Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Your new Clouds shadows add-on

Hi Steve,

A word of thanks and congratulations for yet another great product adding new life to FSX. This is a very neat add-on that - like your DX10 fixer - worked right "out of the box", thank you, this is for me the only FSX visible dimension that was missing compared to P3D really, although I understand it is a bit more limited in that the shadows won't follow the sun, but nevertheless this is a great improvement!

Incidentally, I was lucky to read another thread on AVSIM this morning, this is how I learnt about it, so I thought that this new thread would trigger some interest from other simmers.

Thanks for your continued efforts to improve our simulation experience.

• Upvote 1

Found it on Steves blog. But does not seem to be through normal sellers and doea not aay how it is delivered. Before purchasing, could you advise how one receives download info once purchased?

Stuart

Ignore my last email.

Purchased and downloaded successfully.

Thanka dor the heads up.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Just installed the Clouds Shadow addon and upgraded library and entered licence key.

Loaded FSX at Oslo.

Ensured Aircraft self shadow ticked.

set weather to fair weather cumulus,

set water slider to mid 2,

slewed to 3000 ft and then unslewed the sim.

Plenty of cumulus clouds but I cant see any shadows at all! Am I missing something?

Other addons being used: FTX Norway, AoN Airports Ezdok, Rex Soft Clouds.

Any advise to get this working?

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Loaded FSX at Oslo.

Do you  have Aerosoft's Oslo? There's a tickbox for that in the Legacy options.... I've not got around to grabbing the update myself yet. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Stuart, I replied to your comment on my blog as I saw that first.

Please provide details of the aircraft and Dx10fixer version.

If you use an aircraft that has no VC shadows set then you will not see cloud shadows ie if you don't have force VC shadows set in fsx.cfg and the aircraft doesn't support them by default for example.

if you have fixer 3.0 and multiple monitors you won't see them either.

Also after slewing you would need to wait maybe a couple of minutes for the shadows to appear. It uses the height above the ground, but it is heavily damped and will only adjust slowly to avoid anomalies if there is a cliff underneath the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Steve,

As I answered briefly in your blog, I am using the Majestic Dash8400 on a single monitor. I must admit that I don't really notice shadows in the vc but would have rhought such a greataircraft would have them implemented. I thought I added the Force VC Shadows entry in the FSX.cfg anyqay, but will need to check.

I just tried again without slewing but taking off and I still dont see any distinct shadows on the ground. The area around Oslo airport is pretty flat.

Re Marks post above I don't have Aerosofts Oslo instalked at the moment.

What are the critical settings in both the fixer and FSX in order to make the ground shadows visible.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Steve,

Just checked, and ForceVCShadowMap=1 does exit in the FSX.cfg Display listing. So I tried firing up the Aerosoft Dash 6 Xtended, and low and behold the cloud shadows appeared. I had turned up the shadow slider in the fixer so they did look a bit dark, but they were there. So I guess the issue must be with the Majestic Dash. If that's the case, then not sure if there is anything that can be done to resolve.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I stumbled on this little addon, ran to install it and, despite its limitations, it makes a ton of difference. 

When you have it running I suggest you fly over sea and look at the clouds and their shadows passing over the sun's reflection on the water. It was quite a sight!

Thank you Steve for dedicating to this. Now all I ask from you is a slider to control cloud reflection smudging so that the reflections don't look so clear, which, FSX is to blame,  isn't realistic at all over the sea.

Alex

Rui Laureano

Lisboa, Portugal

Guys

unfortunately I don't have any cloud shadows either!

ForceVCShadowMap=1 is set water slider at high 2 and all this with the NGX or PMDG 777

shadow on it self ticked !

I'm lost :-/

Bruno

Bruno 

Hmmm, same here...

ForceVCShadowMap=1

AC self shadow on

2.Mid water

FSX SE

FSL A320

Any of you guys using Mogwaisoft Shade by chance? Haven't tried to disable it yet.

Cheers,

Hendrik Horeis

mjc q400 works fine, vc and land shadows ok.

cs_q4.jpg

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Can you both confirm that you have upgraded to version 3.1 of the fixer, the games is not paused, that you haven't used slew and your altitude above ground level is greater than 1000ft and also. that it's daytime.

Steve, sorry, I forgot to mention the most important part of all in my list  :wink:

Yes, it's 3.1, game has not been paused, neither slew'ed. Cruising @FL380 right now during daytime.

What else might be relevant, hm... AS16 here with latest beta.

Hendrik Horeis

But wait, isn't the sim somehow automatically paused during the initialization phase of the FSL bus and even the PMDG birds? Might that be the culprit? Would try with a Cessna but I'm into a flight right now  :wink:

Hendrik Horeis