Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Tom's Hardware Overclock Kaby Lake 7700K

I would wait for more information on ryzen and see what the clock speeds are, AMD is looking good to push intel prices down as well.

Not just about clock speed though Brett. IPC is the big deal.

Well.

Seems like my 6700K at 4.7 will serve me (hopefully) a couple of generations.

Looks like it And I'm hoping Skylake prices will drop when Kaby is here. Save me some money when I build my daughters Mini ITX Rig.
  • Upvote 1

At 1.344 volts and running at 5.0 GHZ temps were at 90ºC.  When Benchmarker RichUK delidded a Core i7 7700K, temps reached 66º.

Got this info from http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/delidded-core-i7-7700k-runs-26-degrees-c-cooler.html

Ryzen will be interesting CPU!

If this is true... http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-announces-ryzen-8-core-processor.html

Pretty much the same sort of drop in temp we've seen delliding Skylake then. minus 20-30 isn't unheard of.

I love the nonsense in the comments at the bottom of that article. All this stuff about Intel being responsible for "lazy engineering" and "trying to rip people off with crappy TIM" is so misguided.

These individuals have no idea how expensive and difficult it is to actually solder a die to an IHS. Technically VERY difficult now since the die shrink. Not to mention that the materials used to do so are a limited resource.

Well, maybe......but what's the use of Kaby Lake if it ends up being hardly any different to Skylake?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, maybe......but what's the use of Kaby Lake if it ends up being hardly any different to Skylake?

Very good question! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The only "use" as far as I can see is stuff like Optane, native USB 3.1 and new graphics architecture. In regard to performance, it just looks like Intel have increased the turbo to 4.5, so pretty much just pre overclocking it a bit for us.

Pointless for most of us. Will be great for Skylake customers if the prices drop. Pretty much the same performance and less dosh.