Sign in to follow this  
caaront

How can you add hangars and terminal bldgs to small GA airports in X-plane 11

First, before I forget, if I buy the full XP11 beta (usin demo now and love it) do I also get the full XP 10?

And will ther full XP11 once released be free or will I have to buy it?

I know that not all airports in XP have buildings on the grounds, but seems like I read in a thread here somewhere that it was easy to add some by going to one of the folders or whatever inside of the main XP folder.

Was I completely misunderstanding the statement, or like the plane maker in there is there also a way to simply add buildings at the airports?

Or, is there a simple payware option like Easy Scenery 3 for P3D?

I love it, because I can add any of thousands of objects anywhere very easily inside of P3D.

Thank you for your time.

I love to fly locally in the sim-KMWL, and I doubt XP has any airport buildings there.

Can someone post a SS of KMWL for me?

I do plan to purchase the full beta, hopefully tomorrow.

Hey, I found this, I think it is exactly what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KdItTQ67Q

Will it work with XP11?

Thank you.

If there are other programs let me know.

Aaron Tirrell

Okay, there is XP Overlay Editor, and World Editor, I will research them and see what else there is.

Aaron Tirrell

Well, you've already discovered the two main ones I think, but a little bit more info:

If you're just interested in adding a bit of flavor to existing scenery, then the Overlay Editor is likely fine (not sure about it's compatibility with XP11). I understand it's capable of building quite a bit, but I never bothered with it much, for the below reason -

With X-Plane, they provide the ability (Airport Scenery Gateway) and the tools (WorldEditor, or WED for short) to actually contribute airport scenery to the main program. Not all airports are in 3D; more are being built all the time, but most of the small airports are contributed by people like you, who want a proper 3D airport for their area (or region, or country) in the simulator. The WorldEditor program is easy to use, and it's built by the X-Plane developers.

There's a good tutorial on using WED right here on Avsim.

You can go a step further, and utilize third party libraries downloaded from xplane.org to create even more realistic scenery, but then they aren't eligible for inclusion in the simulator itself; they'll always be a custom airport that, if you want to share, you'll have to upload somewhere else. I always urge anyone going that route to at least upload a simplified version to the Gateway; one of the most common complaints about X-Plane is the amount of flat, simple single runway airstrips. By contributing for an airport you care about, that means there will be one less flat airport in the (X-Plane) world. :smile:

I have a goal for myself to ensure all airports in my province (Alberta) have 3D scenery and proper layouts in X-Plane. I go through spurts where I do quite a few, but then I get distracted (or burnt out) and do something else for a bit, or I get distracted by wanting to fly somewhere else like BC or Saskatchewan or NWT, and then making 3D scenery there instead. One day it'll get there though!

The point is, it's entirely possible to make scenery not just for yourself, but for the whole community. :smile:

By the way - KMWL needs improving, it's completely plain and flat in the sim, according to the Gateway.

First, before I forget, if I buy the full XP11 beta (usin demo now and love it) do I also get the full XP 10?
And will ther full XP11 once released be free or will I have to buy it?

And to answer your very first questions, the price you pay for XP11 is for the full simulator. It gives you access to the current full beta of XP11, plus you get to own a copy of XP10 as well. So essentially, one purchase = XP11 for it's entire life span, access to the current XP11 public beta (and all future betas, now and for future point releases), and XP10.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Okay, thank you.

I downloaded them both just in case, so if I build up around KMWL I can share it with the XPO world?

Cool.

Is WED going to be compatible with XP 11?

I guess ASG is just the place to download or upload scenery?

Thanks for the link.

So KMWL in ASG is the actual area around the airport boundry?

So does WED show a kind of boundry around KMWL, so I jusr edit within that area so it will be standard across the board so to speak?

Aaron Tirrell

Okay, thank you.

I downloaded them both just in case, so if I build up around KMWL I can share it with the XPO world?

Cool.

Is WED going to be compatible with XP 11?

I guess ASG is just the place to download or upload scenery?

Thanks for the link.

So KMWL in ASG is the actual area around the airport boundry?

So does WED show a kind of boundry around KMWL, so I jusr edit within that area so it will be standard across the board so to speak?

With WED, you actually upload to the Gateway from within the application itself. You will have to have registered at the Gateway in order to do so. Keep in mind that the primary goal is accurate layout of runways & taxiways, with preferably reasonable parking spots. You have some a lot of leeway when it comes to buildings for Gateway airports, because there's not an overwhelming amount of assets to use. Once you upload, the scenery will get inspected by a moderator, and they'll let you know if the scenery is rejected for any reason. If / when accepted, it'll make it's way into a future version of X-Plane.

WED isn't yet updated to take advantage of the new airport features in XP11, but the airports you build with it (past and present) will end up in XP11. (Currently, the XP11 beta airports are lagging quite a ways behind the gateway - I've had some that were approved before the 11 was announced that aren't in the beta yet).

Typically you don't actually need to download anything from the Gateway website. You can, but what's there (and approved) will be in the sim at some point. You can download airports early if say, they have been recently published and aren't in the sim yet.

If you were to install WED and download KMWL, it would likely not show much beyond a runway and a taxiway. Typically, what I do is use either a program that interacts with WED called WEDbing (not an official program at all) to get reference imagery within WED to accurately layout the airport. You can include stuff outside the airport, but it's best not to get carried away with that for a Gateway airport, in my opinion. I generally stick to the airport itself, and occasionally depict some immediately local industrial areas.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.