Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

AI Controller 2.0 (Gate-to-Gate Control) Open Beta Prepar3D

Since this seems to be the thread for feedback (and P3D):

I tested AI Controller 2 for an hour and then I left alone at EDDF and I was very happy to see that for the first time in FS History AI taxied and took off from runway 18 (when assigned)!

Here are the things I noticed (P3D v3.3):

• The aircraft don't always push back "in an orderly fashion", sometimes the don't turn onto the taxiway and do the FSX pushback, sometimes they push back further away from the taxiway centreline, which can look odd when it happens in a narrow space.
  • When taxiing the AI accelerates, then it slows down harshly, stops, and then accelerates again. When there is a turn, it slows down and takes it with 2 kts and then accelerates again. I tried to reduce the acceleration scalar, which helped a bit, but the turns are extremely slow and the complete stops are frequent.
  • Anti collision between AI does not seem to work. They taxi into each other all the time. Ideal would be if they gave way to other AI by stopping before intersections (but I don't know if that is implemented).
  • I changed the AFCAD to honour taxiway directions and tested the function in AI Controller 2, but it did not seem to work (maybe that has to do with the taxi_graph file not being populated, I will check that today).
  • On their way to the runway 2 out of 5 aircraft end up taxiing on the grass, i.e. not following the taxiway centreline, taking short cuts and then make lots of turns to come back.
  • Take off and SID seems to be fine.
  • Approaches and Landings: 2 out of 5 approaches are erratic and end up somewhere in the vicinity of the airport. After landing the aircraft slow down almost to a complete stop and then seem to look for the exit. Maybe I will have to fiddle with the according parameter.
  • Gate assignments doe not seem to work properly, almost all landing AI aircraft are sent to the same (remote) area, regardless of airline and gate assignments.

Apart from that, I see this version as a big improvement and as I said before, for me, it's a milestone in FS to be able to use runway 18 in Frankfurt.

Cheers

After a short trial run with UT2, some issues I noticed:

1. Frame rate dropped from 30 to 20, didn't go back up on exiting aicontroller

2. AI control movements in air is twitchy

3. Taxiing aircraft coming to halt on turns then rotating while stationary

4. Not using middle runway for landing

5. Landing on both runway 9 and 27 simultaneously in calm winds, 360 at 1 in sim

6. Aircraft coming to halt on runway after landing

7. Some AI did a go-around on vacant runway

Other than that great attempt at trying to externally control AI. I would like further options to set criteria for distribution of landing traffic among runways such as parking code/type, aircraft type etc. I don't think it would be problem since this information should be available through sim connect. Maybe have custom runway usage modes based on winds stored in their airport folder. Also as stated above would like to let p3d control ground traffic, but actual taxiing ai is awesome if you could stabilize the engines and better the turns.

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback and suggestions...I'll respond to everyone individually soon.

Right now I'm working on three fixes for the first update:  1) ability to recurse through subdirectories when adding SID-STARS so that installation is consistent with the video (and not to mention a much easier process, especially when using the SIDSTAR converter program); 2) excessive engine oscillation especially during taxi, takeoff, and final (more of a cosmetic than control issue), and 3) problem with program loosing control of AI that flies between monitored airports within the same reality bubble (I think I'm the only person who noticed this, but I definitely want to fix it so that you can "follow" an AI through an entire flight gate-to-gate).

I will also investigate reports of the force runway update feature not working 100%.  If I can replicate the problem, I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

I will eventually get to the other issues reported, but perhaps not in the first revision (I really want to get the subdirectory support out quickly).

-Roland

• Upvote 2

hi roland

i want to know, traffic take off face to face, your program check the metar direct in the simulator, is that? because when you start AIC before loading the situation in the sim, what information about metar is receive?

plus some planes go very very fast on taxiway sow that at paris and dubai and to finish aic crash with ntdll.dll error on network mode, but function great when it run on p3D computer

Thanks

Frédéric Giraud

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback and suggestions...I'll respond to everyone individually soon.

Right now I'm working on three fixes for the first update:  1) ability to recurse through subdirectories when adding SID-STARS so that installation is consistent with the video (and not to mention a much easier process, especially when using the SIDSTAR converter program); 2) excessive engine oscillation especially during taxi, takeoff, and final (more of a cosmetic than control issue), and 3) problem with program loosing control of AI that flies between monitored airports within the same reality bubble (I think I'm the only person who noticed this, but I definitely want to fix it so that you can "follow" an AI through an entire flight gate-to-gate).

I will also investigate reports of the force runway update feature not working 100%.  If I can replicate the problem, I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

I will eventually get to the other issues reported, but perhaps not in the first revision (I really want to get the subdirectory support out quickly).

-Roland

Thanks, Roland, for your continuous efforts on your wonderful program. It is much needed and I can't wait for the fixes.

Dirk.

I cant seem to get this program working I downloaded and followed your instruction but everytime i add the paths it give me a scenery.cfg error message and then when i close the program ai monitor no longer displays task manager says its running but the program is invisible

Hi icenan2,

How did you get rid of the error:  exception=9 etc.
I have the same problem.

warren

Don't know what I did but it started working.  One problem I had was failure to read scenery cfg paths. Seeing no difference tin the paths as displayed in aicontrollerpath.txt, I copied the old file fro 1,4B into 2.0.  No more errors.

Warren

Here's the links to the latest update:

Normally I would include a .zip file with only the changed files, but this hotfix affects a lot of files.  I strongly recommend uninstalling the initial version and installing the new version.  Sorry...but these things happen in an open beta!

Fixed:  Included STAR samples didn't include "close-in" variations.  For those new to the program, the "close-in" version of a STAR takes into account that the entry point of many STARs is outside the FSX/P3D reality bubble.  The close-in variation allows the AI to join the STAR within the reality bubble to avoid being vectored outside the bubble, which results in the AI being deleted.  For those who noticed the approach traffic was light at supposedly busy airports...this was probably the culprit.

Fixed:  Wrong version of SIDSTAR converter and AIConve.exe utility.  If you converted any SID, STAR or Approach files using the old versions, I would recommend reconverting using the latest version.  Remember to remove the old version of the SIDSTAR Converter and install the latest ver 1.3 included in the hot fix.  Sorry, a pain, but beta!

Fixed:  Now something that makes things much easier!  AIController now recurses through subdirectories when specifying a SID, STAR, approach directory.  Thus, adding converted files is a lot easier (i.e., adding additional SID,STAR and approach files is now consistent with the "Installation and Basic Usage" video describing the addition of converted Mexican SID, STAR and Approach files).

Fixed:  Better control of AI when departing and arriving in the same reality bubble (e.g., a short hop from KORD to KMDW).

Fixed:  Less engine thrust variation during taxi and takeoff (e.g., idle to high thrust back to idle).

Fixed:  Sometimes AI wasn't getting assigned final approaches in a timely fashion (this might have been the cause of some "force arrival/landing runway" issues some users reported, but still evaluating that issue).

Fixed:  AI circling around jetroute waypoints.

Fixed:  "AI Jet Route Only" option fixed.

Fixed:  Tear-drop procedure when AI approaching final approach fix at obtuse angle.

Fixed:  Some stability issues (AIController crashing).

Fixed:  Other minor items.

If you reported a bug or suggestion and it is not included here, I probably just haven't got to it yet.  Please feel free to raise the same issue if you feel something is falling through the cracks.  The next update will focus on taxi smoothness.

-Roland

• Upvote 1

Here's the links to the latest update:

Normally I would include a .zip file with only the changed files, but this hotfix affects a lot of files.  I strongly recommend uninstalling the initial version and installing the new version.  Sorry...but these things happen in an open beta!

-Roland

Hi Roland,

thank you very much for the further development of this great software.

I am still on 1.4 and despite loving the software I finally stopped using it because I noticed that I had lost all ATC to AI communication provided by PF3 for the AI aircraft under control of AI Controller.

Does this problem still persist with the new version?

Thanks,

Ralf

I have a question about the file AI_cfg_data.txt. I assume that this is generated by AI Controller/AI Monitor but how exactly is it used? The reason that I am asking is that it contains an enormous number of entries for the default aircraft, avatars, ground vehicles and AI boats, but at least in my case, it missed all the MyTraffic  6 AI aircraft that I use in P3d even though those are referenced in SimObjects.cfg. The search seems to be limited to the main sim folder and subfolders. I'm not sure what happens if both P3d and FSX are installed.

afaik it is used for calculating parking positions, also some of the performance data are used.

which paths do you use for your AI-planes ?

I have just installed AI Controller Ver 2.0 but get the message AI Controller Ver. 2.0. has stopped working. I believe everything has been installed correctly including the config paths. AI Monitor starts ok and I have P3D Mode set, I have all settings set to default. However when I run the AI Controller it will stop after connecting to the simulator and shows the following message in the dialog window:

EXCEPTION = 9 SendID = 107 Index = 1cbData = 24

Iceman...are you still having this issue?  Sounds like something with P3D simconnect isn't setup right on your computer.

So using the SIDSTARS converter and applying those subdirectories to AIController is meaningless?  Guess i'm confused.  I thought AIController will then use those for SIDS and STARS.  Maybe thats why nothing is showing up under pattern and says FSX is controlling them.  

After the update using the SIDSTAR converter to add files should be just like the video linked at the beginning of this thread (be sure to uninstall old SIDSTAR Converter 1.1 and install new 1.3).

I performed a test on LTBA (taxi2gate). The wind of 350 ° for 8 knots. In real conditions (with Active Sky 2016), runway 35L is used for take-off, runway 05 for landing. With scenery editor (ADE), all of my runways are allowed (take-off and landing).

I force runway 05 for landings and 35L for take-off with the program. But all AI aircraft land and take-off on runway 35R.

The program is executed in administrator mode, options to default. SID/STAR are converted and active for LT** zone (LTBA...)

I have the same result in generic approaches.

1) Is what the wind speed can cancel the command to force ?

2) can the simulation speed (example x4) cause errors ?

3) Is it possible to force a runway with a tailwind of 12 kt for example?

Hopefully force runways works better in the update.  What I think is some of those AI that landed on 35R weren't actually under control of AIC.  For departures, force landing will only apply to those AI that haven't pushed back yet in order to avoid taxi chaos.

You should be able to go to x2.  X4 might be pushing it.

The force runway is manual only (set by user on-the-fly) and not based on wind data.

Is there a specific way for this program to limit the number of aircraft being loaded into the user reality bubble? You made reference in an earlier post to a density control but I don't see anything in the readme that explains this? Like the idea of the program but since TrafficOptimizer doesn't seem to be working for me in P3D 3.4 anymore that's primarily the function I'm looking for.

Yes, in "AI Custom Traffic Density":  Cull Method = 4 and Cull Mode = 3 (although someone recently reported all the density modes might not be working correctly - I'm looking into it)

The only issue I'm having is the taxiing side of things. My AI aircraft are stop starting every few seconds even though there may not be another aircraft around to stop for. As a result it takes a really long time for the AI to reach the runway for takeoff.

Is there a way you could have an option to disable ground taxiing control for those who dislike this feature, and take control during the take off roll since your new, flying not slewing is so good. (truly amazing)

I'm still fiddling with the taxi settings to try and fix my issue with the AI pilots that have heavy feet on the brake pedals along with very high acceleration thrust lever position.

I'll focus on taxi smoothness for the next update.  Thanks for fiddling around with the taxi settings...let me know if you find something that seems to work well.  Also don't forget the "Flight Dynamics" options, which also affect taxi performance (e.g., thrust  gain and control lag).

which paths do you use for your AI-planes ?

I use the default folder structure for My Traffic 6 on drive G:, the same drive as the P3d main folder. The exact path (which works fine in P3d):

G:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft

1. Frame rate dropped from 30 to 20, didn't go back up on exiting aicontroller
2. AI control movements in air is twitchy
3. Taxiing aircraft coming to halt on turns then rotating while stationary
4. Not using middle runway for landing
5. Landing on both runway 9 and 27 simultaneously in calm winds, 360 at 1 in sim
6. Aircraft coming to halt on runway after landing
7. Some AI did a go-around on vacant runway

Haven't noticed any significant frame drops, has anyone experienced this?  AI movements in the air are a bit twitchy (less so when in final landing config - gear down flaps full) (more so during cruise).  I think tweaking the flight dynamics options will help and over-all AI movements will get better out-of-the-box as the beta progresses.

Roger on the other items too, others have mentioned similar issues, especially regarding taxi and coming to a halt after runway landing.  

i want to know, traffic take off face to face, your program check the metar direct in the simulator, is that? because when you start AIC before loading the situation in the sim, what information about metar is receive?
plus some planes go very very fast on taxiway sow that at paris and dubai and to finish aic crash with ntdll.dll error on network mode, but function great when it run on p3D computer

If you don't override runways with the force runways setting, departing AI are assigned according to FSX/P3D assignments.  Arriving AI will wait a set amount of time to receive weather info. about the airport, then get assigned a STAR (or final is no STARs are being used) for a runway best matching wind conditions with load balancing.    Regarding the planes taxiing really fast, seems like that was probably due to AIC crashing on the client computer.  Were you able to run ver 1.4 on the client computer okay?

Don't know what I did but it started working.  One problem I had was failure to read scenery cfg paths. Seeing no difference tin the paths as displayed in aicontrollerpath.txt, I copied the old file fro 1,4B into 2.0.  No more errors.

Did you have the verbose and/or debug mode options enabled?  AIC should only display those types of errors in those two trouble-shooting modes.  

I have a question about the file AI_cfg_data.txt. I assume that this is generated by AI Controller/AI Monitor but how exactly is it used? The reason that I am asking is that it contains an enormous number of entries for the default aircraft, avatars, ground vehicles and AI boats, but at least in my case, it missed all the MyTraffic  6 AI aircraft that I use in P3d even though those are referenced in SimObjects.cfg. The search seems to be limited to the main sim folder and subfolders. I'm not sure what happens if both P3d and FSX are installed.

I used it more in ver 1.4, but now I read most AI data through simconnect.  However, I still need it for parking info. unfortunately.

Regarding MyTraffic 6, did you go into "Program Config Paths/Advance Path Options" and enter a path for "Additional FSX (or P3D) AI Aircraft Path (for AI Files Outside SimObjects Path)"?  I had to do that for MyTraffic to get it to work.