Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

744 Beta RTO video

Excellent, brother, cheers.

What is that white striped display on the upper left dashboard?

spacer.png

PVD  (para Visual Display). Used mainly in low vis to keep the aircraft in the centerline. You need to put valid LOC freq of the rnw you are in order to use it

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Nice video, can´t wait.

Should reverse thrust be avoided with an engine failure due to the difference in the thrust on each side ?

Best regards

Peter Lund

Best regards

Peter Lund

I  believe you must use symmetrical reverse thrust, ie since 2 failed only 1 and 4 to be used. Not applicable with my hardware though.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Nice video, can´t wait.

Should reverse thrust be avoided with an engine failure due to the difference in the thrust on each side ?

Best regards

Peter Lund

Nope, unless there's a MEL item to the contrary our SOP is to get full reverse out as soon as you can and bring it to a halt.

If you have directional control issues you can go to reverse idle and it should still stop by the end of the runway.

1.45 looks a bit low for a takeoff EPR, I thought it was nearer 1.54 at max derate...

Hope this helps,

Ian

1.45 looks a bit low for a takeoff EPR, I thought it was nearer 1.54 at max derate...

I can't tell by the video which engines he had mounted in terms of PW or RR. They measure EPR differently, so the values will differ as well, so if you're used to Rollers and he had Pratts, that could be why, etc.

Kyle Rodgers

Man, the sound, the rumble - I swear my heart was in my mouth right there!   I also have to say that what I notice there is the "feel" that it is heavy and big, it is difficult to describe but the feel of it is much, MUCH better than the older version.   Thanks for the video!

Regards

What's the barber pole thing sitting horizontally on the dashboard? I've been in QF 744 cockpits and don't ever recall seeing that.

• Upvote 1

What's the barber pole thing sitting horizontally on the dashboard? I've been in QF 744 cockpits and don't ever recall seeing that.

That is the Para Visual Display (PVD). It is used in low visibility for take-offs (it basically keeps your aircraft in the center). It takes data from the ILS frequency. Some QF 744s had it installed as well as BA, CX, and SQ.

http://www.aerowinx.com/html/gallery04.html

Cheers,

Alright, I'll be the third to ask...what is that stripey white and bla...nevermind  :smile:

Hmm..how does it work ? how must I read the instrument ? ..is it even an instrument ?

getting totally zen by looking at it..but how must I interpret it ?

Hmm..how does it work ?

It tunes to RWY's ILS frequency and tracks the localizer.

.is it even an instrument ?

Yes, it is an instrument. :) Not very widely installed, but nonetheless a great tool/aid.

Can anyone PLEASE do a GE video? GE engines produce the best sound in my opinion. It has the loudest and most distinct whine that the 747 has.

Hmm..how does it work ? how must I read the instrument ? ..is it even an instrument ?

getting totally zen by looking at it..but how must I interpret it ?

As mentioned above, it wasn't the most popular option (and is regularly U/S) but BA have it (on their B777s and B767s as as well) and so do a couple of other operators mentioned above. It is a very simple and straightforward unit, however.

Its purpose is to enable takeoffs in lower visibility that would otherwise be possible. Broadly, the minimum RVR for takeoff for a Category D aircraft like the B747 is 150m (under EASA rules). Using an 'electronic guidance aid' brings this down to 100m, and this is where the PVD comes in (an HUD would also count for aircraft so equipped).

The PVD is only operational on the ground (and only unshutters when it has a valid tuned localizer signal and the aircraft heading is within 45 degrees of the runway centreline). The "barber pole" simply rotates in the direction of the centreline, and the faster it rotates the further from the centreline you are. Just apply rudder in the direction the pole is rotating to regain the centreline...

That's about all there is to it!