Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just finished setting up my new Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor

Depends on what you're flying.

A 34" 21:9 will give you a much better sense of speed, but the smaller size will keep things more out of scale. With a 43" you'll be able to come closer to life size of the scenery and cockpit instruments and remain a correct zoom.

I'm testing 3 x 27" Dell monitors now. The feeling of speed is tremendous because of the wide view, still the virtual cockpit is a bit too small as I'm used to a 50" LCD TV.

The perfect setup would be two 21:9 monitors on top of eachother, but I don't know if that is doable - and the amount of pixels would probably bring the computer to a meltdown...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi Folks,

Man - I'm so conflicted...

• 34" 21:9 Ulta Wide

or

• 43" 16:9 4K TV

My 20" 4:3 has to go...

Regards,

Scott

I was too.  Went thru the same decision recently.  It was a tough call, the Ultrawide was WOW looking. But I did go with a 40 4K TV.  Love it.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

The next time you open up P3D, it will be full 21:9 and in Full Screen Mode.

Just to be sure: Does this only work in full screen mode or also in windowed mode? And does the same apply to XP11?

Hans

HDMI, or D.P. (Display Port),   which connection gives the better picture and throughput?

Display Port is the higher bandwidth on a longer cable with full colour, HDMI uses various lossy compressed data formats.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just to be sure: Does this only work in full screen mode or also in windowed mode? And does the same apply to XP11?

Works in windowed mode as well.   Same for XP11.   They all work, either bordered, or full.

Hi Folks,

Man - I'm so conflicted...

or

My 20" 4:3 has to go...

Regards,

Scott

Here you have a good video for guidance...

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

or

Assuming you get a good quality TV, and if your PC can handle 4K, I can't see any reason to choose the 21:9!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I've been dreaming about upgrading my monitor as well. I've been using a Dell Ultrasharp 24" since 2007 and have been feeling the itch to upgrade. My current Dell has served me well and it's a miracle it still works given the amount of hours that thing has been running.

Will start to research into this for sure. What do you guys think, will my 980TI be sufficient for this? Don't know how my card stacks up against the competition these days. 

Your card will be perfectly fine, I was running mine for over a year with a 970 and it performed great.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the input - taking it all onboard - much appreciated...

:wink:

The one thing I found that if you're using a TV - is to make sure it's HDMI 2.0 as it has comparable speed to a Display Port...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Gawd...but do I LOVE this monitor!   The runway rushing by your side windows within the 737....Ultra Wide....what a rush! :)

Gawd...but do I LOVE this monitor!   The runway rushing by your side windows within the 737....Ultra Wide....what a rush! :)

Stop teasing. Show us some screenshots - or a video :) 

I getting more and more tempted to get this monitor, and maybe a 1080GTX to go with it. I take it that you don't do any AA at all using the high resolution?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Stop teasing. Show us some screenshots - or a video :) 

What can I show you?  Between a screen capture, or any kind of upload video, you truly won't see the apples-to-apples from this monitor, unless you only have it in front of your face.  Honestly.

What I can tell you...is that between my buying the EVGA GTX1070 FTW last month, and this Dell U3415W-4 (Revision), Simmerhead, these two purchases have got to be the BEST use of my hobby money, in the last 12 years!  

This monitor is just BEAUTIFUL to behold, as the 21:9 aspect totally fills your periperhal vision, when you glance dead ahead into the center of the scene.  I also found that it translates out to the W, in wide-screen...and as you take your roll, on through Rotation and liftoff...the scenery and runway screams by you....total immersion. Add a 5.1 surround sound system to envelope your seating position...and you are THERE, on,or in the Flight Deck!

Then...there is multi-media.  I watched again, Star War's Awakens....which was shot in full Theater 21:9...and oh my gawd...with the 5.1 surround system I use...I was at the theater!!!

So, is 21:9 worth upgrading to?   You BET YOUR LIFE it is!  Not only for flight simulation...for everything else beyond that.  YouTube kicks serious butt, with this aspect as well.

No pics, no vids...it wouldn't do the monitor justice...for you are NOT seeing the monitor output.  

BTW, for those that might want to Christmas themselves..lol...read the manual, understand and enjoy all aspects of the control parameters of this beaut...and I recommend (Paper) for your automatic settings, for any of your Web Browsers.  It looks like paper...and is so easy on the eyes. I also recommend Dynamic Contrast, under the display settings.  This is ten times better than that feature I had, with my just retired; Samsung 25 inch wide screen (16:9).  

The IPS panel...WOW and WOW.  You can be in front of it, view 45 degrees off 180 degrees, and there is no fade, no loss of color calibration.   Black, is inkly black when within a scene, and there is (with all IPS panels and wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwide panels, slight light bleed in the four corners, when no signal is upon the monitor..but is gone as soon as a signal is present.  Black, is inky black, as sent to the IPS panel, via a picture signal.

The Dell U3415W is feature packed, and you have TONS, of input options, including HDMI v2.0 which importantly will support 60Hz operation Less that HDMI v2.0, and that Hz, will not be supported.  You have USB SuperSpeed 3.0 features rich, You have a high speed, powerful charging port for your phone, on the left side of the body, you have standard, as well as standar-to-mini DP, 1.1a and 1.2  You have a dedicated port for attaching your phone or tablets. You have tons of pre-set split and cell view screen outlays, and a very nice quick Dell Display Manager app, that comes upon the driver disc.  That allows you to go to any form of display split screen, for video editing, watching a sports feed, music feed, main view area for your work project...WHATEVER...just as ton of features.  Finally, 3440x1440...is well....gorgeous.  Nothing more for this owner to add.

Do I love this monitor?  My wife, is starting to mumble under her breath....that I should perhaps give it a female name....man, women can sometimes get a little jealous!   :P  :hi:

I getting more and more tempted to get this monitor, and maybe a 1080GTX to go with it. I take it that you don't do any AA at all using the high resolution?

It depends on the sim actually...

I usually leave it off (we are talking ONLY about the Dell U3415W), not another monitor, or anything less than 3440x1440 QUHD...but in XP11, I have settled for most scenes upon the very low 2x setting.  I always had to use the 4x and 8x with my Samsung 25 inch (16:9) 1920x1200 native monitor.

On this one...nothing above 2x, and even then, mostly left off.  Hope this helps

Watch one movie...shot at 21:9  (most theater releases in fact, are), and the experience driven by the beautiful display qualities of the IPS panel technology....and you will be hooked for life!

Also, one more thing...this monitor can be set to 5ms for IPS panel refresh.  You have a choice of Normal  and Fast (5ms).  I set the montior to Fast (5ms)

Cheers,

'Happy As *ell' Mitch'er

I know a screenshot won't do it justice, but it would be nice to see a screenshot from the captain's seat at various zoom settings to get an idea of the angle of view. 

I'm debating if I'm going to get one 21:9 34" monitor or 3 x 16:9 27" monitors.