving it at 60 hrtz for now and do some more experiments later. If anything I'm getting better performance than before. Hope you can get it worked out.  Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I just plugged my in, did a few settings and go.  The only thing I needed was MSAA at 4x and anisotropic at 2x.  I tried the 30Hrtz and v sink tweak but on my system it seem to made performance worse so I am leaving it at 60 hrtz for now and do some more experiments later. If anything I'm getting better performance than before. Hope you can get it worked out.  Josh

Did you leave off AA within the sim?  My 4k tv should be here in a few days and I'm trying to find a starting point for my settings.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Interesting....I have a 22inch monitor and looking to upgrade to 4k. Will bear this in mind.

Interesting....I have a 22inch monitor and looking to upgrade to 4k. Will bear this in mind.

i have a 4k tv and i decided to go with a computer monitor for the smaller size. it seems more clear to me as well. I assume thats because the physical size of the pixels are smaller. upgrade to 4k...its worth it.

My other advice is to inveat in a gtx 1070 or other comparable card. My 970 does fine in very light weather conditions but cant hold up in bad weather.

Matt kubanda

Matthew,

Are you using an OS "size" ... I think Windows 10 (older verison not anniversary) would automatically set font/text/app sizing to 125% or 150% ... this could cause FPS issues in P3D.  Reason I ask is that many people with smaller sized 4K monitors often use the font/text/app sizing to increase size as to make it more readable and not so tiny on a smaller 4K monitor.

If so, try setting to 100% so no scaling.  Also per my P3D Guide, there is a table showing you what to expect when moving from 1080p to 2160p ... about a 21% performance drop but this will vary based on CPU/GPU ... does your 970 have 4GB VRAM or 2GB VRAM?  In your case, I'd suggest the bottleneck is your CPU ... best way to test which is the bottleneck is to use EVGA Precision X to monitor CPU and GPU usage during flight in P3D with and without clouds (just make sure you test with consistent weather themes and not 3rd party weather engines).  If your CPU is maxed at 99% then it's the CPU, if your GPU is maxed at 99% then it's the GPU.  If both then you might want to look at a system upgrade since you're pushing 4X more pixels -- 8,294,400 pixels that must have their color set per frame ... so at 30 FPS that would be 248,832,000 pixels changing every second vs. 1080p which is 62,208,000 pixels changing every second.

I like to break it down into actual numbers because I think it's important PC users understand just how much processing is happening in a very short period of time.

Cheers, Rob.

Matthew,

Are you using an OS "size" ... I think Windows 10 (older verison not anniversary) would automatically set font/text/app sizing to 125% or 150% ... this could cause FPS issues in P3D.  Reason I ask is that many people with smaller sized 4K monitors often use the font/text/app sizing to increase size as to make it more readable and not so tiny on a smaller 4K monitor.

If so, try setting to 100% so no scaling.  Also per my P3D Guide, there is a table showing you what to expect when moving from 1080p to 2160p ... about a 21% performance drop but this will vary based on CPU/GPU ... does your 970 have 4GB VRAM or 2GB VRAM?  In your case, I'd suggest the bottleneck is your CPU ... best way to test which is the bottleneck is to use EVGA Precision X to monitor CPU and GPU usage during flight in P3D with and without clouds (just make sure you test with consistent weather themes and not 3rd party weather engines).  If your CPU is maxed at 99% then it's the CPU, if your GPU is maxed at 99% then it's the GPU.  If both then you might want to look at a system upgrade since you're pushing 4X more pixels -- 8,294,400 pixels that must have their color set per frame ... so at 30 FPS that would be 248,832,000 pixels changing every second vs. 1080p which is 62,208,000 pixels changing every second.

I like to break it down into actual numbers because I think it's important PC users understand just how much processing is happening in a very short period of time.

Cheers, Rob.

I tried scaling down from 150% back to 100% in windows and it killed my FPS to about 6 FPS. I have been testing and it looks as if my CPU and GPU are pegged at 99%. They both are pegged at 99% on my old monitor at 1080p as well. Everything is good in terms of FPS but the default terrain loads slowly if at all. I pan down and it looks like the terrain that is 100 plus miles away. It's just blobs of color. I have the i7 920 OCed to 4.8 GHz and the 970 is the 4GB variant. Oh well. Ill give it a couple of weeks and if things don't change, I'm going to return it. Ill maybe wait until next year and purchase a 1070 along with the monitor.

If there is anything that can be done on my end, let me know.

Matt kubanda

The size of the new monitor or TV will have ZERO effect on the fps. 4k is 4k

Hello Dave,

Yea I read to much into the post and related it to my upgrade from a 1080p to 4k. I ASSUMED he went from a 1080 to 4k and went bigger. But yes you are on point resolution is the key. Hope I didn't lead anybody astray.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

looks like orbx stuff really messed up texture loading for some reason. every thing seems fine again after uninstalling it.

Matt kubanda

looks like orbx stuff really messed up texture loading for some reason. every thing seems fine again after uninstalling it.

I didn't notice any fps change going from 150% to 100% in the Win10 Anniversary Edition. The only drawback in P3d is that the menus and fonts are tiny.

I didn't notice any fps change going from 150% to 100% in the Win10 Anniversary Edition. The only drawback in P3d is that the menus and fonts are tiny.

i wish my perf didnt drop. Farther away objects look more crisp.

Matt kubanda

Did you leave off AA within the sim?  My 4k tv should be here in a few days and I'm trying to find a starting point for my settings.

i use 2x MS and leave FXAA ON. looks great! Theres still some shimmering but everything close and medium distance away looks crystal clear. My 970 cant handle anything higher than 2X MS

Matt kubanda

Thanks.  My settings are 2xMS but I leave FXAA off and use 2xSGSS and it seems to do a good job.  Once I tried 4xMS and I lost something like 8 FPS.  There's a bit of shimmering in the distance on things such as runway markings but up close is good.  It's a tradeoff I have to make I suppose since I'd destroy my performance if I went any higher.  And this is on a 1060.  At small airports I can get away with it but at the bigger ones such as the FSDT airports I have to sacrifice a few things.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Thanks.  My settings are 2xMS but I leave FXAA off and use 2xSGSS and it seems to do a good job.  Once I tried 4xMS and I lost something like 8 FPS.  There's a bit of shimmering in the distance on things such as runway markings but up close is good.  It's a tradeoff I have to make I suppose since I'd destroy my performance if I went any higher.  And this is on a 1060.  At small airports I can get away with it but at the bigger ones such as the FSDT airports I have to sacrifice a few things.

do you think a 1070 would do a better job? i was about to jump on a used one but other financial responsibilities came up.

Matt kubanda