Sign in to follow this  
kama2004

Upgrading machine - last check before buying

Hi All,

I have a 2011 setup with a I7 2600K, Maximus motherboard and 8 Gig ram.

I want to keep my 980 graphic card (purchased 2015), computer case, power supply, water cooler, and 2 SSD (240 G purchased 2 years ago and 100G purchased 2011). I also keep a 1 TB HDD.

All my P3D setup is on the SSD and the HDD is used for backup and less important stuff.

My original vendor propose the following upgrade:

- I7 6700K, 4.2 Ghz (I intend to OC moderately at 4.4) : 510 CAD (390 usd approx)

- Gigabyte motherboard, X gaming 3, Z170 : 230 CAD (175 usd approx)

- 8 Gig Kingston hyper gamer X DDR4, 2666 Mhz, 2 x 4 Gig : 120 CAD (90 usd approx)

I'm not looking generally for top performance. I have several profiles and adjust according to flight scenario to keep 30 fps. Work fine for me. Never experienced OOM (except when deliberately trying).

I dont use external traffic add-on (Use Vox so I put some trafic but not much). I dont use detailed large airport except Montreal Fly tampa. Fly most of the time A2A Cherookee with GTN 750. Q400 sometimes.

My software suite include: P3d 3.4, ASNext, REX 4 texture direct and soft cloud, EZCA, LInda, Spad, Global and LC north america Orbx, Ai Ships, Freemesh X and several Orbx north american region. 

Is the suggestion from the vendor seems appropriate or better choices are possible?

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

1) You will not need to OC your 4.2 turbo machine. I am running everything basically on highest, have 30 fps limit on P3D with Full orbx products(litterly) and flying almost exclusivly payware aircraft today. You wont need to OC.

2) DDR4 is good, but see if you can go for 32 gig (in the sim world thats what we will need in a couple of years.). 8 gig wont suffice mate.

I'd up the RAM amount as well... I'd suggest a minimum of 16 GB, with more if the budget can allow. As DragoB says, if you can push to 32 GB, you'll be better positioned for the future (*or today, in the case of X-Plane 10/11)

Good luck! I'm hoping to cobble together a new build in the near future too.

I would prefer the Gigabyte Gaming 5 over  the Gaming 3 MOBO.  More USB connections, better quality fittings.

I have a Gaming 5, my wife has a Gaming 3, which blew out all the USB ports after 6 months.  It would be a pain to have to RMA the MOBO, then wait for a replacement.

Stephen Forsgren

For P3D, 32 GB is a total waste,  8 GB will actually do the job.   :smile:  

Bert

ok thanks all for advices.

I will consider the alternative board.

For the Ram, i will stick with 8 for now. I just use P3d and 8 will do the trick. We have no idea when V4 could be out and even then, what will be the Ram requirements. There could be also some time before the developpers bring an interesting new ecosyst around the new P3D and at that time, I will probably be interested in another more significant upgrade.

Pierre

For P3D, 32 GB is a total waste,  8 GB will actually do the job.   :smile:

Depends what else he runs on the machine. I'm upgrading from 16 to 32 because I often hit 15gb of system usage, especially with some Chrome tabs. P3D + various 3rd party applications will easily use up a most of that 8GB.

I would also go 16. Good for the future and if you consider using XP11 down the road.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

well, ok I will consider 16 but not sure it will be used much....

Pierre

16 isn't essential. I have 8 in my old rig and was just fine. And you could easily upgrade if required. However, 16 isn't hugely expensive and for the reasons mentioned by the others, of worthy consideration.