Sign in to follow this  
noahweber

Help needed: Super sluggish performance with XP11 demo

Hello, All.

Been a longtime FSX/P3D guy but was eager to try out the demo of the new 64-bit platform. I have a rig that is powerful enough to smoothly run P3D with high settings and a lot of intensive add-ons so I expected to see really good performance in XP11. Unfortunately, even though the sim is telling me I'm getting high 20's-low 30's FPS, I am getting unflyable amounts of stutters. Even when adjusting the graphics settings I cannot get the sim to feel "smooth" at ALL. Any ideas what might be going on? I am wondering if there might be some tweaks I need to apply to nVidia Profile Inspector but I don't know which ones. Frames are not being capped and V-Sync is OFF.

Also, is it possible to undock parts of the panel in XP11 like the PFD/ND/EICAS/etc. I use a multi-monitor setup so being able to drag those instruments onto my second screen is a big deal for me. 

Thanks for any ideas you all might have.

-Noah

It's a beta - a lot of people are reporting fps issues.  You can try going to nvida control panel and find Texture optimization (you can make an xplane.exe profile) and make sure it is OFF.

Also fly in clear weather - in XP10 there was a cloud density slider - they don't have one right now...  when I fly in clouds fps drop to the low teens.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You can try going to nvida control panel and find Texture optimization (you can make an xplane.exe profile) and make sure it is OFF.

Wasn't it "threaded optimization"?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It's a beta - a lot of people are reporting fps issues.  You can try going to nvida control panel and find Texture optimization (you can make an xplane.exe profile) and make sure it is OFF.

Also fly in clear weather - in XP10 there was a cloud density slider - they don't have one right now...  when I fly in clouds fps drop to the low teens.

Thank you for this feedback. I understand it's a beta but this felt like excessively poor performance given my system. I'll look for this setting in the nVidia control panel.

Wasn't it "threaded optimization"?

I'll look for this setting too! Thanks!

-Noah

Thank you for this feedback. I understand it's a beta but this felt like excessively poor performance given my system. I'll look for this setting in the nVidia control panel.

There are a couple of X-Plane rendering settings that you should keep low even if you have a powerful PC, because they have a big effect on performance:

.) "Reflection Detail" to Minimal

.) "Draw shadows on scenery" should be off

.) "Antialiasing" should not be too high at the far right.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

There are a couple of X-Plane rendering settings that you should keep low even if you have a powerful PC, because they have a big effect on performance:

I'll try this too. Thank you as well.

Agreed with the impact they have but you CAN keep those options on... ;) I myself wouldn't want to fly without shadows all over the place. I gladly take the performance hit and rather lower something else if performance drops too much. I also have reflections at medium and use 4xSSAA and in a lot of situations things are pretty smooth nonetheless (>2 year old system: 4790k@4.5, 6GB GTX780 and 16 GB RAM on Windows 10). And that is with world detail at MAX! Just wanted to make clear 'should be off' is debatable. ;)

Agreed with the impact they have but you CAN keep those options on... ;) I myself wouldn't want to fly without shadows all over the place. I gladly take the performance hit and rather lower something else if performance drops too much. I have reflections at medium and use 4xSSAA and in a lot of situations things are pretty smooth nonetheless (>2 year old system: 4790k@4.5, 6GB GTX780 and 16 GB RAM on Windows 10). And that is with world detail at MAX! Just wanted to make clear 'should be off' is debatable. ;)

Fair enough. I'll experiment with these settings and see if it makes a difference in my situation. Right now I feel like there is something fundamentally "off" about how XP11 is running because no matter what settings I've tried so far I get really bad stutters. It reminds me of a time when my P3D starting doing the same thing and it turned out to be a problem with the settings for my second monitor. It basically cut the frames in half on BOTH monitors whenever I moved anything to the second screen. I tried running XP11 with the second monitor disabled but it didn't make a difference. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks again, everybody, for the suggestions.

Yeah threaded optimization- sorry for the confusion - should help with stutters

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Fair enough. I'll experiment with these settings and see if it makes a difference in my situation. Right now I feel like there is something fundamentally "off" about how XP11 is running because no matter what settings I've tried so far I get really bad stutters. It reminds me of a time when my P3D starting doing the same thing and it turned out to be a problem with the settings for my second monitor. It basically cut the frames in half on BOTH monitors whenever I moved anything to the second screen. I tried running XP11 with the second monitor disabled but it didn't make a difference. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks again, everybody, for the suggestions.

Since this is the first Beta, if you still have low performance even with many rendering options set to low, you could also try to report that as a bug:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Yeah threaded optimization- sorry for the confusion - should help with stutters

This appears to have solved my problem! Threading Optimization to OFF and the sim is running really smooth now. XP11 definitely LOOKS amazing! I just wish it were easier to undock panels without having to get a second computer on a network to run multiple views...

Since this is the first Beta, if you still have low performance even with many rendering options set to low, you could also try to report that as a bug:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Thank you for this suggestion. It looks like I won't need to report it as a bug but I hope the devs know to recommend this tweak to people who are having the same problem.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

-Noah

I'm having bad performance of XP11 on my PC too. Where to turn the "Thread Optimization" off? Thanks!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I'm having bad performance of XP11 on my PC too. Where to turn the "Thread Optimization" off? Thanks!

nVidia control panel - 3D settings - select the X-plane profile - turn off threaded opt and save.

"Reflection Detail" to Minimal

If you have this to the minimum, you won't get updated real-time reflections. The reflection texture will be created just one time, when the aircraft is loaded, and then stay the same all the time. The effect of that: Even after 2 hours of flight, you can still see taxi marking or building reflections on your fuselage which were created when you loaded the aircraft at the airport. Consequence: Set reflection detail at least one notch above the minimum.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

nVidia control panel - 3D settings - select the X-plane profile - turn off threaded opt and save.

Thanks a lot! Will give it a try soon.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11