Sign in to follow this  
caaront

If you purchase XP 11 beta do you get XP 10 also?

Seems that you get the XP10 included when you buy the Beta version of XP11. Therefore I do not understand that existing owners of XP10 have to purchase the new sim XP11 a full price. I happened to buy the XP10 in May this year to find out that I have to pay again full price when I wanted to move into XP11. Is there anyone who can explain why? I feel a kind of ripped off by Laminar.

Seems that you get the XP10 included when you buy the Beta version of XP11. Therefore I do not understand that existing owners of XP10 have to purchase the new sim XP11 a full price. I happened to buy the XP10 in May this year to find out that I have to pay again full price when I wanted to move into XP11. Is there anyone who can explain why? I feel a kind of ripped off by Laminar.

Because buying the sim before a special does not entitle you to that offer after the fact. Simple as that.

Ask yourself this, if you as a company annouce on Nov 1st that you will release a new version on Dec 1st.  Who is buying the old version in the meantime ?  Exactly nobody.  So you use it as a quite clever marketing tool to convince people to pull the trigger now and impuls buy it. And quite frankly it worked.

Wether or not you bought in may is irrelevant. You bought xp10 because there was nothing else there.  This only changed when they officially announced xp11.

• Upvote 1

I understand how you feel. :mad:

This is today's way of doing business. Some businesses reward new customers instead of their current client base. There was a time when new customers were more expensive to find than keeping a valued customer. Times have changed and it seems to be working with today's customer.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Seems that you get the XP10 included when you buy the Beta version of XP11. Therefore I do not understand that existing owners of XP10 have to purchase the new sim XP11 a full price.

It's simple really, they have to make money to stay in business. I'm taking a guess and saying that a very large part of their customers already own XP10, so it would be a bad move to offer it for a discount. It's not like they release a new sim every year for this business model to work, so makes sense to me. Plus I'd say $60 for a sim is not a huge amount of money when you consider what people pay for P3D upgrades and how many years it is going to last. I don't begrudge paying it at all..

• Upvote 2

XP10 to XP11 is like FS2004 to FSX

It's a new sim and there are development costs.  Plus XP10 has been out for some time (maybe 4 years)... XP11 is new software.  I already owned XP10 for some time (the regional pack) but now I bought direct from LR.  I now have a global XP10 and global XP11 beta and I'll get ALL the beta and final updates as it progresses... for $60.  Seriously that's cheap!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

XP10 to XP11 is like FS2004 to FSX

It's a new sim and there are development costs.  Plus XP10 has been out for some time (maybe 4 years)... XP11 is new software.  I already owned XP10 for some time (the regional pack) but now I bought direct from LR.  I now have a global XP10 and global XP11 beta and I'll get ALL the beta and final updates as it progresses... for $60.  Seriously that's cheap!

XP10 is about 5 years old now. And yes the digital download special is a ludicrously good deal. It's a no brainer if you don't have any version of X-Plane or if you just had the XP10 DVDs (like me).

XP 11 is more of a patch to me.

The better visuals is what got me hooked. I'm hypnotized! :wub:

I appreciate that most add-ons from XP 10 work and some devs are offering free upgrades. Some will charge a small upgrade fee. Some will offer 50% off their update. That's ok with me.

Let's be real. Most software developers offer an upgrade discount to their valued customers. Stop it, please!

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

And perhaps we should talk about the real reason behind this offer. In reality the majority of the people who buy this, simply want X-Plane 11 as early as possible. But during the beta there is always the possibility that the current X-Plane Version doesn´t work. There is no stable fallback as in normal beta phases.

So they offer X-Plane 10 as a stable fallback, even for customers, who never owned X-Plane 10.

• Upvote 1

Let's be real. Most software developers offer an upgrade discount to their valued customers. 

Most software developers don't go as long as 5 years between major versions. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Most software developers don't go as long as 5 years between major versions. 

And have an army of developers as Rob so kindly pointed out to me - they need more worker bees - imagine if they did - get on it Laminar

Rich Sennett

i would like to have a gift card from the org store for x-enviro lol

Maybe Santa is watching   :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett