Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Eh... Has Anyone Crashed in X-Plane 11 Yet? Not CTD, I Mean Actually Crash!

I was testing the water spray effects and general water interaction when I hit the surface a little too hard! You should have seen my face when this happened on my screen!!!

Cessna_172SP_1.png

Cessna_172SP_2.png

Cessna_172SP_3.png

Cessna_172SP_4.png

That's right! The wing completely detached, burst into flames and remained stationary as the rest of the plane continued it's journey of disintegration across the waters surface! 

• Upvote 3

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

All sorts of surprises inside XP11 for us NOOBs! I found i could both crash or belly land depending on the impact. Cool stuff!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Ha! Good find! Indeed there seems to be a new damage model available in XP11. If I'm not mistaken, they did not announce it. I wonder if it's also to avoid the expected reaction "THAT'S TOO ARCADE!!!" from the "serious" flight sim community. In any case, I think this feature will be appreciated by many Steam user... :smile:

Looks like most new aircrafts have this new damage model. Other than the C172, it's available in the ASK21, the S76, the Vision and the MD80. Spectacular! :smile:

sHHEeVt.jpg

6I9z6I7.jpg

fX0O7yG.jpg

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hmmm... maybe this is a first step (extreme, but still a step) towards implementing some sort of localized damage model, something along the lines of accelerated component wear with aircraft abuse, landing gear damage (not bust into flames damage!) on a hard landing, things like that.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I like the crash effects!  Adds to the realism.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I noticed in the options a comprehensive failure section which is nothing new per se but I am curious now that have if we set it for a tire to burst on landing if we will see the visual result. 

The particle system is great, smoke reacts to propwash and wind. I think they should use it to rewrite the code of the thermals, would be a nice improvement!

0M6xi22.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I'm beggining to have a Crash on XP11 :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What's still needed is more light damage modeling short of a full crash.

XP10 used to have a "tire blown" notice on a hard landing, but I haven't seen that in a while. I might have disabled it somehow, or I'm just never triggering it and I'm not THAT good with every landing. We should have degrees of damage from a tire blown to collapsed gear on a hard landing, so we have more feedback on our flying skills. Right now, every landing is either perfect or you crash. 

Another thing it would be nice to see is tail strike damage. That happens more often than you'd think in real life for airliners when landing, and it can happen with helicopters too.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

What's still needed is more light damage modeling short of a full crash.

[CUT]

Yes I agree. I think damage modeling will necessarily be something that must be modeled on a per-aircraft basis, so the important thing would be to have X-Plane provide a "damage engine" that 3rd parties can use to model damage on each specific aircraft. A bit like the new FMOD sound engine that can be used by the aircraft designer, but it falls back to default X-Plane basic sound engine if not used.

Good point about the need to model light damage on a per-aircraft basis. The G-forces that commercial airliner or military jet landing gear can handle, will be way different from a light GA aircraft.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Interesting effect for sure, and I think a step in the right direction.

For those curious, this is disabled by default and must be turned on by the user.  I didn't even know it existed until seeing this thread and testing it out a bit this morning.

I've always wanted something more inline with the DCS series regarding gear damage etc, those guys have the results down beautifully.  This is maybe the first baby step towards that!