Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Xplane 11 - Mouselook?

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but I tried to find a way to bind my middle mouse button to mouse look. I cant really seem to find any settings for the mouse at all. Xplane 11 gives me bind options for my joystick and keyboard, but where can I find bindings for my mouse?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I find that my mouse cursor disappears when I move it to the XPlane 11 beta window.  If I return to my windows desktop and right-click, it will appear in XPlane 11 for one click, then it disappears.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Jeff Callender

So they didn't change that? It's still not possible to hold a key with your left hand while moving the mouse to look around like FSX/P3D?

It's a real pain in the rear to use the RMB. I hope they made it possible to brake with a single joystick button, that was another basic flaw.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

A bit off topic, but a nice feature that you might be wishing for when coming from EZdok: You can store up to 10 predefined cockpit views in every plane by just setting up the view and then use Ctrl+Num X (any numer on the num pad). To quickly get to that view from then on, just press that numer on the Num block.

It is sotred per aircraft and you can overwrite a setting anytime. You can also assign a button to every view.

• Upvote 1

So they didn't change that? It's still not possible to hold a key with your left hand while moving the mouse to look around like FSX/P3D?

It's a real pain in the rear to use the RMB. I hope they made it possible to brake with a single joystick button, that was another basic flaw.

It's a pain because you're not used to it. And you can brake using a single joystick button.

It's a pain because you're not used to it. And you can brake using a single joystick button.

Agreed. When I switched to X-Plane 2 years ago, it took a while to get used to the new mouse look concept. But after just a few weeks, FSX/P3D's view system felt very uncomfortable. It's just a matter of what you are used to, but I would agree that it always takes a bit of adjustment when you use both sims side by side.

This is a pet hate of mine too. You can only use the parking brake with a single button, not the toe brakes.

It really needs a single command to apply both toe brakes.

This is a pet hate of mine too. You can only use the parking brake with a single button, not the toe brakes.

It really needs a single command to apply both toe brakes.

I think you can set keys to either "brake with 50% effort" or "brake with 100% effort". You can also set them to "brake while pushed" and "toggle brake on/off".

The default is "b" for 50%, toggle on/off and "v" for 100%, toggle on/off (this doubles as parking brake).

But you can re-assigne buttons and keys as you please, so just set the "b" key to "brake with 50%, only brake while pushed", if you like.

Jan

Click and hold the right button and pan around.

Also double clicking the right mouse button will put you into full free mouse look. So you can pan around without having to constantly hold the mouse button. To exit just double click again.

I disagree. I have been using X-Plane for over a year and it's still a pain to hold the RMB to pan. It's counter-intuitive and harder to move the mouse then use the RMB to act on whatever control.

I know X-Plane fans tend to defend the simulator the best way they can, but this is just wrong (in the way you cannot change the way it works). We should be allowed to select the key to pan.

As for braking with a single joystick button, i'd love to know how that is done, because i cannot find the control for that. I could only find two separate controls for left and right braking.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I think you can set keys to either "brake with 50% effort" or "brake with 100% effort". You can also set them to "brake while pushed" and "toggle brake on/off".

The default is "b" for 50%, toggle on/off and "v" for 100%, toggle on/off (this doubles as parking brake).

But you can re-assigne buttons and keys as you please, so just set the "b" key to "brake with 50%, only brake while pushed", if you like.

Jan

Hold Brakes Regular

Hold Brakes Maximum

Toggle Brakes Regular Effort

Toggle Brakes Max Effort

All the above commands actuate the parking brake (load up the default 747 and watch).

The following commands actuate the toe brakes

Hold Left Brake

Hold Right Brake

Ideally there should be a "Hold Both Brakes" command for a single button/key actuation.

To avoid confusion the Parking Brake commands ought to be renamed "Hold Parking Brake Regular" etc.

As well as being annoying, it can play havoc with ACARS systems which log Parking Brake ON - Parking Brake OFF each time you tap the brakes.

• Upvote 1

Hold Brakes Regular

Hold Brakes Maximum

Toggle Brakes Regular Effort

Toggle Brakes Max Effort

All the above commands actuate the parking brake (load up the default 747 and watch).

In most planes (at least almost all the addons I use) only hold/toggle brakes maximum will trigger the parking brake. Hold/toggle brakes regular actuate normal brakes. However, there are some planes (the default 747 might be one of them) where "regular" brakes are also bound to the parking brake.

I know X-Plane fans tend to defend the simulator the best way they can, but this is just wrong (in the way you cannot change the way it works). We should be allowed to select the key to pan.

That's just the same for FSX/P3D fans :wink:

While I agree that we should be able to set a custom button for the mouse look, I think that the current RMB function is fine. I was always finding myself thinking "why does it have to be so uncomfortable" when using FSX from time to time and having to use the space bar to toggle mouse look.

With the "X-Plane system", I am always having a hand free to do things like pushing the ATC-button when flying online, making throttle/prop/mixture adjustemts etc. while using the right hand to look around in the cockpit, change frequencies, dialing in new values on the MCP etc.

I disagree. I have been using X-Plane for over a year and it's still a pain to hold the RMB to pan. It's counter-intuitive and harder to move the mouse then use the RMB to act on whatever control.

As for braking with a single joystick button, i'd love to know how that is done, because i cannot find the control for that. I could only find two separate controls for left and right braking.

I agree you should be able to change it to your liking but I'm mystified you find the camera so cumbersome. The RMB isn't used for anything (by default) other than for the camera so not sure what makes it so difficult for you. The XP camera is very powerful and versatile, so much better than FSX/P3D for me.