Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

DX10 fixer cloud shadow addon

This is FANTASTIC!  Sure, less that perfect but FSX is all about compromises to reality.  Cloud shadows were the only real draw P3D had for me, and now that's over (never drank that cool-aid).  Ten years old and still kickin'...excellent work SteveFx...you're da MAN!!!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

FSX initially had cloud shadows in its beta, but they were dropped from the RTM version.

CLOUDSHADOWS4.png

Edited by magnetite

Also the guys at REX figured out how to implement cloud ground shadows years ago and posted some screen shots but then decided not to use them in their prodcut as the performance hit was too great. I guess Steve figured out how to do it with a minimal hit to performance.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Big bummer, it is not compatible with FSL Spotlight, which is used by the FSL A320X (you can disable spotlight, but lose flood lights, map lights, etc in the VC), and reading Steve's blog seems to indicate that this will never be fixed 

FSX initially had cloud shadows in its beta, but they were dropped from the RTM version.

CLOUDSHADOWS4.png

Are you Alainneedle? I haven't seen him here in a while and noticed that screen shot was linked to his photobucket.

Btw, I wonder what the FSX.cfg entry was to turn it on and off in the beta version and if that entry was added back in, if it would work I RTM?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The DTG Flight School FSc.cfg has this entry under [GRAPHICS] : CLOUD_SHADOWS=0

I've tried this in FSX without any effect.  I don't know how or why this entry exists, though when enable in Flight School it creates a mess.

My initial impression of the SteveFx DX10 cloud add-on is that the lack of shadows at takeoff is no big deal, though when they disappear on your landing approach it is a little jarring.  Obviously this is not nearly as polished an implementation as in P3D (but way better than nothing).  Overall a most welcomed update which breathes a little more life into FSX.  The performance hit is nearly nonexistent on my rig, though I run a gtx 1070 driving 2560x1440 with a 4770k at 4.5Gh.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

clouds start to slowly fade away at 1000' agl when landing so i don't see it as jarring. Rather, it's well done.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Are you Alainneedle? I haven't seen him here in a while and noticed that screen shot was linked to his photobucket.

Btw, I wonder what the FSX.cfg entry was to turn it on and off in the beta version and if that entry was added back in, if it would work I RTM?

No, I just Googled that image.