Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Speed perception

I noticed yesterday when slowing the Aerosoft A319 down to a landing speed of 123 knots that the perception of speed was INCREDIBLY slow. It was almost as the landing was slow-motion. 

I am using a zoom factor of around 0.60 and a ultra-wide screen (21:9). Are there any ways of increasing the perception of speed without altering the zoom?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

The lack of perception of speeds mainly has to do, I think, with the lack of peripheral vision. If you would add screens to the left and right of you, things would feel a lot speedier.

I'd say you've not flown IRL in a big plane often.  I could be wrong as i have been many times in the past but I've gotten the feeling someone was upstairs with strings attached to the plane while on approach, both Airbus and Boeing.  Only within 100 or so feet of touchdown does your perception of speed kick in. IMHO. :smile:

I'd say you've not flown IRL in a big plane often.  I could be wrong as i have been many times in the past but I've gotten the feeling someone was upstairs with strings attached to the plane while on approach, both Airbus and Boeing.  Only within 100 or so feet of touchdown does your perception of speed kick in. IMHO. :smile:

Exactly, I have about 5 hours in a 767-400 full motion sim at an airline training center, and until you are just over the threshold, it is like slow motion. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Are there any ways of increasing the perception of speed without altering the zoom?

Sit closer! (You don't give enough info to know if your zoom is set appropriately - screen size, viewing distance, WideViewAspect setting).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I've flown big jets hundreds of times, as a passenger of course. But cockpit videos of different landings dont seem as slow as landings in P3D/FSX, IHMO.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Try an addon that induces vibrations, turbulence and camera shaking, like Chaseplane.

Since using Chaseplane it happens that I instinctively reach for my - non existing - safety harness.

Hi Folks,

Honestly small planes seem slow motion in real life as well - until you're landing on an 1800x50 foot runway with trees on the sides - then it feels like you are at warp speed...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Try an addon that induces vibrations, turbulence and camera shaking, like Chaseplane.

Since using Chaseplane it happens that I instinctively reach for my - non existing - safety harness.

EZdok has been doing that quite well for years. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

EZdok has been doing that quite well for years.

No dissent. That's why I said "like Chaseplane" (just because I am using that right now). There are several addons that provide these camera movements and I really didn't want to start a discussion about which one is better than another.

I've flown big jets hundreds of times, as a passenger of course. But cockpit videos of different landings dont seem as slow as landings in P3D/FSX, IHMO.

Cockpit videos are inevitably filmed on GoPro cameras, which give a very distorted sense of perspective and hence of speed.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Again, without peripheral vision there will be only limited speed perception.

You can reduce the zoom factor, or you can try VR.

I agree with the peripheral vision comments; however there is a possibly more important concept to note here.  Perhaps the OP is interested in the sense of speed for the "sensation" or just maybe it is a question about landing technique.  Pilots of all sizes of aircraft become accustomed to the visual speed cues and unless something is unusual will not notice.  Pilots are keyed into much more important visual cues at the threshold such as drift, closure and sink rates.  Most will change their focus from the touchdown zone to the far end of the runway just at or before flare for the best visual cues..., visual sensation of speed (unless unusual) just isn't a factor.  Hope this helps if the interest is in landing technique.., if it is a thrill you seek then try an arcade game.

Dan Downs KCRP