Hi Folks,

Currently and ASN/REX user - on the fence about AS16/ASCA...

Anyone routinely doing hard IFR flights - looking for comparisons - am I going to be over or under whelmed ?

Since AS6 came out - I've always preferred the lowest resolution clouds because they always seemed the softest and most realistic looking - hah - long before REX Soft Clouds came along...

Does ASCA have a low resolution texture set that might satisfy my needs...

Like many - I'm just trying to ascertain whether AS16 is worth the expense...

Thaniks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott,

Yes, with ASCA it has a 512KB set which I use and scratch my head about what any higher resolution would do better...they look good.  Would I purchase it again knowing what I know?  Yep.  I use the dynamic clouds (which means I can't use REX but they change all the time and I get variation as I fly along.)  You can keep using REX if you don't use the dynamic.  I don't use the sky textures from ASCA yet...haven't seen pictures and I've heard they're not that good so I'm still using my old ones (I hope they get better!). 

One thing I'd add is on my 4.2 OC i7 with GTX970 hard IFR is hard on my system if I use 100% sky coverage.  I have to back it off some to get a smooth framerate out of Heathrow. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Folks,

Currently and ASN/REX user - on the fence about AS16/ASCA...

Anyone routinely doing hard IFR flights - looking for comparisons - am I going to be over or under whelmed ?

Since AS6 came out - I've always preferred the lowest resolution clouds because they always seemed the softest and most realistic looking - hah - long before REX Soft Clouds came along...

Does ASCA have a low resolution texture set that might satisfy my needs...

Like many - I'm just trying to ascertain whether AS16 is worth the expense...

Thaniks...

Regards,

Scott

I was on the fence for awhile and then ended up buying both. Honestly it is a significant increase in experience. I was happy with ASN, but I didn't realize how much better it could be. I use ASCA although I own rex soft clouds. 

Thanks Red !!!

Yeah - the changing clouds over the duration of your flight - definitely has me intrigued - understand THAT requires ASCA...

Regards,
Scott

And the latest iteration of ASCA has quite a few changes to the sky sets. The feedback has been excellent. If you haven't tried ASCA skies, you should check them out.

I fly multiplayer full IFR every week using AS16/ASCA - I actually get tense as I used to IRL.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And the latest iteration of ASCA has quite a few changes to the sky sets.

That's interesting.  I might do a backup and try them.  Not knowing what the color of the sky will be at sunset has real appeal.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Hi Folks,

First 5 minutes with AS16 and ASCA - - - looks good to me at low res...

Prepar3D%202016-11-26%2012-04-20_zpsjy0w

Regards,

Scott

I loaded up the sky textures and am trying them out.  A bit tricky setting out which texture to display under what conditions.  My first go, I was sitting in Hawaii and it chose a kind of hazy sky...normal for those conditions in most of the world but not on those islands.  Still, how cool is it to not know what the sky will look like!  The sim world becomes a bit more alive.

Gregg Seipp

Hi Gregg,

Yeah - I'm full auto on everything - results I've seen are pretty good... Way better than ASN...

Regards,

Scott