Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Asus Z170 vs MSI Z170

I had an ASUS ROG Hero VI board. Fairly high end gaming board. Huge issues with this board that were common globally and ASUS either could not or would not acknowledge or issue a fix for the problem. Just Google it. The issue was that the CMOS clock would reset, affecting both BIOS and Windows time. This would happen randomly and regularly and if flying anything PMDG, would cause a total and unrecoverable failure of all autopilot functions. Around the same time I had purchased two different but similar MSI Gaming boards for my kids and was so impressed by the ultra fast boot times and ease of setup and use and rock solid stability. Their UEFI BIOS is miles ahead of ASUS.

I will never purchase another ASUS mobo. Want a good premium board for P3D- look at the MSI X-Power Gaming Titanium which supports the Core i7 6700K and auto overclocks it with rock solid stability to 4.7GHz with literally one click. MSI has risen above the overrated ASUS a while back already. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Martin, what RAM are you running in your z170, and are you happy with it?

I'm running  GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz. GSkill did a great job with this RAM. They used top quality Samsung modules and specifically designed the Ripjaw V and Trident Z series for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

I had an ASUS ROG Hero VI board. Fairly high end gaming board. Huge issues with this board that were common globally and ASUS either could not or would not acknowledge or issue a fix for the problem. Just Google it. The issue was that the CMOS clock would reset, affecting both BIOS and Windows time. This would happen randomly and regularly and if flying anything PMDG, would cause a total and unrecoverable failure of all autopilot functions. Around the same time I had purchased two different but similar MSI Gaming boards for my kids and was so impressed by the ultra fast boot times and ease of setup and use and rock solid stability. Their UEFI BIOS is miles ahead of ASUS.

I will never purchase another ASUS mobo. Want a good premium board for P3D- look at the MSI X-Power Gaming Titanium which supports the Core i7 6700K and auto overclocks it with rock solid stability to 4.7GHz with literally one click. MSI has risen above the overrated ASUS a while back already. :) :) :)

Yep. I remember that issue. It didn't effect me, but I did have a friend who was affected. I recall they eventually manged to fix it with an update, but it was a big issue for a while.

And there you go... I've never had any issues with Asus boards so favour them. On the other hand you have, so you don't favour them. In neither case does it tell us anything.

I do understand how if you have had issues you would feel that way though.

I doubt there's any motherboard manufacturer that hasn't had tricky issues to fix from time to time. This is why the best way is to look at figures for returns.

I'm running  GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz. GSkill did a great job with this RAM. They used top quality Samsung modules and specifically designed the Ripjaw V and Trident Z series for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

Yep. I remember that issue. It didn't effect me, but I did have a friend who was affected. I recall they eventually manged to fix it with an update, but it was a big issue for a while.

And there you go... I've never had any issues with Asus boards so favour them. On the other hand you have, so you don't favour them. In neither case does it tell us anything.

I do understand how if you have had issues you would feel that way though.

I doubt there's any motherboard manufacturer that hasn't had tricky issues to fix from time to time. This is why the best way is to look at figures for returns.

Bummer!  Can't anyonme in uk carrying iy for immediate dispatch.  I may end up with Corsair Vengeance. Still very good RAM i think.

If you are planning on running SLI, stay away from EVGA. The PCI slots that support SLI/Crossfire are side by side unlike boards from other manufacturers in the same price range. I've built PC's with Asus (just replaced a Maximus VII/4790k combo) and never had an issue. Unfortunately, every board manufacturer has had some kind of issues. Just find the board with the right mix of features and pricing and go for it.

Thanks Chris.  I use to really like EVGA, but over recent years, they seem to have dropped the ball a couple of time.

I've just 'pulled the trigger' on:

Asus Z170 Deluxe

Intel i7 6700k

16Gb Corsair Platinum 3200Mhz DDR4 (15-15-15-36)

Arrives tomorrow;-)

Stayed with Corsair Martin, for two reasons....

1) I can get it tomorrow

2) I've got something going on with Corsair that just 'might' get something in the way of a 'freebie' from them;-)  I'll keep you posted on that....

"MSI X-Power Gaming Titanium" Wow, pricey!

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Stayed with Corsair Martin, for two reasons....

1) I can get it tomorrow

2) I've got something going on with Corsair that just 'might' get something in the way of a 'freebie' from them;-)  I'll keep you posted on that....

Okay, very fancy light show with that Corsair RAM.  :smile:

I have Amazon Prime, so get most things next day.

Okay, very fancy light show with that Corsair RAM.  :smile:

I have Amazon Prime, so get most things next day.

Quite funny really, considering it'll not be seen where my case sits;-)  It was just the closest 2nd best to the Ripjaws I could find that will arrive by tmrw.  Tmrw being the only chance i'll have to build it for ages.  Just wish i could afford a nice GTX1070 or similar to in it.  Will have to make do with my 970 for some time to come:-(

Don't worry Phil, I failed to win the lottery today, but I'm sure next week I'll win millions. When I do I'll send you a few hundred quid for a graphics card.  :smile: Like a Ferrari too?

Don't worry Phil, I failed to win the lottery today, but I'm sure next week I'll win millions. When I do I'll send you a few hundred quid for a graphics card.  :smile: Like a Ferrari too?

no mate. I'm a lamborghini man.

Nearly wet myself laughing there...... Predictive text swapped lamborghini for "lamb or gin"

I also recommend taking a look as ASRock. I've had one for the past 3 years and love it. They seem to be gaining a bigger following. The BIOS interface is very user friendly. They're not flashy but very functional and not as expensive as some other manufacturers.

Hey Martin.... Need a little help with the z170 deluxe....   I may well never use it, but how the hell does that wifi 3 band antenna connect?  On the motherboard I/O connection they're threaded, but there are no free rotating collars on the wire ends!

Nor can I get my monitor to work with this hardware and Windows10.  Considering its an Asus monitor, i'm surprised.  Had to dig out a spare LG item:-(

Ho hum.... Now i have reinstall e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.......

Hey Martin.... Need a little help with the z170 deluxe....   I may well never use it, but how the hell does that wifi 3 band antenna connect?  On the motherboard I/O connection they're threaded, but there are no free rotating collars on the wire ends!

Dunno, ha, never connected it.  :smile: I'll have a look in a few minutes when I've fed my little kitten. He's very demanding.

Nor can I get my monitor to work with this hardware and Windows10. 

Have you set the monitor to the right cable type. Mine was black until I set it specifically to DVI.

Edit: Hi Phil, just had a look. Re the antenna connectors... It's a push fit, just push the little devils in.