Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Parking brake question

Suppose I am on a tax way and going to a the rwy requires various stops.

I noticed that every time after releasing the parking brake the aircraft keeps moving

even tough the trust lever is back.

Is this a bug or is anything wrong with my set up ?

The PMDG-777 does not have this issue.

Which leads me to another question ,can I use the parking brake to halt a moving

aircraft or do I have to use the foot brakes ? ( I use a Saitek throttle )

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

Hi Hubert,

Sounds reasonable especially at light weights -- most jet aircraft will accelerate with idle thrust (to be honest, I'm surprised the 777 doesn't -- but maybe you're normally flying it at high weights).

Never use the parking brake to stop the aircraft unless you want to be replacing all the tyres and/or taxiing back to the gate to hospitalize the cabin crew who you'll have thrown off their feet -- parking brake systems vary but in most case you'd be applying a couple of thousand PSI worth of pressure to the brakes instantly (I think actually in the real 737 you have to have the foot brakes pushed to the floor before you can engage the parking brake anyway so it's a moot point really).

Is this a bug or is anything wrong with my set up ?

No. Note the absolutely massive engines on the wings. "Idle thrust" doesn't mean "no thrust." Case in point: when 777 depart certain airfields, their company SOP restricts them to a single engine start during pushback because the idle thrust of both engines can overpower the equipment pushing the plane back at that airfield.

Which leads me to another question ,can I use the parking brake to halt a moving
aircraft or do I have to use the foot brakes ?

Foot brakes first. To hold the aircraft in position, you can use the parking brake. In fact, if you watch the pedals when you put the parking brake on, you can see them depress. This is because in the real plane, you need to press the brakes down and then put the parking brake on.

Kyle Rodgers