Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Magnetic variation file for 2017 available

Herve Sors has once again kindly provided the updated magnetic variation file for FS9, FSX and P3D.

The file for 2017 is available from here.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Is this still needed in P3D, or is it something that LM has taken care of?

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

Is this still needed in P3D, or is it something that LM has taken care of?

You ask as if this is a bug that needs fixed.  It is not. Replacing a simple small bgl file is probably the easiest way to update the application, it would be far more difficult to halt the wandering of the magnetic poles.

Dan Downs KCRP

You ask as if this is a bug that needs fixed.

Not a necessarily a bug.  Something, now that LM is actively developing the sim, knows changes annually and keeps updated. 

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

I'm still wondering what the use of updating this file is? I'm using the stock file that come with FSX and everything works fine when flying my PMDG birds.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm still wondering what the use of updating this file is? I'm using the stock file that come with FSX and everything works fine when flying my PMDG birds.

This does what the filename suggests. It updates the Magnetic Variation that changes over time. So if you use real world approach charts, look at the ILS Course Headings. 

You will see in some cases a rather large discrepancy from whats on the chart vs in the sim. Secondly if you update your AIRAC cycle to something more current your FMS data will use these new values. Furthermore to satisfy the FMS you input the real world actual course, but then your ND won't line up with your outdated sim MAG VAR.