Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Asus Z170 vs MSI Z170

OK folks, I know this is could be highly subjective, but I'd really value your views anyway.

I've been a dedicated, and highly impressed Asus user for many years. It's at least 15 years since I've had an MSI motherboard, and it gave me grief.

I believe MSI have now become a major player in the top end range of boards.

Basically, I have just one question, broken into two parts...

A) Does anyone think I'd be disappointed with a new

Z170 board from them?

B) If so, in what regard.

I'm just trying to shave a few £ off a new build.

Many thanks for any feedback

Shaving a few pounds off a motherboard purchase strikes me as a questionable idea..

I am also a loyal Asus customer and would not even think of trying to save few quid / bucks on the motherboard which is the base of your whole system..

Bert

OK folks, I know this is could be highly subjective, but I'd really value your views anyway.

I've been a dedicated, and highly impressed Asus user for many years. It's at least 15 years since I've had an MSI motherboard, and it gave me grief.

I believe MSI have now become a major player in the top end range of boards.

Basically, I have just one question, broken into two parts...

A) Does anyone think I'd be disappointed with a new

Z170 board from them?

B) If so, in what regard.

I'm just trying to shave a few £ off a new build.

Many thanks for any feedback

I have no experience of MSI boards. Always went for Asus.

What's your budget for a board Phil? There are great Asus Z170 boards at all price levels.

EVGA make some nice boards too, as to Gigabyte.

OK guys, between your comments I've changed my mind.  Its why i love this forum.  I was thinking to shave a few £ to allow for a better CPU. As Bert says though, what's the point having a great CPU on base that I'm not 100% confident with.

Much as I feel Asus are being just a little greedy with the massive price difference between the A board and the Deluxe, I'll 'probably' go the Deluxe route.  I've watched sooooooo many youtube vids that my eyes have gone square;-)

Like i said.... I value your opinions.

As I say, I have the Deluxe. Love it, great board. AiSuite is quite useful as Well. I like FanXpert 3.

As I say, I have the Deluxe. Love it, great board. AiSuite is quite useful as Well. I like FanXpert 3.

If you and I aren't careful Martin, people will start talking about me & thee;-)

Will it be ok to uninstall Corsair Link with Z170 board, and do it all with Asus AI ?

Oh no.... After all that research, I missed the huge fact that although at least an extra £100, or even twice the price in some stores, the Deluxe board does NOT have onboard video. Grrrrrr......  No, of course I don't use it for simming, but have needed it on numerous occasions when graphics cards have died.

Bah humbug back to the drawing board. Board???

Now checking out the z170 Pro Gaming model, but not many about.

I use Aisuite or the option in bios to tune the fans for AIO even the pump or Air cooling.

In my option the Corsair link and NZXT Cam is crap for tune the AIO cooler.

Onboard video , you have display port and Hdmi for the IGP

Always Gigabyte for me.  Found them to be the most reliable by a country mile.  I've had a few MSI boards, and most were ok.  I wouldn't have an asus if you paid me (based on personal experiences)

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Oh no.... After all that research, I missed the huge fact that although at least an extra £100, or even twice the price in some stores, the Deluxe board does NOT have onboard video. Grrrrrr...... No, of course I don't use it for simming, but have needed it on numerous occasions when graphics cards have died.

Bah humbug back to the drawing board. Board???

Now checking out the z170 Pro Gaming model, but not many about.

As Hasse said Phil, the CPU has an onboard IGP(Integrated Graphics Processor). So no problem there. The Deluxe is capable of using the IGP like any board.

What's your budget.

Always Gigabyte for me.  Found them to be the most reliable by a country mile.  I've had a few MSI boards, and most were ok.  I wouldn't have an asus if you paid me (based on personal experiences)

I'm intrigued by that. Can you expand on it...  My experience has been the exact opposite. I've never had a faulty Asus board, but the last Gigabyte board I had (Pentium), although obviously of extremely high build quality, needed to be returned twice.  I got a refund in the end.  I'm not doubting you. Far from it. It's just a great example of how maybe one very bad experience clouds all future purchases.

It doesn't matter which motherboard manufacturer it is, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA... there will always be someone that states "I wouldn't have one if you paid me".

Those that have had issues with MSI would never again buy an MSI. Those that have had issues with Gigabyte would never again buy another Gigabyte.

It's a sample size of one. Human nature of course, once burnt twice shy.

The truth of the matter is that Asus have a good reputation for reliability. Asus support on the other hand could be objectively described as mediocre.

I've built something like 9 or 10 PC's by now, for myself, friends and relatives. Only ever had one motherboard issue. But of course, I am again, a sample size of one.

I'm intrigued by that. Can you expand on it...  My experience has been the exact opposite. I've never had a faulty Asus board, but the last Gigabyte board I had (Pentium), although obviously of extremely high build quality, needed to be returned twice.  I got a refund in the end.  I'm not doubting you. Far from it. It's just a great example of how maybe one very bad experience clouds all future purchases.

Yeh, I build PC's as a second income, and have done 100's down the years.  I've had at least half a dozen ASUS boards DOA, as well as a batch of boards fail in a few months (one year I built about 30 PC's between October and Xmas) and about 10 of these failed, all ASUS boards.  As Martin said, their support sucks big time.

I've used numerous brands, the odd MSI which have been ok (except one of the first Z68 boards that failed and took a 2600k with it - both replaced without issue by Scan incidentally).  Asrock are excellent for cheap machines.  I maintain though, i have never had even ONE Gigabyte board fail on me.  I have a customer who has a chain of bars who I supply office machines, and MP3/Spotify music servers to, so reliability is key.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

According to the link below, last year Asus were independantly deemed to be the most reliable make...

https://www.techpowerup.com/218171/asus-motherboards-adjudged-as-having-the-industrys-most-reliable

Lowest return rate in the industry.

One of the issues we should consider is static. Some think that damage from static manifests itself with a big flash, or causes instant failure. Not true, static discharge is rarely seen and often causes issues weeks or even months down the line.

According to the link below, last year Asus were independantly deemed to be the most reliable make...

https://www.techpowerup.com/218171/asus-motherboards-adjudged-as-having-the-industrys-most-reliable

Lowest return rate in the industry.

One of the issues we should consider is static. Some think that damage from static manifests itself with a big flash, or causes instant failure. Not true, static discharge is rarely seen and often causes issues weeks or even months down the line.

Martin, what RAM are you running in your z170, and are you happy with it?