Sign in to follow this  
flhx_ridr

So many OOM issues; How does anyone run FSX/P3D?

Like so many others, I too have been plagued by the dreaded OOM errors with FSX and P3D. The only aircraft I can fly with FSX are simple props from Carenado and that's with autogen at sparse and scenery complexity at "normal." And the Active Sky 16 I just bought is pretty much useless in FSX. I've sent a refund request for P3D. Thankfully, I still have FS2004 for my airline simulation.

My question is how does anyone run FSX or P3D without memory errors? I understand the whole VAS usage but since both are 32-bit programs, shouldn't everyone have the same problem? Why do some people have issues and others don't? I'd like to know what system the folks at Orbx are using to fly all these high end aircraft with scenery sliders maxed out without any issue. Am I missing something or should I plan on scrapping FSX too?

Admittedly, my PC is not the top of the line so I am looking for advice so I can get my money's worth with the add-ons that no longer seem to work in FSX.

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

OOMs have nothing to do with how strong your PC is.  It has to do with what add-ons you're using.  If you're flying in ORBX regions, turn your settings lower.  The old FSX 'remembers' everything it flies by...holds it in memory.  FSX-SE (I've heard) is better.  P3D 3.4 isn't as kind as P3D 3.3 but people are managing.

I fly heavy metal in P3D mostly...I turn regions off (I fly with Open LC) and I can get in and out of Heathrow in the 777 with plenty to spare and sliders to the right.  Also, turn down (or turn off Vector)...remove tertiary roads.  Cut back on AI traffic.  Often times it's an either/or situation.  You can run something heavy on VAS as long as you'll turn something else down.  Also, flying by two airports close to each other can mean OOM.  Some people only enable the airport they're flying from and the one they're flying to. 

Simstarter NG can make this sooo simple.  Pick your configuration and go.  Highly recommended.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You're running a 32-bit OS; that gives FSX at most 3GB of VAS (or 2GB if you're using FSX SP1 or less). A 64-bit version of Windows (plus some more RAM) will give you 33% more VAS.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

You're running a 32-bit OS; that gives FSX at most 3GB of VAS (or 2GB if you're using FSX SP1 or less). A 64-bit version of Windows (plus some more RAM) will give you 33% more VAS.

Cheers!

Good catch there.  I didn't notice his signature.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No OOMs in FSX:SE, however, I do not fly farther than 3 hours. 

Nvm, didn't see the bit about the 32-bit OS.  Might be a problem there.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

As stated above, your using a 32 bit operating system with 4 gigs of Ram.  A 32 bit operating system can only use a maxium of 4 gigs of ram, regardless of how much additional  ram you install. If I'm not mistaken, this also includes your video ram from your video card. You have a 2 gig video card. So, windows is using at least 1 gig, your video card is using 2gig, that leaves 1 gig left for VAS memory for your sim. And if you run any  other addon like Active Sky, that needs ram too, giving your flight sim even less. With that you would very easily OOM.

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I have built many machines. The best was a dual proc. with an NVidia 6800k. used to get over 100 FPS at time. Of course that was with FS9. I retired it because it was too damn loud! No internal water cooling back then. Ran two FX 57's if memory serves. Used PCI 1. 16 GB ram. Raided two 74 GB 10,000 RPM drives. I still have it hanging around. I used it's 1000 Watt Galexy PSU, still using it.

Retired, got sick of paying big bucks for stuff that went out of date too soon for my taste. Ended up worki8ng more "AFTER" I retired than before, sounds stupid I know. Have been busy building cabinets out of wood, not particle board, people see em and want em. I used to be an Operating Engineer.

In any event. finding some time now, I leaned back into siming. I built a machione with an Asus Sabertooth v.1 mobo with an AMD 8350 with 16 GB 1666 Ram. I stuck a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD SATA 490 GB unit in it. Recently added an Asus Strick R390 8 GB video card. I then tried installing FSX and then Steam next to it. It was ok but slow in the FPS department. Flew across the pond no oom's, just lousy frames at Heathrow then KBOS.

Microsoft was a pain in the butt with the Win 10 gig. I finely gave in when I read on PMDG's site that it ran FSX fine. Installed Win 10 on two machines. I then made the smartest move ever, by accident! I bought Steam for almost nothing and DLoaded it and it went smoothly, took about 30 min. Turned out to be a real good move. I have no problems and get good frames. Have had many video cards, heard all the arguments. The one thing I noticed is that AMD's cards produced way fewer stutters. Every time I used NVidia I had to tweak and adjust for ever before getting good results. Never had that problem with AMD's cards?

If you do a clean install of Steams version of FSX you will see no FSX-SE folders, only FSX! I run Aivlasoft EFB on two machines and GSX, Both NOT from Steams site. Again no problems. GSX runs outside of the sim for the most part.

16 bits in not enough. AMD gave us 64!

Good luck BaldyB

As stated above, your using a 32 bit operating system with 4 gigs of Ram.  A 32 bit operating system can only use a maxium of 4 gigs of ram, regardless of how much additional  ram you install. If I'm not mistaken, this also includes your video ram from your video card. You have a 2 gig video card. So, windows is using at least 1 gig, your video card is using 2gig, that leaves 1 gig left for VAS memory for your sim. And if you run any  other addon like Active Sky, that needs ram too, giving your flight sim even less. With that you would very easily OOM.

This is incorrect.  A 32/64 bit OS can use as much RAM as can be installed.  What you are trying to describe might be Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Microsoft Windows limits 4GB's of VAS per application in a 64 bit OS.  When the sim runs out of memory, it is really running out of VAS and, as described in the PMDG Intro Guide regarding VAS, the error message for running out of VAS probably should have been something like "your application has run out of VAS".  More information can be found in the AVSIM CTD Guide under OOM's.

As stated by Luke above, a 32 bit OS can only use up to 3GB's of VAS (3GB's with a /3GB switch; 2GB's w/o the switch).  So a 64 bit OS is the optimal OS to install for any application.

If and when an application, like P3D, becomes a 64 bit application in a 64 bit Operating System, instead of 4GB's of VAS, an application will get up to 8TB's of space or virtually unlimited space.  You'll need a 10TB or greater SSD/HDD to take advantage of the additional space.

Your video card does not take any of the VAS space.  Just your application uses the space.  With powerful systems, the VAS space gets utilized greater than with old 2 core computer systems.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the information guys. I realize my system, while adequate, is lower end these days and requires me to understand it's limitations. I ran some test flights last night after removing some memory intensive Orbx products and made some scenery adjustments in FSX. Read many forum posts on the topic as well as the excellent "AVSIM Crash To Desktop Guide" that was sitting right under my nose. I think what it boils down to - at least for my rig - is that I need to give up nice eye candy in exchange for flying complex aircraft. The end result was I was able to load up my Carenado Phenom 100 for an hour long flight without any hiccups with scenery complexity set at "Normal" and Autogen scenery set at "Sparse." Considering that I couldn't even taxi to the runway without a CTD or OOM error is a huge improvement.

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

some test flights last night after removing some memory intensive Orbx products and made some scenery adjustments in FSX

If your are not familiar with Ray Smith's sceneries, they are excellent and use only FSX default scenery objects which make them easy of your system.  Ray's sceneries are in the AVSIM library.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If and when an application, like P3D, becomes a 64 bit application in a 64 bit Operating System, instead of 4GB's of VAS, an application will get up to 8TB's of space or virtually unlimited space.  You'll need a 10TB or greater SSD/HDD to take advantage of the additional space.

As long as you have more than 4GB of storage (everybody), you can take advantage of it.

What 64-bit code allows you to do is load *everything* in the sim into memory. Got 10TB of scenery? No problem. It's all loaded into memory, virtual memory that is. The Operating System won't actually load it into RAM until it gets accessed, at which point you get a page fault and the data gets paged into RAM from disk. As you start using more and more and run up against the limits of physical memory, the Operating System will start evicting bits out of RAM as needed.

OS paging systems are far, far better than application memory management. This is why devices such as iPhones (which only have 1GB or 2GB of physical) are going 64-bit; the advantage of memory mapping and a flat 64-bit address space from a development and memory management perspective are compelling.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.