Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just finished setting up my new Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor

I could have ordered it.   Too much of a curve, brings the ends 'in'...and nothing else in features or res-pixel count, in upgrade.  Same software as well.  It basically is a more pronounced curve...

Does this more pronounced curve brings some artifacts to flight sim cockpit?

I have narrowed my wish list to DELL 15 or 17W and ACER Predator 34 which does cost more but comes with G-Sync support. I don't think the Dell has neither G-Sync nor V-Sync support, not sure what benefit that brings though.

Can you tell me the exact width occupancy of the Dell, I have read discordant numbers and my niche is just 85,5 cm

Hi D,

Here was a 5 Star review by someone on Amazon with both monitors...

I have U3415W and U3417W in a dual-monitor setup, so I'm just going to comment on the differences.

The two main differences are:

- Less backlight bleed on U3417W. Most noticeable in a dark room viewing dark content. U3415W is not the best choice for watching movies full-screen.
- Greater curve on U3417W. U3415W is slightly too flat for a monitor of this width. This matters mostly in a multi-monitor setup, where you might not always be sitting right in front of the monitor. As a single monitor, U3415W is fine.

Both differences make U3417W better. Not worth the current 50% price premium, but clearly better.

There are other, smaller differences:

- Thinner bezel on U3417W. Approximately 10mm on U3417W and 13mm on U3415W.
- U3417W has two USB ports on the side and two on the bottom. U3415W has one on the back and three on the bottom.

Needless to say, both monitors are great. No discernible difference in picture quality.

Hope it helps...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Does this more pronounced curve brings some artifacts to flight sim cockpit?

I have narrowed my wish list to DELL 15 or 17W and ACER Predator 34 which does cost more but comes with G-Sync support. I don't think the Dell has neither G-Sync nor V-Sync support, not sure what benefit that brings though.

Can you tell me the exact width occupancy of the Dell, I have read discordant numbers and my niche is just 85,5 cm

Not too sure about that...I just saw from above the curve..and said, nope...not for me...am going with the 3415W.   It's all personal taste of course. I find the display in front of me, just simply, perfect. There is just enough curve forward at the ends, to immerse you...but not cup your view.  The 3417W has no more technical added over the 3415W. It is just marketing, to those that want a more pronounced curve to their screen.  They also charge you a couple of hundred more  for the effort.

I just read Scott's comments on post about the Amazon review; 3417W, and I have to say, that I have no screen bleed, to very little (under some lighting conditions, but nothing to distract you, or cause visual discomfort on what is viewed and displayed) in the REV-4 U3415W.   I think they might have reworked the IPS screen, for the REV-4 edition.  I know that the Dell rep said that there were delays at the factory, waiting for new parts, and that contributed to my 5 week wait.

All in all, I am most very happy with this monitor...and frankly will only have a 21:9 from here-on-out.  It does everything...so well!

I'm not just a flight simmer...but a musician.  Being so, I love the immersion this brings me, when viewing concerts via YouTube, or Red Box.  With my other 16:9 25 inche widescreen, I did not feel like I was part of the audience.  With this side to side landscape, I now absolutely do!

The exact side to side measurement of the outer edges is this, across the top frame:  32 and 3/4 inches.

The Dell U3415W does not have G-Sync or the ATI offering.

Feeling like a kid the night before christmas here. My screen is on its way. I'll probably have to wait a couple of days after christmas but I thought it would take far longer before I got my paws on it. 

Will be nice to try out the simulators on this screen! :wub:

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Feeling like a kid the night before christmas here. My screen is on its way. I'll probably have to wait a couple of days after christmas but I thought it would take far longer before I got my paws on it. 

Will be nice to try out the simulators on this screen! :wub:

You're gonna love this monitor.  I have no regrets in buying it.  None.

You're gonna love this monitor.  I have no regrets in buying it.  None.

I actually got the beast today. Sadly I have no time to get in installed with christmas and all that..  :fool:

However just staring at the box makes me drool a little bit..  :dance:

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I actually got the beast today. Sadly I have no time to get in installed with christmas and all that..  :fool:

However just staring at the box makes me drool a little bit..  :dance:

It takes you only half an hour.   Don't pick up the monitor body by itself, from the lower cradle.   Unwrap the stand, click the stand into the back of the monitor, and (MAKE SURE IT CLICKS>>>TEST) and then lift the monitor body out by means of the area of the stand that attaches to the monitor body.  Try to keep finger and palm contact off of the monitor edges as much as possible.  Absolutely install all the software and driver's off of the disc you got.  Set up your pre-set preferences in the software mask (I use Paper for all reading-type applications.  Really easy and nice on the eyes.  Game for games, and Multimedia for YouTube and stuff of its ilk.  Suggestions...to get you going.   Good luck, and congratulations.  You have now, one h*ll of a great view!

Ses

I have bought a few weeks ago an LG 34UC88 34" , 21:9, 3440x1440 curved display....I am using it on my i7-2600k @ 4,8Ghz and EVGA GTX1080 system.....all I can say is I love it and I believe this has been one of the best "addons" to my sim since I started simming. I can only reinforce all the enthusiastic comments done on the previous posts about using an ultra wide monitor on FSX or P3D.

The only caveat is obviously you need to have a powerful hardware to get the most of it at that resolution..

Setting the sim zoom at 1.0 and Wideview=true the feeling of "being there" is unbelievable.. 

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Anyone can maybe confirm if this monitor can run at 30Hz?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Henry, I got mine for under $900 cdn about 6 months ago. That said at the price you still wouldn't go wrong. Excellent monitor.

Dave

I'm still up in the air over getting one of these or a 43" 4k Sony TV to use as a monitor.  I only fly tubes and business jets.

I'm still up in the air over getting one of these or a 43" 4k Sony TV to use as a monitor.  I only fly tubes and business jets.

Me too... :) I've gotten used to a 40" and now a 50" TV (standard HD) and size does matter, but the ultrawides give better sense of speed. The 4K has more realestate and you'll get more of the cockpit in view. But then again, image quality is usually better on a dedicated monitor, and it is more useful for other tasks...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I just got back from Sams Club.  Ended up going with a 50" Samsung 4k for $448.  Has Chroma 4:4:4 and all of that fun stuff.  I'll try and get it setup today.

I just got back from Sams Club.  Ended up going with a 50" Samsung 4k for $448.  Has Chroma 4:4:4 and all of that fun stuff.  I'll try and get it setup today.

Can't wait to hear how it works out! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!