Sign in to follow this  
Leandros Varus

X-Plane 11 747-400 State?

Vanilla 744 vs SSG 748  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does the vanilla 747-4 have enough complexity to entertain one who enjoys complex payware/freeware?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but the vanilla 744 just doesn't compare to the SSG 747-8i.
    • Not much has changed about the vanilla 744 from XP-10.
    • Other, post below.

Hi guys, 

So I am currently not in a position to download and play the beta for a few days and I had a question. However there is the sale going on at x-plane.org and I am eyeballing a few aircraft to pick up, but the level of detail of a particular vanilla aircraft may determine my decision to pick up one.

I am looking at getting the SSG 747-8i as I really want a good 747(Regardless of the model), yet if the vanilla 747-4 has a high enough complexity for someone who enjoys complex aircraft then I may not purchase it(At least for a time, these sales the last few days are draining my disposable cash). So, how is the default 747, the VC and exterior look good yet how is the flight model and systems?

Thanks,

Leandros

None of the default aircraft are suitable for "someone who enjoys complex aircraft". They are default, they need to be suitable for casual gamers as well.

The SSG 747 has much more depth, although it is still much less complex than IXEG's 737.

• Upvote 4

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

None of the default aircraft are suitable for "someone who enjoys complex aircraft". They are default, they need to be suitable for casual gamers as well.

The SSG 747 has much more depth, although it is still much less complex than IXEG's 737.

Yea, I figured it wouldn't be up to IXEG standards. I just want a 747 that can tide me over till either some developer such as iFly, PMDG, or any other XP devs like Flight Factor or IXEG realizes that XP-11 would be profitable and that there is a gap with this aircraft missing something of high complexity.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised about the level of complexity in the default 747 !!

I am looking at getting the SSG 747-8i as I really want a good 747(Regardless of the model), 

I own the SSG 747 and trust me, you'd still be waiting for a good 747.

I own the SSG 747 and trust me, you'd still be waiting for a good 747.

What are your precise issues with that aircraft (besides the visuals that improved a bit in v1.5, and given that is is a medium-complexity aircraft that does not want to be in the same league as IXEG etc.)?

Default 737NG is really good to be default

Default 747 is really awful to be default

Thanks for the answers/votes guys. Just sounds like a standard vanilla aircraft you'd see in every other iteration/sim, not really a good interim solution. 

Much appreciated.

What are your precise issues with that aircraft (besides the visuals that improved a bit in v1.5, and given that is is a medium-complexity aircraft that does not want to be in the same league as IXEG etc.)?

Didn't know they released 1.5, but it had horrid fps, textures looked so basic, the FMS had an awful delay, it was medium-lite and not IMO priced as such. I just downloaded 1.5 and actually enjoyed the fixes/patches. Still not study-level, but at least its better than default.

Didn't know they released 1.5, but it had horrid fps, textures looked so basic, the FMS had an awful delay, it was medium-lite and not IMO priced as such. I just downloaded 1.5 and actually enjoyed the fixes/patches. Still not study-level, but at least its better than default.

Okay, thanks for the answer. I agree about the bad FPS and bad textures in version prior to 1.5; never cared about the FMS delay. Main reason I did not use it much lately were indeed the textures. Much better now.

Study level vs. medium level vs. lite level is actually no quality criterion for me. There can be awesome lite level aircraft and bad study level aircraft.

I always liked this add-on but the 1.5 update has been phenomenal. I hope they can make it work well in X-Plane 11 in the not too distant future.

If you really really need a study-level 747, you can always go with the Aerowinx PSX and use the X-Plane for the visuals (there's a plugin for that). But yes, that's probably overkill, and I don't know if it still works with XP 11. :smile:

And of course no 3D cockpit.

• Upvote 1

And of course no 3D cockpit.

Yea, that's the kicker. Though the simulation is what is most important, the lack of a 3D cockpit kills the immersion for me unless I had a home cockpit. I think I'm just gonna hold off till some developer out there makes one, which I hope won't be too many years, but oh well.

Thanks though.