Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Help FS9 will not start, computer has run out of memory

Today when I tried to start my FS9 I got a error saying that my computer has run out of available memory and the FS9 start up quits. What could be the reason for this?? I have plenty of hard drive space, and the sim was working fine yesterday.

I am over the 1,000 mark in the scenery cfg file. Could that have something to do with it? I don't know what to do. Please help!

Ok I feel real stupid now. After a few minutes I just hit the reset button on the computer and rebooted. Now FS9 works fine.

Edit: Damm it happened again! Computer has run out of memory error. :mad:

I hate to state the obvious, but you know memory and hard drive space are two different things, right?

I hate to state the obvious, but you know memory and hard drive space are two different things, right?

So how I check the memory on Windows 7? When it comes to computers I don't know a lot.

PS: Everything seems to be working fine except for my FS9.

I think the out of memory comes up if you have a bad scenery.  Try disabling the last scenery you installed and see if that cures the problem.

Greg

I think the out of memory comes up if you have a bad scenery.  Try disabling the last scenery you installed and see if that cures the problem.

Greg

Well that last scenery I installed was that new payware Tees Valley scenery and and the new BDOAviation Lamezia Terme (LICA) scenery. I installed those last night and the sim ran fine last night.

It is weird. When I first tried to start the sim tonight I got the out of memory error, I restarted the computer and then the sim loaded fine. Then a bit later I installed some AI and again I got the out of memory error when I tried to start the sim after I installed the new AI. After that I waited until just a few minutes ago and I started the sim and it started up fine. Could this be a computer problem and not a problem with FS9?

I found out that the scenery causing the problem is the new BDOAviation Lamezia Terme (LICA) scenery. I un-installed the last 5 scenery I installed and everything was fine until I re-installed the LICA scenery. That's when the out of memory error started again.

It is weird because after I bought the scenery I went to the new LICA scenery in the sim and watched AI at the airport for a few minutes and everything was fine.

I did email BDOAviation so I hope they will help me. But what causes the out of memory error? Maybe I can fix it myself.

I figured you had a problem with a scenery you recently added.  I also have the BDO LICA scenery and it works fine so perhaps somehow you have a corrupted file in one of the directories.  If you haven't done so already I'd try and completely wipe that scenery from your computer and then install from scratch.  I'd also look to see what the installer places in your scenery.cfg file as an entry.  If you have hundreds and hundreds of scenery entries like I do sometimes the auto installers screw things up.  That is a reason I always install to a sandbox outside my FS9 directories and then copy the files over and manually put the new scenery entry in my cfg file.

Thanks for the advice gaputz. I will try and do a fresh install of the scenery tomorrow (it is late here now). Here is what the scenery.cfg file entry was before I uninstalled the scenery earlier tonight.

[Area.1004]

Title=BDOaviation - Lamezia Terme (FS2004)

Local=Addon Scenery\BDOaviation - Lamezia Terme (FS2004)

Remote=

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Layer=1004

I did delete the airport scenery folder but what other files are installed for the scenery? (maybe like effect files)

Edit: where do I get sandbox? Maybe that is the only way to get this scenery installed and working properly

"Out of memory" does not mean that you somehow have a memory shortage but rather that something is trying to access a memory address outside your existing memory array. It's in fact a Windows error message which is initiated by some kind of programming error in something which is programmable within your FS9, e.g. a panel gauge, a light, an effect, etc.

My advice would therefore be to not only suspect any recent scenery addons but to also suspect any recent aircraft addons. You could also try other aircraft at your Lamezia Terme airport to see if you can single out any possible culprit and to them proceed further from there.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Edit: where do I get sandbox? Maybe that is the only way to get this scenery installed and working properly

It is just an expression meaning a testing environment outside your FS9 setup.  I have a dummy set up for FS9 that I point the installer to, if the installer allows it.   Your entry looks fine but what I was referring to was situations where the installer does not add a new layer number but arbitrarily sets the layer to a number already in use.  My experience is that this happens more often than not since I went well over a 1000 layers.  In any event I meant that more as a tip rather than a solution to your problem.  It is far easier to trouble shoot a problem if you know what files were installed and where they were placed by the installer. I still suspect that there was a bad file in that last scenery you installed if you don't otherwise have a problem when the scenery is either removed or deactivated.  As is mentioned elsewhere, it is highly unlikely you actually have a memory problem.  If you have narrowed it down to that particular scenery try downloading a new copy of the airport from wherever you purchased it. 

Well I downloaded the exe again from Simmarket and re-installed the scenery but I still get the out of memory error. Then I tried again because the installer lets you choose the path where the scenery gets installed, and I installed it to a dummy folder then moved it to my FS9 folder (I didn't do that the first time). Started the sim and I got the memory error again.

This is very frustrating! I have all their other payware sceneries and some of their freeware sceneries without any problems.

PS: While looking through the texture files I noticed some of them were 32 bit (29 of them) while the other texture files where DXT3 files. Could that be causing the trouble?

When I have 32 bit AI aircraft textures my sim crashes, but I never had a out of memory error. My sim just crashes without any error messages.

I have the BDOAviation LICA scenery installed, and there are no 32 bit textures in my folder. They all DXT3 (16 bit) and the biggest files are 2048 x 2048 pixels at 5,592,506 bytes (mainly aerial photo ground tiles).

I've had no problems with this scenery on my system.

Graeme Butler

I had a look at the BDO LICA textures but I don't see any in 32bit.  What I did notice is that a great many of the textures are 2048 X 2048, especially the terrain tile textures.  I suppose this is a left over from the FSX version of the scenery and they didn't bother to convert them to the native FS9  maximum of 1024 X 1024.  These textures will work in FS9 as long as they are mipped.   FS9 will only display the 1024 mip map as well as the lesser resolution mips down the scale. If these 2048 X 2048 textures were not mipped they would not show at all.  You don't seem to have a problem with any other scenery but just this one, which has these larger format textures. So, perhaps this is a clue and maybe the cure to your problem is how you've set up your FS9 to handle mip mapping.  There is a mip mapping quality setting within FS9.    

Greg