Sign in to follow this  

Captain Sim 707 VOR Navigation Problem

Yesterday I purchased the Captain Sim 707, and am very please with the quality of it. But when I went to try and do a flight with VOR to VOR navigation, I could only fly to my first one and not the second. I set up the correct frequency and course, I turn on autopilot, LOC VOR, and in the flight director panel I turn on NAV/LOC and the flight director. Once autopilot is engaged, it flies the correct track, but once I am less than 10 nautical miles out I change the frequency and course to my next VOR, soon after it displays how many miles until the second but then I get an OFF flag on the VOR indicator and I am able to freely turn my airplane, at the same time an annunciator panel called V/L lights up and despite checking and trying to fix it, I am unable to navigate to the other VOR. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

VOR signal distances vary for several reasons. Also, not all of them have DME.  When performing your flight plan, you may need to chart the course to the next VOR and fly to intercept it.  Another method is to chart two VOR intercept points and fly to those points, but more direct flights to VORs should be used when possible.

When performing VOR to VOR flights when the next signal isn't available be sure to calculate the affects of wind on your flight path.  There are several great websites (with tools) out there, and Google should help you locate them.

Also... there is a mod for the 707 that adds an FMC.  Google should help you find that as well (I don't have the 707, I'm just familiar with it).

Best wishes.

EDIT:  FSX/P3D does not have all the VOR changes that have occurred real world, so watch that in your flights planning (check in the FSX flight planner).  There are both a payware and freeware software that will add this missing VORs.

Final note:  The U.S. is currently removing (or about to) VORs from service in favor of satellite navigation.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply, it helps a lot! But I was also wondering if there were any other forms of navigation that can be used on an old steam gauge aircraft like the 707, such as Victor airways, and for transatlantic flights would dead-reckoning be used primarily?

My grandfather used to be a flight engineer on the 707 (and after four more different types of aircraft going through the ranks, became an A310 Captain) so I would like to get as much realism out of this airplane as I can.

Victor airways are essentally the same as Jetways, only below FL180, so I don't think that's the answer.

DR, use of sextants, floating and shipboard Navaids is all the old school stuff and is way before my time (I'm retired Military, so I know about them, but from a historical perspective) so I'm afraid that I can't be of much help to you.  My guess would be DR along with/without forms of Interial Navigation.

I'm fairly sure you could find your answers via a few Google searches. If so... come back and share?

Best wishes.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, when I find some answers through google, I will be sure to share it with everyone.

The CS 707 has a functioning Doppler navigation system.   For a real world 707 with only Doppler and VHF navigation radios and NDB radios, you would have used Jet airways using the  VHF nav radios over land, and then the over water part would have followed the published NAT tracks for that day using the Doppler system, I think.

the 707, such as Victor airways, and for transatlantic flights would dead-reckoning be used primarily

All the "320C" freighters I was around had dual INS.  It was a big improvement over Doppler. :smile:

Do a Google search "civa ins captain sim b707" which will give you a link to the CS B707 forum and how to install the Simufly Civa Ins on the CS B707.  I've tried it and it worked OK. 

blaustern

If you want to just pretend that you have INS installed, just use the autopilot selector knob position labeled 'NAV" all the way to the left and it will follow your loaded FSX flight plan. The Civa INS is cool, but pretty damn tedious to program. I like the simplified version that CS included in the L1011 and the latest update of the 727. You still have to initialize and set it up, but your FSX flight plan is already loaded for you.

Thanks everybody, this information on how to navigate this thing really gives me a better understanding of it all

Sign in to follow this