Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Xplane 11 - Mouselook?

In most planes (at least almost all the addons I use) only hold/toggle brakes maximum will trigger the parking brake. Hold/toggle brakes regular actuate normal brakes. However, there are some planes (the default 747 might be one of them) where "regular" brakes are also bound to the parking brake.

Sorry I have to disagree; I just did a quick test with the following planes:

Default XP11

C172

B58

B738

B744

Payware XP10

Car B1900D

FF B752

FF B762

FF B772

JD A332

In every case "Hold/Toggle Brakes Regular" actuated the parking brake to 50%.

I have not yet come across a plane where that particular command actuates both toe brakes.

If you assign a key to "Hold Left Brake" or "Hold Right Brake" you can actually see the animation of the toe brake.

What I would like is to be able to assign both to one key or have a single command that actuates both toe brakes.

I stand corrected!

It just never occured to me as a problem because using "hold brakes regular" works fine for me, and doesn't give problems with the VA Acars systems I regularly use. Reading the Acars logs, only hold/toggle brakes max is recorded as using the parking brake.

I think the problem here is that "parking brake" and "normal brake" are one and the same effect in the real aircraft - i.e. the brake pads compress to slow down the wheels rotation. So in a "physical sense" there is no difference if you stomp on your brakes (toe brakes) or set the parking brake.

In the real aircraft the "parking brake" will relieve you from having to stomp on the toe-pedals. But that is the same as "holding brakes" - hence in X-Plane there is some confusion/mixup with that.

I noticed the same when using the built-in autobrake system - the "RTO" effort is just "setting the parking brake at 100%", iirc.

So I think this stayed with us from XP10 - and it might be worth reporting it as a bug. I think Austin is pretty receptive to changing some things now that XP11 is a whole new sim, as opposed to changing something (more or less fundamental) mid-run.

Cheers, Jan

I can understand temporary frustration with having to learn a different mouselook system in a new sim, but not a claim that it's somehow "wrong" to do it this way. It's just how this particular sim works.

There are things I prefer in some of the other sims I've flown, like Rise of Flight, but I wouldn't expect X-Plane to let me re-map the controls so they worked just like they did in that sim. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I wish we had such a simple mouse look concept in DCS. I know most people prefer to use TrackIR in DCS, but I just couldn't get to like it after trying it out for a few weeks, and so I sold it. I would fly DCS a lot more if it had a better mouse look system.

A bit off topic, but a nice feature that you might be wishing for when coming from EZdok: You can store up to 10 predefined cockpit views in every plane by just setting up the view and then use Ctrl+Num X (any numer on the num pad). To quickly get to that view from then on, just press that numer on the Num block.

It is sotred per aircraft and you can overwrite a setting anytime. You can also assign a button to every view.

I'm new to X-Plane. I tried setting views in the C172 with the XP11 Beta and it worked as described for a single flight. However, when I flew again with the same plane, the commands were gone and I had to reset them from scratch. And these didn't stick beyond a single flight as well.

Is there something special that one needs to do to preserve these settings, or is this just a bug in the Beta?

Thanks,

Robert

I'm new to X-Plane. I tried setting views in the C172 with the XP11 Beta and it worked as described for a single flight. However, when I flew again with the same plane, the commands were gone and I had to reset them from scratch. And these didn't stick beyond a single flight as well.

Is there something special that one needs to do to preserve these settings, or is this just a bug in the Beta?

Thanks,

Robert

Probably a beta bug as it works perfectly in XP10.

Probably a beta bug as it works perfectly in XP10.

For me it works fine for different planes in the XP11 beta.

Nice feature.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

H,i with   x camara plugin   you can assigne  the space key  to mouse view  there's a demo,   super easy,   ill be just like FSX or P3D

• Upvote 1

Hoping you will be able to assign a programmed view from the number pad to a joystick button or hat position. That would make a big difference. I feel with that I won't need any camera add ons.

Chris

Hoping you will be able to assign a programmed view from the number pad to a joystick button or hat position. That would make a big difference. I feel with that I won't need any camera add ons.

You can assign any of the 10 Num-views to a button, at least in XP 10. If this isn't yet available in XP 11, we should file a request / bug report. I didn't get to try it yet, but will do tomorrow evening.

Chris

You already can, in settings. Choose the Joystick tab, select your button, hit the Edit button. This brings up a selection of commands that you can assign to a button (there's an overwhelming amount). I feel that the way the commands are organized and presented could use a bit of refinement, sometimes it can be wonky (it wasn't that user friendly in XP10 either, so perhaps it's an improvement). However, you can find the quick look commands under Views > Quick Look. There's ten of them that read "Go to save 3-D cockpit location #.." and ten of them that read "Memorize 3-D cockpit location #...". They're the most powerful when used in tandem - assign one button to "Go to" and a different button to "Memorize". They get even more powerful when you assign more than one set. That way you have two quick locations to quickly save a view to, that can be quickly (and smoothly) panned to.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very powerful.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

hi,

I'm new to X-Plane in general. I'm using the 11.

I need to set the use of mouse to look inside the 3D cockpit.

Because I linke to invert the moving direction (like something you need to invert the y axis in some game...)

I'd like to click the right button on mouse and look down moving the mouse up and viceversa. Moving the mouse down and look up...

Now it is that when I move the mouse down (using right click) I look down and moving it up I look up but it is not good for me.

Is it possible to change as I need?

Thank you so much.

good fly!!!

Stefano.