Sign in to follow this  
CaptnT

Help - new to XP, graphics

Hi

For a long time I wanted to get back into fsim so about two weeks ago I finally took the first step and bought XP 10.

Unfortunately I am a little disappointed now. My main issue is the graphics. I tried all kinds of settings but I can't get it to look even close to all the videos I see on youtube. Now I am aware that I don't have any custom scenery installed. As a matter of fact, the only plugin I have is the IXEG Boeing 737-300.

Here is the problem: sometimes my frame rates are between 40 and 50. And then they can drop to as low as 10. Also the scenery looks very "pixeled" and sometimes it looks like every object is made out of "ants crawling across the screen" (sorry I have no better way to describe it).

The system that I am using is IMHO pretty decent: DELL XPS 8500, I7-3770 3.40 GHZ, Win 10 64, 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GT 635

So what is the weak link that I am missing? Does the screen have anything to do with it (I am using a pretty cheap ACER)?

Thank you for your time and insight.

Tom

Your video card is quite weak

XP10 still requires a decent video card. The ants crawling is probably your AA - you can try to enable it under rendering options.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes.

It's a low end budget card stores like Best Buy use.

I'd look for a GTX 960 if you can - but your power supply would have to be good enough.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Would you say that the Nvidia GeForce GT 635 is not sufficient?

I would...and in XP, you need at least 6 GB's of VRAM...to prevent co-swapping of your main memory, causing slowdowns, stutters, etc.

XP loads in all the scenery you need, in the fell swoop....unlike fly and load, of FSX and P3D.   This way, you avoid micro-stutters from seek and load, of your HD.  Believe me...an 8 GB Pascal card is not over-kill.

Your video card is quite weak

XP10 still requires a decent video card. The ants crawling is probably your AA - you can try to enable it under rendering options.

That's putting it mildly, that's an incredibly weak GPU. At this point in time I would say the 6GB 1060 is minimum for a good experience.

I have the "broken" GTX 970 and it's working fine so far.  Obviously once I heap all my addons into it will be less happy.  But it is late 2016 software running on my 2011 hardware.  I was presuming his system is a budget system from a retail store and he wanted to keep costs down.  Plus I'm not sure if I would trust the PSU in his PC with a newer card.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |