Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Here we go again.

Me too.  I tried 10 but the empty airports and other issues brought me back to FSX and then P3D.  But, 11 does seem to have serious promise.  i don't want two sims on the PC.  It's enough to keep up with just one.  So, right now, it's P3D with XP11 installed as a beta to evaluate.  We'll see how this all goes.  It's nice to have some good options!

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I tried 10 but the empty airports and other issues brought me back to FSX and then P3D

I actually really like the fact that so many of their airports have freeware scenery with custom objects that you can easily find and download. What i couldn't get past and the reason i keep coming back to p3d is weather. XP11 is just nowhere near p3d/active sky and what addons they have for weather seem to be limited by xplane's program architecture. Quality aircraft has been slowly getting better but still the choice of high level aircraft isn't as expanded as those available to p3d. I'll be getting xp11 once i get some upgrades done on my rig, but no weather improvements has my expectations dampened.

It's time for p3d to get on the 64 bit bandwagon. With that said I think what LM has done with improving the current 32 bit sim both in making it look better while also getting it to perform better than FSX is remarkable. All those tweaks will be a great launching pad to start the 64 bit version vs. the upcoming DTG sim which looks like they will be going to 64 bit from a less refined version of FSX.

Still don't like that DTG didn't build off of Microsoft Flight rather than FSX.

I'm loathe to spend any more money on P3D addons if they are getting ready to drop a 64 bit version. I didn't get anything for that platform on Black friday sales. Did get some XP stuff though.

• Upvote 1

Well, as Rob A. pointed out today on the LM official forum in a thread about whether there would ever be a 64 bit version of P3d, LM never announces a new full version until it is ready to be released:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=112786&p=148034#p148034

Did get some XP stuff though.

I held off, since a lot of the good addons are still working on compatibility with XP11, which IMO is pretty sweet, even without the extra eye candy.

Well, as Rob A. pointed out today on the LM official forum in a thread about whether there would ever be a 64 bit version of P3d, LM never announces a new full version until it is ready to be released:

I don't know any more than you all, but I've got a feeling....certain 'people' have been, shall we say, a little more 'absent' than usual from the forum...

FSL have 'mentioned' that they are making efforts to release their A320 for P3d before the holiday season...I wonder...

With all the complaints re OOMs, and a really 'heavy' A320 on the system, well...maybe.

My credit card is going to take a bashing...what if both arrive at the same time..? Wowee !

Regards

Bill

Many people talk about addons not working with a 64bit version. But Windows 64bit still can work with 32bit programs, why is it not possible to P3D do the same with the addons? Is a real time converter impossible? I don't think so.

I'm more than happy with 3.5. It's stable and even with the OOM potential, managing OOM's sensibly avoids alot of pain. If this is something more than just an incremental release, it'll be a double celebration and a very busy Xmas/NY period in the virtual sky.

If develepers such as orbx and rex asn pmdg and soforth did support xplane alot of simmers would have made the jump to xp thus making the both develepers and xp more profitible and p3d would have taken a hit.

Bc it is a 64 bit platform, i really want to make the leap thou the addons are stopping me from doing so and i have invested so much already.

the addons are stopping me from doing so and i have invested so much already.

This is my issue.  I'm too heavily invested in P3D to start over.  

I'm more than happy with 3.5. It's stable and even with the OOM potential, managing OOM's sensibly avoids alot of pain. If this is something more than just an incremental release, it'll be a double celebration and a very busy Xmas/NY period in the virtual sky.

Busy and expensive.  I just bought a few things from REX and ORBX Open LC North America for P3D, then X-Plane 11 and a new GTX1070 SC.  If my wife ever finds out!  But, if this is maybe just 32-bit, version 4.0, I don't know if I'd go through the problem of re-installing everything again and just stay with X-Plane 11.  if it's 64- bit version 1.0, that's a different story.

Rick Abshier

But, if this is maybe just 32-bit, version 4.0,

Would that even make any sense.  

I wouldn't think that would make sense, no - we'll just have to wait.  It is an exciting time for flight simming though!

Rick Abshier

If develepers such as orbx and rex asn pmdg and soforth did support xplane alot of simmers would have made the jump to xp thus making the both develepers and xp more profitible and p3d would have taken a hit.

Bc it is a 64 bit platform, i really want to make the leap thou the addons are stopping me from doing so and i have invested so much already.

XP is a niche market share of a niche market product. Big developers aren't going to waste their time and energy on that when they have P3D and FSX to focus on. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

XP is a niche market share of a niche market product. Big developers aren't going to waste their time and energy on that when they have P3D and FSX to focus on. 

There is a good deal of interest in XP11 by the FSX/P3D crowd if the activity on the boards indicates anything and, long-term, it may not.  I was very interested in XP10 when it was first announced but didn't stay with it.  Whether the current interest in XP11 translates into actual purchases is another thing.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier