Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

AI Controller 2.0 (Gate-to-Gate Control) Open Beta Prepar3D

I guess I did something wrong, even folloiwng the video.  My AI Monitor shows all the aircraft being controlled by FSX.    Reloading the scenario is NOT an option with a PMDG aircraft as your VAS will plummet by some 400 megs as it loads everything over again having to do with the PMDG without dumping the previous memory.   If that is a requirement to get it to pick up control of AI craft then I am a sad panda...

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I really want to love this program; but I just can't seem to get it to work correctly (I also tried the 1.xx versions a while back with no luck).  Tonight I parked myself at KJFK and fired up AI Controller (running in a networked configuration via WideFS).  The program was definitely running because all of the aircraft showed up on the AI Monitor and it was describing what aircraft were being manipulated.  Unfortunately, I experienced some pretty major issues... here's a sampling:

1 - Even though I had "forced" arrivals to use runway 4R, there were still some AI landing on 4L.  Murphy's law dictated that I almost always had a departure using that runway at the same time... so I witnessed a lot of airplanes flying through each other.

2 - Departures sometimes didn't get completely lined up on the centerline before throttling up, so they often "wandered" as they rolled down the runway.

3 - Separation rules were not applied on final... I had several arrivals within a mile of each other at touchdown with subsequent go-arounds.

4 - Taxiing aircraft often moved in fits and starts... like the pilot was slamming on the brakes and then throttling up repeatedly.  The engine sound of some aircraft reinforced this notion as it produced a surging effect.

Admittedly, I have not read the documentation thoroughly (I did watch the video and skimmed the readme), so maybe I've missed something.  I actually really hope that is the case because I know Roland has put a lot of work into the program and the benefits of using it would be enormous.  I did not enable any STARS for the first session; so I'll try to set those up tomorrow and see if they make a difference.

You, sir, deserve as many beers as you wish. Please do let me know if you're ever down in Dubai and I'd happily pick up every round! Thanks!

Can't get it to work with EDDF (Aerosoft V2). AI aircraft (MTX) were not able to take off. Instead they were circling around the RW Hold/Start position. I did not activate any SID/STARS - only very basic settings. Without the controller, AI works fine (within the current limits). Anyway, I will further try to achieve a working procedures for me, maybe at another airport.

I appreciate the developers effort for bringing such an advanced and important tool to us. Thank you.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Nice, version 2 is here, many thanks roland!!

One thing I still don't like is the long boot process, especially the "failed to build enhanced approach data" warnings are taking 10-15 minutes on EACH start.

Is there a way to skip those warnings or is it an important step?

(example: https://abload.de/img/aic1ezs5d.png )

Regards, Sebastian

Just one question.  So if I convert the SIDSSTARS from my PMDG files for KDCA, does this conflict with the KDCA folder already in the AI Controller file?   I assume I'd want the PMDG converted files since I update them regularly thru Navigraph.  I guess the same question for the rest of the metro areas.

Yes, go with the newer files.  You can just delete all the files in the KDCA folder and replace them (or delete the KDCA folder with the old files and move the KDCA folder with the new files).

I guess I did something wrong, even folloiwng the video.  My AI Monitor shows all the aircraft being controlled by FSX.    Reloading the scenario is NOT an option with a PMDG aircraft as your VAS will plummet by some 400 megs as it loads everything over again having to do with the PMDG without dumping the previous memory.   If that is a requirement to get it to pick up control of AI craft then I am a sad panda...

No, I think you probably followed the video instruction about adding additional SIDs and STARS using the SIDSTAR converter using geographic regions, which creates different subdirectories.  Unfortunately AIController doesn't read subdirectories generated by the converter.  I'll update the program to do this.  In the meantime you can add each subdirectory individually or put all your converted files into one directory to make it easier to add to AIController.

No, I think you probably followed the video instruction about adding additional SIDs and STARS using the SIDSTAR converter using geographic regions, which creates different subdirectories.  Unfortunately AIController doesn't read subdirectories generated by the converter.  I'll update the program to do this.  In the meantime you can add each subdirectory individually or put all your converted files into one directory to make it easier to add to AIController.

That's a bit confusing in light of the video's instructions on using the SIDSTAR converter. What is the optimal structure for the SIDSTARS directory, and is it possible to post a screenshot of that, please? Thanks for the great work.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

1 - Even though I had "forced" arrivals to use runway 4R, there were still some AI landing on 4L.  Murphy's law dictated that I almost always had a departure using that runway at the same time... so I witnessed a lot of airplanes flying through each other.

2 - Departures sometimes didn't get completely lined up on the centerline before throttling up, so they often "wandered" as they rolled down the runway.

3 - Separation rules were not applied on final... I had several arrivals within a mile of each other at touchdown with subsequent go-arounds.

4 - Taxiing aircraft often moved in fits and starts... like the pilot was slamming on the brakes and then throttling up repeatedly.  The engine sound of some aircraft reinforced this notion as it produced a surging effect.

Re: 1.  It won't reassign AI on short final below a set altitude is that what you were seeing?  I'll look into it.

Re: 2 and 4.  Yep, they also occasionally put a wheel off the taxiway too.  Something I'm working on...please bear in mind that my program actually taxis the AI using engine power, brakes and the steering tiller.  It doesn't slew the AI on the ground like FSX/P3D so it will never look as (too) silky smooth as that.  Also, make sure you load the situation after AIC has started.  If you see the AI wheels lock up constantly under braking this means you started AIC after the situation, which causes more stop-and-go taxiing.

Re: 3.  Yes if you're not using STAR that makes it tougher to obtain separation because on finals the AI is often in a landing config., which means I can't really vary speed that much.  The starting point for this program is the AI is actually being flown.  STARs providing more distance with higher speeds to safely vary speed (and holding points).  You mentioned goarounds.  That is one method AIC does have to safely enforce minimum separation on final, but AIC tries to limit last-second go-arounds unlike FSX/P3D.

Reloading the scenario is NOT an option with a PMDG aircraft as your VAS will plummet by some 400 megs as it loads everything over again having to do with the PMDG without dumping the previous memory.   If that is a requirement to get it to pick up control of AI craft then I am a sad panda..

No, you don't have to reload.  Several other options.  For example, load AIController first and when it says it "can't connect to the sim" load up the sim and your situation and AIController will connect.  Alternatively, you can load the sim, but stay at a planning screen, then when AIController says "paused" load up the situation.  Alternatively, you can load up the sim and situation and pause the sim immediately, when AIController says "paused" and your ready to start unpause the sim. 

Nice, version 2 is here, many thanks roland!!

One thing I still don't like is the long boot process, especially the "failed to build enhanced approach data" warnings are taking 10-15 minutes on EACH start.

Is there a way to skip those warnings or is it an important step?

(example: https://abload.de/img/aic1ezs5d.png )

Okay, will look into this.

That's a bit confusing in light of the video's instructions on using the SIDSTAR converter. What is the optimal structure for the SIDSTARS directory, and is it possible to post a screenshot of that, please? Thanks for the great work.

I'll try to have a patch out soon where adding directories in AIController is consistent with the video (this was my mistake not a problem with Matthew's SIDSTAR converter).  As a workaround, unclick the geographic region box and I think it puts all the converted files into one directory, which makes it easier to add (in the unpatched version).  Just from reading this thread I know people have already added a lot of converted files to the program, if they have a preferred method for doing it quickly please chime in!

Hi All,

I have just installed AI Controller Ver 2.0 but get the message AI Controller Ver. 2.0. has stopped working. I believe everything has been installed correctly including the config paths. AI Monitor starts ok and I have P3D Mode set, I have all settings set to default. However when I run the AI Controller it will stop after connecting to the simulator and shows the following message in the dialog window:

EXCEPTION = 9 SendID = 107 Index = 1cbData = 24

Version 1.4B worked fine.

thanks in advance

IM

Unfortunately AIController doesn't read subdirectories generated by the converter.  I'll update the program to do this.  In the meantime you can add each subdirectory individually or put all your converted files into one directory to make it easier to add to AIController.

So using the SIDSTARS converter and applying those subdirectories to AIController is meaningless?  Guess i'm confused.  I thought AIController will then use those for SIDS and STARS.  Maybe thats why nothing is showing up under pattern and says FSX is controlling them.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Thank you very much roland for this new version.

I performed a test on LTBA (taxi2gate). The wind of 350 ° for 8 knots. In real conditions (with Active Sky 2016), runway 35L is used for take-off, runway 05 for landing. With scenery editor (ADE), all of my runways are allowed (take-off and landing).

I force runway 05 for landings and 35L for take-off with the program. But all AI aircraft land and take-off on runway 35R.

The program is executed in administrator mode, options to default. SID/STAR are converted and active for LT** zone (LTBA...)

I have the same result in generic approaches.

1) Is what the wind speed can cancel the command to force ?

2) can the simulation speed (example x4) cause errors ?

3) Is it possible to force a runway with a tailwind of 12 kt for example?

I do tests (plane parked on gate) in view mode "top-down".

Why does not it work?
Thank you for your support.

Is there a specific way for this program to limit the number of aircraft being loaded into the user reality bubble? You made reference in an earlier post to a density control but I don't see anything in the readme that explains this? Like the idea of the program but since TrafficOptimizer doesn't seem to be working for me in P3D 3.4 anymore that's primarily the function I'm looking for.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Is there a specific way for this program to limit the number of aircraft being loaded into the user reality bubble? You made reference in an earlier post to a density control but I don't see anything in the readme that explains this? Like the idea of the program but since TrafficOptimizer doesn't seem to be working for me in P3D 3.4 anymore that's primarily the function I'm looking for.

Weird, bc TO works ok for me in P3Dv3.4 in a networked config.

Cheers,

Dirk.

Hi Roland,

What an amazing job you are doing. Thank you

The only issue I'm having is the taxiing side of things. My AI aircraft are stop starting every few seconds even though there may not be another aircraft around to stop for. As a result it takes a really long time for the AI to reach the runway for takeoff.

Is there a way you could have an option to disable ground taxiing control for those who dislike this feature, and take control during the take off roll since your new, flying not slewing is so good. (truly amazing)

I'm still fiddling with the taxi settings to try and fix my issue with the AI pilots that have heavy feet on the brake pedals along with very high acceleration thrust lever position.

Also the taxiing in aircraft after landing never quite make it on to the gate and seem to pull up a 100ft short.

IM