Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Eh... Has Anyone Crashed in X-Plane 11 Yet? Not CTD, I Mean Actually Crash!

Speaking of DCS, I could also imagine that LR is planning to enhance the weapon and damage models in X-Plane to better serve the military sim guys.

What's still needed is more light damage modeling short of a full crash.

I wholeheartedly agree, so hopefully this is a step in the right direction. It would be great to see a blown tire, or fuel leaking from the wing, or an engine fire (well, at least in the sim :BigGrin:) with the corresponding effects to how the aircraft operates.

Also speaking of DCS, I believe the DCS Huey models mast bump. That's when a 2-blade, "teetering" rotor head is unloaded with a negative-G maneuver, and goes out of normal travel limits. Very very dangerous -- it can chop off the tail or cut the cabin in half. Also happens on Robinson R22's and R44's, and pilots are trained to avoid it.

X-Plane does model ground effect and VRS (vortex ring state, a little too aggressively), but it doesn't model mast bump, as far as I know. You can do some very unrealistic maneuvers in some of these 2-blade helicopters.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

DCS Huey models mast bump

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well the DCS Mi-8 will tear it's tail above 3-4 G maneuver because my tail is always missing and i start spinning , DCS modeling is to an another level and it feels good that LR is going the same way.   

The DCS flanker will break it's wings on high G loads same like my mi-8 i am always missing my flanker wings. 

Slow and steady wins the race. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

How do you enable damage in XP11?

My sim just restarts when I crash

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It should be noted that the DCS video above focuses on rotor separation, and the real results of mast bumping more often include things like tail contact and cockpit damage, including some horrifying things like the pilot being decapitated. That's probably the result of left cyclic input to counteract the right roll from the tail rotor, when the main rotor unloads. This was a big problem in the Vietnam era with Hueys and Cobras.

We don't need to go that far in a flight sim, but it's worth knowing about. With X-Plane it could be handled the way DCS does it, with a clean rotor separation. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

How do you enable damage in XP11?

My sim just restarts when I crash

Uncheck Settings => General=> Damage: Reset to the nearest airport when you crash

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)