Sign in to follow this  
XelaDnarb

NGX CTD

Evening all,

Having a consistent issue where it is literally possible to complete a flight without P3D crashing. This only happens with the NGX, and if I get through the whole flight without a cash, it will without fail CTD in the flare without fail. Infuriating not being able to complete a flight.

This issue has survived multiple reinstalls and resets of the sim and computer.

Ideas anyone?

To elaborate a little further on circumstances, it usually happens 30-130 miles from destination. When I reload the flight to last autosave, the NGX does its load thing, finishes with no active route or crz alt, all freezes for a while (~1 min, except for the standby instruments, they work at 1fps) then resumes working (except I can't put a crz alt into the fmc, that also causes CTD). I then fly the star, do the approach and it'll freeze between 5 and 10 feet off the deck and not come back.

I have Linda, pro atc, asn, a flight logger, ai traffic manager and external raas programme running independent of flightsim, and in the sim, ftx au traffic, ftx orbx stuff, and an airport afcad.

It all looks stunning, the system is super stable and smooth all the time, save for stable when the NGX is running. T7 works fine.

Ideas anyone?

Start Menu > type "View Prob" and look for the "View All Problem Reports" option. Select it. Find P3D in the list and select the latest crash report. Paste the contents of the crash report here.

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

The program Prepar3D.exe version 3.4.14.18870 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 2788

Start Time: 01d24bc4767192fd

Termination Time: 57

Application Path: F:\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

Report Id: 48042bfc-b7b8-11e6-9440-408d5c70ab63

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

...and...

The program Prepar3D.exe version 3.4.14.18870 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 1b00

Start Time: 01d24bc512b59aea

Termination Time: 74

Application Path: F:\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe

Report Id: 8d3c4fc2-b7bc-11e6-9440-408d5c70ab63

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Always the same. No faulty module.

Alex Brand

No error code or faulting module makes this difficult.  Note that the PMDG dll module is not named, which means even if it only happens with NGX it cannot be traced to the NGX code.

I've seen a few things cause this, and none of them might be your specific problem.  First, if you have any addons that load modules in P3D make sure they are up to date.  Every minor update from LM requires updates from Orbx, FSDT, HiFi, FSUIPC and others.  The most common problem I have is with FSDT not updating the couatl.exe; therefore, I have downloaded the AddOn Manager standalone installer from FSDT and run it every minor P3D update.

If none of above it might be a video driver, and if not that then you need to start removing stuff from your configuration to determine the culprit.  Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

No driver to update-it seems everything is in order and updated.

Something I was quite suspicious of was pro atc. I haven't NG'd since installing pro atc (mostly T7, RJ's and legacy 73's). I had forgone FSUIPC autosave for pro atc autosave since installing, and that may well have been the culprit. I did a flight without it and no issues, a nice smooth flight without the obligatory 10 or so second freeze during autosave where I pray simconnect doesn't time out. 

I hate not using autosave (gives me undue anxiety at every non standard noise, and that's saying something, I feel comfortable flying single engine pistons over open water as my day job), and can with everything else on the sim except the NGX it seems.

Is there a way to see what the issue with pro atc autosave is? Or a way to isolate weather it is the problem or not?

Alex Brand

One flight may be a fluke- I'll try again in the coming days.

I would recommend trying a few more flights with PRO ATC off and see how that goes, then turn it back on and see if you start to suffer the crashes again. Then you will have a firmer ground to point at PRO ATC as the culprit. Perhaps then it might be helpful to turn to their support and see if they can help you out, as the issue you are having is probably not related to anything PMDG specific.

It does seem to be pro at related, in particular pro atc autosave related. With autosave off I have been able to complete flights again!

I'll have a forage around on their forum too see of any other reported issues.

Many thanks,

Alex Brand

It does seem to be pro at related, in particular pro atc autosave related. With autosave off I have been able to complete flights again!

I'll have a forage around on their forum too see of any other reported issues.

Many thanks,

Alex Brand

Glad you found the problem it seems!  But, my favorite part of this whole thread was:

"(gives me undue anxiety at every non standard noise, and that's saying something, I feel comfortable flying single engine pistons over open water as my day job)"

As a single engine piston owner for two decades I still get nervous with a weird noise even over dry land ha!  One day I swear I'm taking the plane to the Bahamas!

And back on topic, NGX working great here.

Haha (re the flight to the Bahamas) it was nice knowing you. Taking a scenic 1500km over the desert tomorrow, talked myself into a twin...I've decided I value my life.

Re the NGX crashing, I think I've narrowed down the issue. When pro atc autosave, it of course generates a pmdg panel state as well, and something isn't quite right with it. It is corrupted in some way. Does this often and for long enough that simconnect stalls and times out. Upon reload, it loads up the corrupted state and I get a simconnect timeout on next autosave (takes too long) and it's good night from there.

So fsiupc autosave is still the way to go. It's a shame pro atc won't work properly.

Alex Brand

talked myself into a twin...I've decided I value my life.

It is a fact that an engine failure is twice as likely in a twin.  The second engine is only guaranteed to take you to the site of the accident.

The only reason to fly a piston twin is for load or speed, otherwise one is pressed to justify the cost. I know this from 15 years of C-414 experience.  Given the opportunity I'd go with a single engine turboprop any day.  Never had pockets that deep.

Dan Downs KCRP