Sign in to follow this  
brucek

My Little Brother has Brain Cancer

My little bro has a cancerous brain tumor, right on the thalamus, its big.... I can't believe it...Eight years old, 5 out of 100,000 people..... all the details are in the link below.. I've spent the last few days in Philadelphia with him in the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia...so the first post isn't exactly the most current...Click here for details: http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30578Can someone explain the AVSIM Cancer Team to me, I clicked on the link and it only brought me to a statisical page- is there any purpose that is beneficial to someone? I'm just curious..If any of you know experimental treatments or new ones which are being developed, please inform me- surgery is not an option right now and we are ready to travel the world to find a cure and make him the happiest little boy he once was.If you pray, please, please pray for him.Jason

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm sorry to hear about this, I know how hard it is to have a family member with cancer, let alone worry about it oneself.Experimental treatment is divided into two areas--anti-tumor medications and surgical approaches. I somewhat recall hearing of a team in Australia that had some success on inoperable brain tumors, but that may be my imagination.I suggest you do a Google "News" search--it is a very effective tool in researching medical treatments that break new ground. And new ground is being broken every day. Regards,John

RE: the AVSIM Cancer TeamYou've probably heard of these "distributed computing" projects out there. SETI (Search for ET Intelligence), etc. Basically it puts a little client utility on your computer that uses your unused CPU cycles to perform some kind of work. The Grid.org project performs various medical research tasks. Cancer, smallpox, anthrax, human proteome folding... So you can volunteer your PC's unused CPU cycles to help (hopefully) find cures for diseases. Over 500 of us are already members of the AVSIM team.

:( Very sorry to hear. Is it a ganglioglioma? Astrocytoma?Yeah, the thalamus is a relatively large structure in the brain and is broken into many different regions. They are all associated with neural relays to many parts of the brain, auditory, visual, sensory, motor, and so on. Nothing is easy with regard to the brain, from normal function to abnormal processes.I hope everything works out for the best.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope everything turns out for the best.

Hi Jason,Our prayers for your brother and your family.Stay Strong.Best Regards,Joe

Jason,That is terrible. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Jason, from all of us at AVSIM, our sincere condolances. I think Kurtis gave a pretty good answer regarding the AVSIM Team and we hope to see you there. It is a worthy cause, and someday may allow us to claim victory over cancer. Only the good lord knows for sure, and all we can do is hope that our small contribution via the Grid may some day bear fruit.As for your brother, I can't begin to imagine the agony that your family is in. All we can do is offer our presence and the community here for strength as you need it, and our prayers of course. Please do not hesitate to draw upon us. A large set of shoulders, world-wide, is a resource that we all need once in a while.

John, Kurtis, Chris, Ken, Joe, Fred and Tom,I thank you all so much for your support.Upon turning my cell phone on after school today, I heard the best news so far- his brain tumor has been officially been declared at Grade II by the pathologists and oncologist, which means it is treatable with Chemo and Radiation, and he falls into the 'high-survival' group of patients.I also wish to think you for all of your prayers, and to please keep on praying if you do- there is so much more hope now than there was before. Even better news for Timmy is that he gets to come home for the weekend and just be himself- allow some stress to come off of him.Thank you again,Jason

That's great news, Jason. We'll all be hoping and praying for the best.

Jason,I'm sure this has been very sobering news for yourself and your family. Here's hoping that your brother makes a full recovery.Joe

Hi Jason,I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. Yes, I'll pray for him. Bruce.