Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

X-Plane wet runways question

Have to say X-Plane 11 looks very interesting to me for instance the stock 737 in the demo looks amazing in external view thing looks real - impressive - quick question noticed in videos that none of the tarmacs - runways etc. are wet looking when raining am I missing something - thanks 

Rich Sennett

The runways aren't showing a special wet visual texture, no. They didn't in XP10 either. 

However, if you set weather to heavy precipitation, you'll see "spray" being blown behind propellers on the runway, indicating a wet surface. Your tires will be more slippery too.. unrealistically so in some cases, but it's a beta. 

In XP10 we could set things manually for runway surface traction between Clean and dry, Damp, or Wet, with further division for "patchy" or "uniform." Also "icy" when the conditions were right. These would also be set automatically when using real world METAR weather injection. It looks like XP11 is hiding all this stuff behind the more simplified Weather panel, so we can't see exactly what's happening.

I just set heavy precip and tried loading my Turbo Goose in the XP11 beta with engines running, and it started sliding all over the runway... the brakes didn't work! So this obviously needs a wee bit of tweaking still.

Anyway, the point here is that X-Plane does things with runway traction that aren't visible by looking at the runway surface in different weather conditions. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The runways aren't showing a special wet visual texture, no. They didn't in XP10 either. 

However, if you set weather to heavy precipitation, you'll see "spray" being blown behind propellers on the runway, indicating a wet surface. Your tires will be more slippery too.. unrealistically so in some cases, but it's a beta. 

In XP10 we could set things manually for runway surface traction between Clean and dry, Damp, or Wet, with further division for "patchy" or "uniform." Also "icy" when the conditions were right. These would also be set automatically when using real world METAR weather injection. It looks like XP11 is hiding all this stuff behind the more simplified Weather panel, so we can't see exactly what's happening.

I just set heavy precip and tried loading my Turbo Goose in the XP11 beta with engines running, and it started sliding all over the runway... the brakes didn't work! So this obviously needs a wee bit of tweaking still.

Anyway, the point here is that X-Plane does things with runway traction that aren't visible by looking at the runway surface in different weather conditions. 

Thanks kind of odd it doesnt have wet appearance with all the other eye candy it has I would have thought that would be a basic visual that would be there - strange 

Rich Sennett

i have been using x-plane al the time now for about 6 months now, the biggest problem i have is in fact weather condition visuals on runways and seasonal textures. i really miss that part of p3d. i have never had an oom in x-plane so i can't complain.

I hope more people moved over to x-plane or at least buy x-plane 11. the more users we can get, the better addons.we could see addons like active sky in x-plane. pmdg has already taken notice with the dc6. if you like boeings get the flight factor

757 v2, 767 and 777, for airbus the jar design a320 and a330 are top choices, for general aviation, there are just too many to name. sorry i went off topic, the x-plane forums someone made winter textures, but what i understand it's a pain to install.

Anything i can to help feel free to message me, my father is dying of cancer so i am at the computer pretty much around the clock as i take care of him.

Hopefully they will add these kind of features especially now that they are including particle effects. Apart from a shiny wet surface, I would like to see standing water when it rains. Perhaps they will implement something similar to the shader effect idea they had of snow accumulating as an approach to implementing seasons. They could maybe do something like that with rain and standing water so that it builds up over time or later dries up. This has been done in a number of games like GTA, Watchdogs and various racing sims. It looks really cool and would add a big sense of immersion to the airport environments.

Thanks kind of odd it doesnt have wet appearance with all the other eye candy it has I would have thought that would be a basic visual that would be there - strange 

True, that's one thing really lacking. Now that X-Plane 11 has Physically Based Rendering, maybe modeling wet runways can be more easily implemented by developers. I hope so!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

i have been using x-plane al the time now for about 6 months now, the biggest problem i have is in fact weather condition visuals on runways and 

So sorry to hear about your father - been there myself - appreciate your help - I think I will buy X-Plane 11 - why not - at some point would appreciate you giving me some tips - hang in there and thank you 

Rich Sennett