Sign in to follow this  
carloscamgr

Important problems of CTD and OOMS solved in Prepar 3d

Hello everyone.

My name´s Carlos Aranda, I’m from Granada, Spain.

I’m passionate of the simulation of flight and user of FS from the version 5.0 and now as user of LM Prepar3d.

As all who have reported problem with Prepar3d Versions 3.3.5 and 3.4. I also have been suffering them with the same failures that comments.

I have 3 month investigating problems and almost no finish any flight more than 1 hour due to consumption of VAS that is disappears too quickly without explanation, when this was not happening before.

Although all suspect that they were LM P3d 3.3.5 and 3.4 and fix 3.4.14.

These curiously coincided with the update Windows 10 anniversary.

But what my research focused on this update of Windows 10 anniversary as the culprit of the problems with prepar3d, and other games, as I’ve seen in forums comment on bugs.

The detect that add-ons can cause damage to the proper functioning of Prepar3d.

As an example, FS Real Time has caused me some CTD with error known as lack module kernelbase.dll this still have it in quarantine, but it may be one of those responsible for CTD and I’m still investigating him.

Now, how to solve Prepar3d for proper operation.

Tired already of this failure and with patience, I decide to install Windows 10 from zero on the HDD and clean install from USB.

The version I have is the above Windows 10 Anniversary, format the HDD to do a clean install.

After installing Windows 10, I check that it is properly installed and until they enter updates, create a restore point.

Looking at the Windows version, I note that he has already installed the only during installation Windows 10 Anniversary version.

During installation, you have downloaded the latest version, not allowing me to return to the previous version.

I thought well let’s try to see if it now works better.

I installed P3d Versions 3.3.5 which was the first that gave me problems.

The Add-on for text only install the minimum, Aerosoft A320 aircraft, scenery   FTX Global 1.4 FTX LandClass Europe y ultimate terrain Europe.

Scenery, Madrid Barajas 2008 LEMD and Verona Villafranca LIPX to make a first test flight.

FS2crew Airbus, Fspassenger y Pro ATC.

I did not want to install more Scenery to check everything worked fine.

I have brought a pleasant surprise to see, Yes, Prepar3d  works well and manages the VAS as before the error, even recovering a little of you VAS and stays stable during a flight.

A picture is worth more than 1000 words.

I leave some pictures of the flight that made yesterday.

LEMD-LIPX duration 2 h 20’ or preparations before 30 minutes more.

167fa566566989a2acee166f00bc3847o.jpg

f0e8a72cf611e4b185884c55f432222bo.jpg

6d8a683904ff5be58180af784c021ac3o.jpg

6ecebc5e40dcbfa0e8ad116ce7b4d3bfo.jpg

07ed0965b6141956a028557c5151dc40o.jpg

68b78a619b7b430c3a63146e0eefd224o.jpg

My PC is very modest, especially graphics for my enough to enjoy Prepar3d and performance is that you see in the photos.

GTX470 Nvidia Driver 376.09

I7 2600 3.40 GHz.

As you can see in the images in the first 30 minutes of preparation, from the beginning to the end of preparations and starting engines the VAS down about 300 Mb, and this is my PC, I consider normal.

Aerosoft A320 consumes a VAS only important in his home, the important thing is that the VAS down a little during flight.

Before the takes off has already had consumed a little more than VAS.

Cruise already the VAS shows stable and consumption is minimal during the flight time.

In approach, already at LIPX the VAS is greater than 700 Mb. Is I joy to a flight of 2 hours 30 minutes and I’ll no have OOMS.

Already in parking and disembarking passenger the aircraft the VAS is displayed more than 600 Mb.

After 3 month to start or finish a flight show me happy for the results, and I think that you fixed to a large extent the problems.

Although I am going to investigate as go installing ADD-ONS and setting, if I find any guilty.

In conclusion, LM has never been the cause of failures in prepar3d.

Windows 10 early on occurred error with updates, or not be downloaded, or were not fully installed, and for me this is the cause, a bad update of Windows 10 anniversary.

That fortunately appears that, by performing a clean installation of the operating system, resolve the problem we have had all the users who have reported problems.

Finally, I will continue reporting if any Add-Ons cause problems adding then slowly and I will keep you informed at all.

Thank for my part to LM for keeping my passion for flying and fly a simulated plane.

And because it helps me to continue living my passion for the simulation that I have from Microsoft FS 5.0.

I have 3 years out of work due to de crisis and depression and thank to LM with prepar3d still live a passion that helps me every day.

Wish you all happy flight, with prepar3d

Happy Christmas and new year.

Pd. Sorry for my English, is basic and I user windows translator and I hope that I may understand.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to AVSIM Carlos. We have a lot of members from Spain. Thanks for the information about how you solved your OOM's/VAS issues.  I have always found the same things.  VAS does recover a bit and LM has managed to keep one flying longer than before.  I have yet to suffer an OOM with P3D but I always keep my flight sessions down to less than 2 hours.  I monitor my VAS usage using the FSUIPC and see my VAS usage going up and down but never completely so low it will cause a crash.  Very rarely do I go below less than 1 GB of VAS remaining and I have the proof as I always save my flights which records the VAS usage, FPS during a flight. 

Merry Christmas to you too Carlos!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest JustanotherPilot

Thank you Carlos for posting your findings, I have been affected by OOM and VAS issues only in v3.4 . I had no issues with 3.3 which had the windows 10 anniversary update, however, I have also considered windows 10 as a possible addition to the causes of the memory address in P3D (v3.4). Perhaps by doing a clean install you have removed some of those hidden files/conflicts causing these problems.

I would like to do a clean windows 10 install but, for me,  it would be a too lengthy process using time that I have little of, I am confident LM will eventually find a solution BUT you make good sense in what you have found.

steve s

Hi Carlos,

I'm reading with great interest - recently upgraded from a flawless 3.2 to 3.4 where I have yet to manage a flight longer than 1.5 hours without a Crash To Desktop !!! Normally when I'm near TOD - so frustrating -- ugh... Thanks so much for sharing...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks much Carlos for your informative post. Happy Holidays.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Interesting. When there is an update for P3D I either skip it or I go all the way: reinstall Windows from scratch and then P3D from scratch. I think that in the past years I actually updated P3D only once. Maybe this is why I never have CTDs and OOMs, although I have to add I always only install a few addons I actually use. Anyway, this could be interesting for those who are having major problems with P3D. 

Welcome to the forum, Carlos! You don't often see such long and interesting posts from new members! Well done.  :wink: Great to see also how this hobby is helping you through the day! Keep it up!

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I am running on Windows 7 and still had major problems with v3.4. In my case everything went back to normal when I have switched from v2 to v3 of GeForce Experience.

Hence in my case NVidia drivers were the problem.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Carlos,

I have also spent hours, tweaking, disabling add-ons, etc., to improve VAS memory management in P3D v3.4.14.1887

I do know that from my personal experience that when I updated my four PC's to the Windows 10 Anniversary update, two worked flawlessly and two were riddled with issues.

Although, it normally takes me around 4-5 evenings to rebuild my system, it would be worth it to be able to fly further than the coast of France before I run out of VAS, when flying from London Gatwick to Zurich!

Thank you  for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Regards,

Ted.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - seems like I need to wipe the OS and reload... Painful - but probably less frustrating than dealing with constant crashes...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Carlos muchas gracias,

Perhaps I'm the odd one out but since I did a clean OS and P3D install to latest version I've not had any OOM or VAS issues. Have done full transatlantic flights of 5+ hours with no issues using the PMDG 777. However the FS Realtime program did cause a CTD towards 3/4 of an EGLL-KJFK flight during one of its time updates and have stopped using it altogether. I am also on Win7 64 with Process Lasso and perhaps that is the reason why OOM doesn't seem to ocurr on my rig, just guessing.

Hello everyone.

Sometimes find solutions is frustrating, but there I keep trying and I have good and bad news, because I receive CTD without explanation in Event View of Windows, other caused by modules, event but good that these not OOMS causes them and the VAS is more Stable.

I have installed a P3d Versions 4.0 and works well, maybe eat a little more than VAS to the 3.3.5, 10-15 %, but even so is stable.

But on the other hand appear CTD anytime, so I do not see it as safe, try to put the versions fix 3.4.14  and even worse, only  come to the initial screen of choice of flight, and anything that touches jus closing it. So I went back to the 3.4 and keep trying.

Add-ons

Rex 4 and soft cloud Ok.

As Next or 2016 Ok.

EZCA problems setting maybe, still looking at him, consumer more VAS without using it, before it was no so.

Fspassenger Ok.

ProatcX Ok.

Ground Service X It´s Ok, but it causes problems in cuantl.exe in some CTD.

For which worries you reinstalled Windows 10 I propose an experiment.

This link allows you check the windows version, and download and install Windows 10 version Anniversary, as I said the possible cause was a failure of the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/instantanswers/d4efb316-79f0-1aa1-9ef3-dcada78f3fa0/get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update

I will continue trying to run version 3.4 and checking things  and I will continue informing.

Regards,

Carlos Aranda.

Win 7 and Win 8.1 users have not reported problems of OOMS, maybe some CTD.