Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

X-Enviro is OUT

Not trying to be negative, but XP 11 has just been released and already a $70 addon to replace the default environment? So XP 11 "out of the box" is not adequate? Hmmmm, I'm I missing something here? :Thinking:

No sim platform is complete out of the box, never will be. Same with FSX and P3D, who isn't paying hundreds of dollars worth of terrain? or $50-60 worth of weather addons? hundreds of dollars worth of payware planes? And technically, this was developed under / for X-Plane 10. Not X-Plane 11 specifically. 

• Upvote 6

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

LOWI Metar from web METAR: LOWI 030920Z 25006KT 9999 FEW030 M02/M04 Q1022 NOSIG

No problem here because the sector altitudes of airfields near mountainous terrain are usually higher, and in this particular METAR the highest listed cloud layer starts at 3000'... relatively low...

LOWIs MSA is 13000', if I'm not wrong....

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No sim platform is complete out of the box, never will be. Same with FSX and P3D, who isn't paying hundreds of dollars worth of terrain? or $50-60 worth of weather addons? hundreds of dollars worth of payware planes? And technically, this was developed under / for X-Plane 10. Not X-Plane 11 specifically. 

I agree and am not playing down X-Plane (will probably purchase it sometime). What I'm trying to say is why are we modifying a product that is technically still beta with addons meant for X-Plane 10? if we have graphical, environmental issues with the beta version of X-Plane 11, can't this be put to the devs to make a more "polished" product out of the box and not modify it prematurely?

• Upvote 4

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

And these guys are even doing it JUST FOR ME !!!!!

I really love Russian developers, in all areas of software I use, and in the flight simulation one providing those two reference platforms that DCS and 1C/777 IL2 are!

See this, fom a thread at the .ORG:

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Not trying to be negative, but XP 11 has just been released ($60) and already a $70 addon to replace the default environment? So XP 11 "out of the box" is not adequate? Hmmmm, I'm I missing something here? :Thinking:

We have yet to see the full, intended capabilities of XP11 "out of the box" and while I am always keeping an open mind to 3rd party devs efforts, I will wait to purchase any weather add-ons until XP11 is at an RTM stage.  HOWEVER, I did buy in to SMP a while ago, and it seemed to work ok.  If the plan is to update it for XP11, then great and I'll wait.

The first thing I thought about XEnviro was ambitious and anxious.  Their release of it now, knowing people are looking at XP11, should hopefully yield updates in the near future so look at it as a developer who is wanting to stay in pace with the sim and not necessarily waiting for an official release and then having to play catch-up.  "Out of the box" for XEnviro looks good, just as XP11 looks good, but under the hood, both still need work.  No offense, but I'd be happy with LR fixing the under the hood issues first and then moving on to the eye candy.  Sure the black clouds of default XP11 are horrible, but that could be the result of non optimized textures or an incomplete weather feature.  Regardless, I'm still waiting patiently.

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I agree and am not playing down X-Plane (will probably purchase it sometime). What I'm trying to say is why are we modifying a product that is technically still beta with addons meant for X-Plane 10? if we have graphical, environmental issues with the beta version of X-Plane 11, can't this be put to the devs to make a more "polished" product out of the box and not modify it prematurely?

Because the problems with the weather are a well-known quantity within the X-Plane community, something Mr. Meyer has also addressed, but won't be giving a proper overhaul until further down the line -- It's a time consuming process, especially to get right within his stated vision. Thus we are "stuck" with a mildly polished version of what we see in X-Plane 10. Regardless, it still falls far short of basic needs and requirements for weather in a simulator, thus people obviously want an improved version. And xEnviro has been tested and is compatible with both X-Plane 10 and 11. 

The X-Plane's core weather problems are not something you just polish or fix during a beta, far from it. So we still have to rely on third party.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Cool shots quick question - when I turn on xEnviro I am loosing my shadows - what video driver version are you using ? thank you

driver version 368.39

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Only current weather, that is a big bummer... That means I would be flying with winter weather in Norway while the scenery looks like it's summer all year. I love what I am reading and seeing (like how colors and things automatically change depending on the weather... that's a BIG plus over FSX/P3D where everything has to be done with textures!) but no historic or manual weather... if the addon would have costed <30 bucks I probably would have bought it but XP11 cost me less than this addon and it's still beta... who knows what else is going to change in the beta... (btw any change in the beta might cause X-Enviro to stop working for at least a while). And I am not even sure if I will stick with XP11 in the future. Stupid thing is that owning this addon might help me stick with XP LOL but I don't want to buy it before I know I will stick with it...!

Is there a noticable difference in performance with X-Enviro? Default clouds hurt performance: does X-Enviro do a better job?

Man, what a shame this one cost so much... and that it's only current weather. Show stopper for me.

Only current weather, that is a big bummer... That means I would be flying with winter weather in Norway while the scenery looks like it's summer all year. I love what I am reading and seeing (like how colors and things automatically change depending on the weather... that's a BIG plus over FSX/P3D where everything has to be done with textures!) but no historic or manual weather... if the addon would have costed <30 bucks I probably would have bought it but XP11 cost me less than this addon and it's still beta... who knows what else is going to change in the beta... (btw any change in the beta might cause X-Enviro to stop working for at least a while). And I am not even sure if I will stick with XP11 in the future. Stupid thing is that owning this addon might help me stick with XP LOL but I don't want to buy it before I know I will stick with it...!

Is there a noticable difference in performance with X-Enviro? Default clouds hurt performance: does X-Enviro do a better job?

Man, what a shame this one cost so much... and that it's only current weather. Show stopper for me.

They have already said they are working on a historic feature, among other goodies :)

I do not have it yet, but here's the add-ons I have for XP 10:

SMP v3 @ $40

RWC @ $15

FSGRW @ $40

Total cost $95 and XP10 weather depiction is still not even close to AS16.

It looks like xEnviro is a much better value based on the features it offers.

Update: I forgot to mention SoundMaxx. I bought it to improve the sounds and XP 10 still sounds like crap.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Because the problems with the weather are a well-known quantity within the X-Plane community, something Mr. Meyer has also addressed, but won't be giving a proper overhaul until further down the line -- It's a time consuming process, especially to get right within his stated vision. Thus we are "stuck" with a mildly polished version of what we see in X-Plane 10. Regardless, it still falls far short of basic needs and requirements for weather in a simulator, thus people obviously want an improved version. And xEnviro has been tested and is compatible with both X-Plane 10 and 11. 

The X-Plane's core weather problems are not something you just polish or fix during a beta, far from it. So we still have to rely on third party.

Ok, understood. But would modifying core XP files at this stage not be detrimental to future beta updates?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Ok, understood. But would modifying core XP files at this stage not be detrimental to future beta updates?

It's not overriding or permanently modifying anything. It's a self-contained plugin :)

Not trying to be negative, but XP 11 has just been released ($60) and already a $70 addon to replace the default environment? So XP 11 "out of the box" is not adequate? Hmmmm, I'm I missing something here? :Thinking:

Yes you are missing something.

XEnviro is currently targeted to XP10 - which will be the stable finished version of X-Plane for some time. XP 10.51 is the finished and currently complete version of XP. 

XP 11 has a long way to go yet ... it hasn't even got to it's first stable iteratino yet.

Update: I forgot to mention SoundMaxx. I bought it to improve the sounds and XP 100 still sounds like crap.

Really?! That's very discouraging to know that XP 100 still sounds like crap! :P 

Btw, what year did you have to time travel to get that information lol

Guest Mik75

That looks so good! I'll get it as soon as I am back home. Which will be at tuesday. :-(

Yes you are missing something.

XEnviro is currently targeted to XP10 - which will be the stable finished version of X-Plane for some time. XP 10.51 is the finished and currently complete version of XP. 

XP 11 has a long way to go yet ... it hasn't even got to it's first stable iteratino yet.

Really?! That's very discouraging to know that XP 100 still sounds like crap! :P

Btw, what year did you have to time travel to get that information lol

My keyboard sucks too. :smile:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.