Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

Affinity Mask, value needed

Hello

I have a question about affinity mask settings. I have a 4ghz quad core system and it appears the system has 8 logical cores so which affinity mask setting should I use, I tried a 84 setting and I kept getting freezes due to one of the cores getting overloaded, so my question. What setting should I use to make sure that core #0 is not being used. Thanks for the help.

Signed Jon.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Maybe I should've rephrased the question, how exactly would I change the affinity mask setting to exclude core 0 because I'm just really confused on that step.

Signed Jon.

Use any even number.  Core zero is the only value that can make the number odd, so, if your number is even it is excluded.  I use 244, giving the sim 5 cores.

BTW, are you overclocking? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Use any even number.  Core zero is the only value that can make the number odd, so, if your number is even it is excluded.  I use 244, giving the sim 5 cores.

BTW, are you overclocking? 

Yeah tried 244, it still froze trying to fix the fsx freeze as I've narrowed it down to the affinity mask setting.

Signed Jon

With HT enabled remember cores have two logical processors. With a four core HT enabled, first try it with four straight cores AffinityMask=85=01,01,01,01, next make sure all your exe addons run on cores 2 and 3 avoiding cores 0 and 1 so in that case assign LPs 5 and 7 (cores 2 and 3) to all addon exe apps (10,10,00,00).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I would think that the underlying question is actually:  How do I exclude the first of my four (physical-) cores.

In that case you want to have an AM that ends in  00.

Examples: 244 = 11 11 01 00

84  = 01 01 01 00

Bert

the underlying quetion is why he gets the freezes, and since the first LP is always running hot he's probably mistaking that for the "one of the cores getting overloaded"

So if you do want to only use those three physical cores for the sim put those addon exe apps on LPs 0 and 1, the two logical processors of core zero, and use an AffinityMask=116 for the sim.

Generally all those AMs are going to amount to similar performance, whereas "freezing" might be caused by a number of problems; try running the sim in stock trim then bring in addons like weather and ai traffic and retest.

Hey Bert, my problem with this Q. is that I don't think AMs (esp. those AMs discussed so far) are really going to be responsible for any pauses glitches or freezes.

I would check there's no overheating and for more testing rename the dll.xml and exe.xml temporarily.

If you are using steam edition, affinity mask is no longer needed, only if you want to try different settings. I have read complete fsx steam changelog, affinity mask is set during installation based on your CPU. Just tested it yesterday, you don't need to change anything even if you play with HT on / off, it seems to detect changes too. It sets FSX not to use first core, and to use the rest of physical cores(probably 14 / 84 values). 

HT off:

https://s22.postimg.org/lv7re36xd/Capture.jpg

HT on:

https://s21.postimg.org/hxm57ywpz/Capture.jpg

I am impresed with Steam edition, they changed a lot of things, not too much tweaking is needed anymore. I'm using BP=0 only. It works great even without it, but BP=0 helps with complex airliners over fps hungry sceneries. 

To add something about freezing - try to disable windows update service - set it to manual. There is a problem with(at least in windows 7). For some people, this solved bluries, for me, it increased FSX performance too. It puts additional load on CPU(a lot)while FSX is running.

I still get some microstutters with orbx vector enabled, but only since my SSD decided to day a month after warranty period expired  :P

Hey Bert, my problem with this Q. is that I don't think AMs (esp. those AMs discussed so far) are really going to be responsible for any pauses glitches or freezes.

I understand.. the pauses may have an other origin entirely.. :wink:

Bert

edit

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I would think that the underlying question is actually:  How do I exclude the first of my four (physical-) cores.

In that case you want to have an AM that ends in  00.

Examples: 244 = 11 11 01 00

84  = 01 01 01 00

Thanks I've tried 244 it failed as I mentioned, I also tried 84 so that didn't do much either although the freezes were less frequent, I'll try the other numbers.

I would check there's no overheating and for more testing rename the dll.xml and exe.xml temporarily.

There doesn't seem to be overheating although I'll check I also haven't overclocked it in any way. What do you mean by rename the dll.xml and exe.xml, I've already tried other methods, basically all I could find and the only thing that increased or decreased the frequency of the freezes was affinity mask, for default aircraft it doesn't come on, but as soon as I use something like pmdg 747 they come., There also seems to be no connection with my weather program, while the freezes did stop on some flights with the weather program I've tried 2 different weather programs and they both have had freezing occur, it also doesn't appear to relate as whether the weather program could find a station since the freezes occurred several times in area where the stations were bountiful in number. I mostly came to affinity mask because everything else that had worked for anyone else apart from affinity mask had done nothing for me. By the way thanks everyone for all the responses.

Signed Jon.