Sign in to follow this  
super jet 100

What additional mods do I need in order to make X-Plane more realistic?

I'm planning to buy X-Plane 11. What do I need from external modification and add-ons  in order to make my flight in X-Plane from A to B just like in real life? Im mostly concerned about making terrain and airport facilities to look like in real world.

Thanks!

I just installed X-Plane 10 HD Mesh Scenery v3 (which works fine in X-Plane 11, as long as you follow the install instructions exactly).

You will need a LOT of HD space for this, as it not only improves the mesh, but also the vectors (roads and water) and the land class.  (Most of New England, with NY and a bit of Quebec was 3 GB).

But if your flying are is covered, I would highly recommend this.

Here's a shot of my area, using HD Mesh 3.0:

XP11_172SP_Whites_Littleton.jpg

In the middle distance is Mount Washington (and the rest of the Presidential range), with Mount Lafayette on the far right. My Cessna is over Littleton, NH.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I just installed X-Plane 10 HD Mesh Scenery v3 (which seems to work fine in X-Plane 11).

You will need a LOT of HD space for this, as it not only improves the mesh, but also the vectors (roads and water) and the land class. (Most of New England, with NY and a bit of Quebec was 3 GB).

But if your flying are is covered, I would highly recommend this.

Here's a short of my area, using HD Mesh 3.0:

XP11_172SP_Whites_Littleton.jpg

I the middle distance is Mount Washington, NH (and the rest of the Presidental range), with Mount Lafayette on the far right. My Cessna is over Littleton, NH.

May I ask how you manage to get those full colors...? It looks a lot like Orbx colors. On my pc the colors are bland and light and dull...

BTW I downloaded Mesh HD for parts of Europe and though it is an improvement I did read that the data is older: FX11 default data is more up to date. That is a pity.

May I ask how you manage to get those full colors...? It looks a lot like Orbx colors. On my pc the colors are bland and light and dull...

I would guess it's X-Plane 10 ...

Mat I ask how you manage to get those full colors...? It looks a lot like Orbx colors. On my pc the colors are bland and light and dull...

BTW I downloaded Mesh HD for parts of Europe and though it is an improvement I did read that the data is older: FX11 default data is more up to date. That is a pity.

I reduced the default haze, using DataRefEditor, as explained by efisoo, in this thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/498866-xp11-haze-quantity-clouds-color-solved/

The only changes I made were: 

Fog/std_deviation_cutoff=0.3000000 (default is 1.5)
Clouds/ambient_gain=5.00000 (default is 1.0)
Skyc/whiteout_in_clouds=0.000000 (default is 1.0)

HD mesh's data is only 2 years older, which isn't all that much to me, compared to the improvements I'm seeing on my GA flights.

Here's another screenshot, flying through Pinkham Notch NH:

XP11_172SP_Pinkham_Notch01.jpg
Left to right: Northern portion of Mount Washington (with Huntington Ravine, and Nelson Crag visible), Mount Adams, and Mount Madison.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I reduced the default haze, using DataRefEditor, as explained by efisoo, in this thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/498866-xp11-haze-quantity-clouds-color-solved/

The only changes I made were:

Fog/std_deviation_cutoff=0.3000000 (default is 1.5)

Clouds/ambient_gain=5.00000 (default is 1.0)

Skyc/whiteout_in_clouds=0.000000 (default is 1.0)

HD mesh's data is only 2 years older, which isn't all that much to me, compared to the improvements I'm seeing on my GA flights.

Thanks! Maybe the scenery over there simply is more colorful because I also used that trick but things still look bland. Odd. I will download Mesh HD for that area and check it out. Could also be a specific time of day, I guess.

And yes, 2 years isn't that much... ;)

Always make sure that the visibility is set to max (100 miles) in the detailed weather screen.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Following this thread for sure - looking forward to any must have hints ect. for the newbies   :wink:

I reduced the default haze, using DataRefEditor, as explained by efisoo, in this thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/498866-xp11-haze-quantity-clouds-color-solved/

Hi safe to assume this is where I get this mesh ? thank you - amazed at the content to be had for free for X-Plane

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Following this thread for sure - looking forward to any must have hints ect. for the newbies   :wink:

Hi safe to assume this is where I get this mesh ? thank you - amazed at the content to be had for free for X-Plane

Yes, be sure to read the installation instructions (how to set the scenery_packs.ini order etc.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, be sure to read the installation instructions (how to set the scenery_packs.ini order etc.)

Thank you much - thats a lot of downloading noticed for a price you can get the whole thing in one shot here but not a fan of waiting for a dvd

http://www.fspilotshop.com/mesh-scenery-for-plane-freeware-dvd-backup-p-5332.html

Rich Sennett

Right!

And if you like it - like me - you may want to consider to make a donation to the author! :wink:

He mentioned that he may do a version 4 of his superb work so any $ counts...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Right!

And if you like it - like me - you may want to consider to make a donation to the author! :wink:

Here you on that  :wink:

Right!

What about vector is there something for that ? thanks 

Rich Sennett

In addition to what the others said:

I slowly familiarized myself with XP during the 10. cycle and the learning curve was quite steep. 

BUT: Imagine no registry entries, no folders all across your PC. In case something goes wrong just delete the last copied files. Even if this doesn't work, run the installer and it will fix it. The only tricky thing are the plugins (lua and python) but you get used to it. 

Scenery creation requires one thing, HDD space and lots of it. Ortho4XP and World2XP are a must. Then the library installer you get at the XP org.

Some money needs to be invested, SMP4 is ante portas as well as XEnviro, if you don't have SMP3 and its weather connector then XEnviro may well be worth a look. MaxxFX does a nice job to get rid of the bland colors.

Addon aircraft as usual, less choice compared to the ESP platform but a couple of great choices, some good Carenados, the fab ixeg737 and of course the PMDG DC-6.

For weather FSrealWX is fine. 

ATC and AI are the problem childs. With PF3 and Pilot2ATC this has improved though. 

Check out X-FMC for a universal FMC (free) and iFMS (15 EUR/$) for an Ipad/Android Tab FMS solution, both great.

Welcome on board (by a die hard Prepar3D fan)

Hans

What about vector is there something for that ? thanks

Well, to the best of my knowledge, vector data are included in the HD-Mesh/UHD-Mesh.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

In addition to what the others said:

I slowly familiarized myself with XP during the 10. cycle and the learning curve was quite steep. 

BUT: Imagine no registry entries, no folders all across your PC. In case something goes wrong just delete the last copied files. Even if this doesn't work, run the installer and it will fix it. The only tricky thing are the plugins (lua and python) but you get used to it. 

Scenery creation requires one thing, HDD space and lots of it. Ortho4XP and World2XP are a must. Then the library installer you get at the XP org.

Some money needs to be invested, SMP4 is ante portas as well as XEnviro, if you don't have SMP3 and its weather connector then XEnviro may well be worth a look. MaxxFX does a nice job to get rid of the bland colors.

Addon aircraft as usual, less choice compared to the ESP platform but a couple of great choices, some good Carenados, the fab ixeg737 and of course the PMDG DC-6.

For weather FSrealWX is fine. 

ATC and AI are the problem childs. With PF3 and Pilot2ATC this has improved though. 

Check out X-FMC for a universal FMC (free) and iFMS (15 EUR/$) for an Ipad/Android Tab FMS solution, both great.

Welcome on board (by a die hard Prepar3D fan)

Very familiar with plugins in my 3d software - photoshop ect. so should be ok there

I think the Enviro is at the top of my list along with other must haves including aircraft - have to wait it out for XP-11 compatibility

You mention SMP3 and MaxxFX do these work on XP-11 ? should I wait ?

FSrealWX does this work with XP-11 to hold me over ?

I do own Pilot2atc wonder if I have to buy XP version have to look into that

Check out X-FMC for a universal FMC - very interesting XP-11 working ? until I can pick up the XP-11 working payware aircraft ?

​Thanks Hans looking forward to joining your club  :wink: be fun

Well, to the best of my knowledge, vector data are included in the HD-Mesh/UHD-Mesh.

Yes I think I read that somewhere - thank you much  :smile:

Rich Sennett