Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

744 Beta RTO video

Can anyone PLEASE do a GE video? GE engines produce the best sound in my opinion. It has the loudest and most distinct whine that the 747 has.

I've streamed about 10 hours of GE flying. I don't have it set to archive automatically, however.

Aaron has his set up to, however:

https://www.twitch.tv/lomaric/v/102783092

EDIT: Side note...video sites often use some sort of compression on their videos. This makes the colors bleed out a bit, and pulls back a lot of the richness of audio. While videos are close, they don't do the sound set full justice.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle,

Just from that video, I must admit I am slightly disappointed with the GE sound.

But due to the possible bad quality and Aaron's sound settings, I will hold off on judging too much. It also seemed that Aaron had his engine sound volume set relatively low, compared to the ambient sounds. I had expected a much louder whine.

I also have a question: will there be an option for extra high RPM reverse thrust? I know that KLM's 747s can use their reverse up to 95% N1. I think that is due to their St Maarten landings.

Just from that video, I must admit I am slightly disappointed with the GE sound.

Right after I specifically disclaimed the sound compression inherent in videos, which is even more the case during a stream. This is why we can't have nice things...

Engine whine exists in the upper parts of the sound wave. Bassy notes exist in the lower parts. Which two are the first, and most affected by compression? You guessed it...

I also have a question: will there be an option for extra high RPM reverse thrust? I know that KLM's 747s can use their reverse up to 95% N1. I think that is due to their St Maarten landings.

Source?

Kyle Rodgers

Here Kyle:

I can clearly make out 94 on the EICAS. I am not sure whether this is exclusive to KLM, but if it is, then my best guess would be that it is meant for short runways such as St Maarten. Some sort of short field package maybe?

I can clearly make out 94 on the EICAS. I am not sure whether this is exclusive to KLM, but if it is, then my best guess would be that it is meant for short runways such as St Maarten. Some sort of short field package maybe?

Any actual technical documentation supporting this? I don't believe this is an actual thing.

Kyle Rodgers

Any actual technical documentation supporting this? I don't believe this is an actual thing.

No, I believe PMDG has much better access to that than me.

If it's not a real thing, then what is it, do you think? The videos of this uploader are clearly not fake, and just listening to the sound, clearly shows that the reverse thrust is much higher than the normal 55-60%. I can ask the uploader for confirmation, as he is a real world pilot. Such information should be nearly as sufficient as documentation, considering PMDG rely very much on real world pilots.

I do not mean to negatively criticize the plane. I am a great fan and owner of most of your products, and I love what I am seeing so far about the 747. I am just trying to inform you about something I have noticed that might be of interest at this stage.

Gents,

We are still in Beta - I am working on the GE soundset as we speak !

• Upvote 2

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Gents,

We are still in Beta - I am working on the GE soundset as we speak !

That is very great to hear!

If it's not a real thing, then what is it, do you think? The videos of this uploader are clearly not fake, and just listening to the sound, clearly shows that the reverse thrust is much higher than the normal 55-60%. I can ask the uploader for confirmation, as he is a real world pilot. Such information should be nearly as sufficient as documentation, considering PMDG rely very much on real world pilots.

From the books:

"During the application of reverse thrust, the EEC will automatically monitor engine performance, and calculate a maximum N1 and fuel flow for engine reverse thrust in order to prevent exceeding any engine limitations during the reverse thrust."

How high in the band (below the limit) it goes would depend on how far you move the reverse thrust levers. Most operators pop it into idle, but you can drag the levers up a lot higher.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, so does that mean that it will actually be possible to set our reverse thrust as high as 90+%, assuming we put our levers to their absolute limit?

Thanks Kyle, so does that mean that it will actually be possible to set our reverse thrust as high as 90+%, assuming we put our levers to their absolute limit?

You'll be able to set them to the limits of the system as it was designed, yeah. I'm not sure of the actual numbers, since that's not the part of the project that I worked on.

Kyle Rodgers

Slight tangent:

Will body gear unlocked EICAS errors be modeled?

spacer.png

With an engine failure, why isn't there EICAS allerts, or Master Caution warnings?

Tom Cain

Pretty much everything is inhibited during the takeoff roll with (mainly) the exception of the fire bell. Even that is inhibited after V1.