Sign in to follow this  
sparkie66

New Aircraft for P3D and 32 Bit Simulators

i'm a bit baffled ppl still make (and buy!!) > €100 aircraft for 32 bit simulators. A big gamble for both parties imho. I'm sure I am not the only one who doesnt want to gamble over € 100 on "will it run on my >15 year old sim" let alone "will it run on my patched and upgraded >15 year old sim, that I can't have fun with and may or may not be supported in the near future by a company with a core business of weapon system development."

just my 2eurocent.

• Upvote 1

-Roland

i'm a bit baffled ppl still make (and buy!!) > €100 aircraft for 32 bit simulators.

Despite it's offtopic:

the "company with a core business of weapon system development" has developed now that sim since the last 10 years nearly.

And holding off your support now for addon developers will kill their business so that can support you with another version for a probably upcoming 64bit version.

We will have it again and again: some will charge you fully for converting it to 64bit, some more, some less. As far as I can remember in Microsoft times, you have been charged by the most developers every two years, wasn't it?

• Upvote 2

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"will it run on my >15 year old sim"

Yes, it will and very nicely too. I am running a decisively middle-of-the-road-and-aging computer (i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz, 8GB, GTX670 2GB, W7 Pro 64bit) and the worst frames I've seen have been at Flightbeam's KSFO, ASN, REX4 textures and Soft Clouds, FTX Global, no AI traffic (since I was online) and they were 15-17 in the VC and approx. 30fps in an outside view. Sim settings are on the high side except for shadows on aircraft and ground both turned off, 0% road traffic. DX9.

Also running on the same computer was my VA's ACARS system, Aivlasoft's EFB and IVAP. On that flight my VAS usage peaked at a smidgen over 3.7. No OOM dings from FSUIPC.

Triple digits is where high fidelity study aircraft simulation prices will be at from now on but if you're serious about your (only?) hobby that shouldn't be a determining factor of whether you purchase or not.

Just my two aussie cents :drinks:

Tony

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Triple digits is where high fidelity study aircraft simulation prices will be at from now on

Hi tony,

Some may be worth that indeed. It's the questionable platform where my bafflement lays in combination with the price.

There is an excellent 64 bit sim out there right now that could really benefit from investments you speak of if not for people stuffing their money in 15 year old tech, adding >100 euros into the argument they have too much invested in the >15 year old sim to change sim platform.

Whatever works for you, works for you.

Its just an observation i translated into my 2 eurocents. Ill leave it at that now and add that if this 320 makes it into a 64 bit sim it will be a first day buy for me, it looks amazing.

-Roland

Hi Roland,

I get your point about old tech and I'm not disputing that at all. It's simple economics that drives decisions about which platform to develop for.

I am sure that developers think about what to develop (and for what) after very careful consideration and I presume that development for FSX and P3D may be the best return on investment for them. At least for the time being.

I am continually amazed at what devs are able to create for the old tech platforms (not just aircraft panels but also weather progs, beautiful scenery add-ons etc).

When the inevitable happens and 64bit will be considered the norm (in flight simulation), developers will start producing work for that and then we will all have to bid adieu to our admittedly substantial investments (both on the hardware side as well as software) in 32bit and move on.

Personally I have not moved to P3D and I'm still using the original FSX plus SP1+2. I recall having the same thoughts when I was using FS9 but finally bit the bullet and re-invested in FSX. Yes, I'm an old curmudgeon :smile:

But as you say, to each their own.

Cheers.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

There is an excellent 64 bit sim out there right now that could really benefit from investments you speak of if not for people stuffing their money in 15 year old tech,

A Sim that has a shockingly bad weather system (weathers pretty important in aviation) very poor ATC, and a badly conceived Ai system.

It may well have good bits but it lacks many of the things that make for a fully developed flight simulator and worse is that its author stubbingly refuses to address those shortcomings.

That's why the majority of simmers wont use it, the sim lacks in so many ways.

• Upvote 2

Thank you, for making my point.

• Upvote 1

-Roland

A Sim that has a shockingly bad weather system (weathers pretty important in aviation) very poor ATC, and a badly conceived Ai system.

It may well have good bits but it lacks many of the things that make for a fully developed flight simulator and worse is that its author stubbingly refuses to address those shortcomings.

Perhaps right now it has those bad points but to conclude that it is the way it is, well that's just arrogant presumption.  There is a new version emerging so let's just wait and see what is fixed and what isn't.

As for P3D and FSX, a good cross section of users spend more time tweaking than flying, due to the large amount of content released that bring some systems to their knees.  The VAS limitations, for me, is a huge sticking point, and unless I want to use a stripped down sim just to fly a complex aircraft, because of that limitation, it is hard to support them anymore.  I started with MSFS series and moved on to P3D, as I assumed they would address limitations and performance, which they did to an extent, but how long have people been clamoring for a 64-bit sim from them and all we get are fixes that may or may not help.  You can put only so many band-aids on an old, antiquated code base before you run out of options.  granted, I am not sticking up for any one sim because of the points made about the current shortcomings but given time, they can be addressed.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

granted, I am not sticking up for any one sim because of the points made about the current shortcomings but given time, they can be addressed.

They can only be addressed if Austin wants it addressed, he thinks the present Ai system is "perfect" (his words) so I guess we can stop hoping for anything better in that regard. ATC was going to be addressed in XP10 but is still next to useless, Weather really need addressing as well as seasons but so far nothing.

I would move over tomorrow if these things were fixed as would many others, why can Austin not see this ?

They can only be addressed if Austin wants it addressed, he thinks the present Ai system is "perfect" (his words) so I guess we can stop hoping for anything better in that regard. ATC was going to be addressed in XP10 but is still next to useless, Weather really need addressing as well as seasons but so far nothing.

I would move over tomorrow if these things were fixed as would many others, why can Austin not see this ?

I like this new A320X but I don't like that it will bring my sim to its knees.  Study-level aircraft are what's needed in XP.  IXEG has a good 737 and PMDG started with the DC-6, but it would be nice to have a good study-level Airbus to work with.

• Upvote 1

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

i'm a bit baffled ppl still make (and buy!!) > €100 aircraft for 32 bit simulators. A big gamble for both parties imho. I'm sure I am not the only one who doesnt want to gamble over € 100 on "will it run on my >15 year old sim" let alone "will it run on my patched and upgraded >15 year old sim, that I can't have fun with and may or may not be supported in the near future by a company with a core business of weapon system development."

just my 2eurocent.

Non sense p3d V3.x isn't 15 years old, if you think XP is build up from the ground every version well I don't want to burst your bubble ;-)

Maybe XP Austin decides at one point in time to call it a day so you see it's all relative.

André

Non sense p3d V3.x isn't 15 years old

The CODE is.  :smile:

• Upvote 1

The CODE is.  :smile:

Nope it isn't some parts are older ;-) and some are changed huge and only a few months old ;-)

Same holds for FS2000 to FS9 to FSX (We called it every time a new simulator) and XP  8 > 9 > 10 > 11

P3D in it's current form is in so many ways changed that it's a new simulator ;-)

André

P3D in it's current form is in so many ways changed that it's a new simulator ;-)

Yeah and Santa Claus exists too.

• Upvote 1

Yeah and Santa Claus exists too

Jim no need for sarcasm because some one  has more knowledge as you do and just sharing it ;-)

André