Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

DX10 fixer cloud shadow addon

Steve just released the dx10 fixer--cloud shadow addon.  

it looks really good, no performance impact for me.  as altitude passes at around the 1000ft agl mark, the shadows slowly fade in/out so it's done quite well.  

with the dx10 fixer vc shadows going, fsx looks like a million bucks.  

cs_1.jpg

cs_4.jpg

as noted in Steve's product description, there are visual anomalies when using in mountainous terrain.  i can see a shadow front moving with the aircraft as shown in red below.  not a buzz kill but perhaps there's a tweak in the app setup or Steve can eventually blend the shadow better in such scenarios.     

cs_3.jpg

all in all, an amazing addon to an already essential fsx addon.  

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Excellent!  I should check Steve's blog more often! Thanks.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks Bjoern. 

Water set to 2x medium may cause issues... and another 10 pounds UK might cause wife issues ! LOL :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

i don't think this is experimental or limited--as an extension to Steve's revolutionary dx10 fixer, it's solid and again transforms the fsx experience.  fsx got another lease on life until p3d 64b comes out.  i've been using 2.x water all along so no performance issue here.  

speaking of water, water now looks more realistic with cloud shadows blocking reflection.

cs_f16.jpg

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

This is an amazing add on. I fly FSX SE with AS16, ASCA and Reshade. However it appears to me that Reshade does not work with the new Cloud Shadows add on. Can anyone else confirm if they cannot see shadow while using Reshade?

This is an amazing add on. I fly FSX SE with AS16, ASCA and Reshade. However it appears to me that Reshade does not work with the new Cloud Shadows add on. Can anyone else confirm if they cannot see shadow while using Reshade?

That's correct.  I was getting ready to order and noticed the following: 

Compatibility and Requirements

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 all 32/64 bit. (Windows XP does not support DX10 and so is not supported!)

Microsoft FSX SP2,Gold or Acceleration.

Dovetail Steam Edition is supported only insofar as the DX10 Shaders and interface remain the same as in the Gold Edition.

Not compatible with Reshade.

Purchase of DX10SceneryFixer required and you must update to 3.1 or later.

David

• Upvote 1

David Russell

Commercial Pilot

Airplane Single Engine Land Instrument Airplane

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 all 32/64 bit. (Windows XP does not support DX10 and so is not supported!)

Dovetail Steam Edition is supported only insofar as the DX10 Shaders and interface remain the same as in the Gold Edition.

David

Good find. However it is unfortunate. It's very difficult to fly FSX without HDR turned on once you've tried it. Reshade is a requirement for me now.

Nice to know, I don't use on P3D at all it is FPS killer and if you don't have shadows  ultra it looks ridiculous, I will try on FSX=SE for sure.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Is anyone using this successfully with REX4/soft clouds?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

David

I can confirm that Cloud Shadows are compatible with the older ReShade builds. Using build (ReShade 0.19.2 SweetFX 2.0) I have no issues with the add on. However it does not work with version 3 which I believe is the latest.

I'll definitely be picking this up once it's back on sale.  (Steve pulled it while he tweaks some installation issues.)

• Upvote 1

Alexander Alonso

Back on sale.

• Upvote 1