Sign in to follow this  

OSM autogen and so on: need some guidance

Thank you Tony. I had an idea about the range but couldn't figure out how to apply a reasonable setting. Will try again at my test environment, KHQM. There is some good OSM data there but limited to a small part of town. For the rest, default autogen should look good. Hope you will continue your great work somehow. 

Hans

I just gave Ortho4XP another try, just for the fun of it, and created 6 tiles north of Bergen, at ZL16. After that I added Norway Pro. Now as was to be expected the textures were quite low res down low but at a regular flying altitude it was pretty impressive to see all those houses and stuff at the exact right location. Even little cabins were there at the exact right spot. Very, very nice. Very, very cool. It really gave the idea you were actually there or at least you were seeing what you would see when you actually were there.

Two problems: the coasts were quite often wrong (forgot to change masks from 8 to 32: maybe that's it?) and in some places, though not everywhere, the colors were odd. At some places they were spot on though! Main problems were the mountains where the whites were either reddish or greenish. Now I know there is a way to edit that but how? I see some 325 dds files for one tile already...! Do you really have to edit them one by one using... Photoshop?

But anyway, the overall impression was great. This really is the future! If only some company would sell first class photoreal scenery...........

BTW Your Pro regions are great, Tony! Yesterday I tried some Simheaven regions but they were far too big and I had problems getting them to show up. Norway Pro performs great and looks very authentic too! I really must find a way to get better photoreal for Norway!

EDIT

Another question: will Ortho4XP tiles work okay from a regular external HD? Or will that slow down performance considerably? And is ZL18 only bigger or is it also (more ch) slower? My current PC has two 500 MB SSD's... never expected to be using XP... ;)

ZL18 will eat up much more video memory, so you need to be careful and you may end up with stutters. I used to have all my ZL16 on a standard external HD and it loads pretty quickly. 

Ok, thanks! Come to think of it: I have a small external HD lying somewhere: I will use that one to test it! And if it works I am going to get the biggest HD I can get. ;) BTW It's great how the Custom Scenery folder can work with shortcuts: clever system.

Me again: I successfully created a couple of tiles, e.g. Austria, Switzerland and Southern France, using 0.7.4 and the default HD config. Now, I did Bavaria and Upper Bavaria and while the tiles are generated the log showed a lot of "not adding facade **** with negative height/or heights below ***.

When I start the sim loading such a package it' resulting in XP11 crashing (and XP10 as well). 

How can I eliminate an error like this during the generation of a tile? And what is the reason for this error?

Many thanks

Hans

Hans

That error can be ignored during generation. It's becauue somebody has added height tags to a building in OSM and it's either negative or smaller than 1 metre, in which case it simply gets ignored.

Not sure about the error in Bavaria, but I know 0.7.4 had a bug in how it renders some roads and this is what could be causing the crash. You can try this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icu7gbrb9og9wpi/World2XPlane-0.9.9.7z?dl=0 but this is/was a work-in-progress as of September and I used it partially to create my Germany SD package. I've since butchered W2XP so much for my own scenery projects that it currently isn't in a state I can release and will likely stay that way for some time.

If you continue to have crashes then please post your log file.

Well I generated Botswana , the thing is it works in XP10 but crashes in XP11 , gotta try again.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

You can try this version:

https://www.dropbox....e-0.9.9.7z?dl=0

Thank you Tony, I'll try this version. It see it has a hd-autogen config file? What is the difference between this one and the normal hd config?

I like the pilot cat too.

Hans

Hi Hans. Just use exactly the same config file as you've already been using. I don't think I changed anything, but to be safe, continue using your old one. 

Question:

With Orth4XP when you create overlays and point the directory to the XP11 global scenery folder wouldn't you also have the latest OSM data?

Marcel

That's what I have done and it looks great.

Ryan

But by doing so you only get the default XP autogen, right?

Hans

I redid Bavaria with 0.9.9 and this time I got a perfectly working file. Thanks for that. 

As always, I have another question: Is there a way to light up the OSM high rises at night?  I think the scenery would look better at night if there was more light from the 3D buildings. I saw a facades for 3D objects function in the config file but not sure what it does.

I am getting closer to what looks like a perfect scenery for me, so any further ideas and help are highly appreciated. 

Hans

What is the difference in "default autogen" and OSM scenery generated using tools like W2XP? I thought the default scenery in X-Plane uses data from OSM...

Me again: I successfully created a couple of tiles, e.g. Austria, Switzerland and Southern France, using 0.7.4 and the default HD config. 

do you get sometimes buildings inside buildings in w2xp self generated sceneries which could cause flickering...what do you do to fix this?

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM