Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

12GB ram not enough for XP11 ?

Long time FSX/P3D flier having the first time on XP11. I have a pretty beefy computer: i5-2500K OC @4.92GHz, GTX980 4GB, 1TB SSD. Windows 7 64bit etc. The only thing is I only installed 8GB ram b/c both FSX and P3D are 32bit and I have been perfectly fine so far. 

After I installed XP11 it simply couldn't start the flight at KSEA and windows keeps complaining that system is low on memory. I then realized that I'm flying a *64bit* flight simulator (I must admit it feels so good and refreshing to realize this! 32bit has inked into my mind for so long as far as flight simulation is concerned!). I pulled 2x2GB sticks from my other computer and with 12GB I was finally flying the C172 over KSEA.

However the performance was terrible, choppy and stuttering all over the places. I guess the fps likely is around single digits (don't know how to get fps info displayed). In the end windows still gave me the message that the system is low on memory and XP11 kind of crushed. 

Is it true that XP11 practically requires 16GB? I'm planning to upgrade my computer to 6800K when GTX 1080 ti comes out, so I'm kind of hesitant to buy extra RAM for the current system which is soon to be retired.

I hope it is not due to something wrong with my computer that makes XP11 so unflyable with 12GB ram. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Usually, XP 11 is very good in terms of performance. There may be many factors playing into why you are not happy with it now. But as a rule of thumb for upgrades: I have 32GB of RAM and 6GB of VRAM as of now. The graphics memory is almost maxed out at high settings so I would want to have 8 GB or more on board. Buy the fastest RAM you can get and most of it as far as you can afford it. I wouldn't go cheap on anything related to flight simming. It will require more and more with any iteration.

Hans

Thanks! My next PC will certainly have at least 32GB RAM and whatever VRAM the GTX 1080 ti may come with. Right now I just try to make a do with what I have. I'm not really unhappy with XP11 as I understand my current PC is likely the limiting factor.

From what I could see XP11 indeed looks very good. Still a bit cartoonish too me compared to P3D with addons, but the lighting etc looks really nice. I think the residual cartoonist looking is mostly due to textures have a too clean and smooth kind of look - they need to have more details and subtle variations baked into it as those P3D/FSX addon's do. I guess someone soon can fix this with good replacement textures?

You should start by settings all rendering options to minimum (I know, it will look bad) and see what performance you get. Then, you should raise your settings one by one, and see if there's a particular one that causes a big performance hit.

Also, you should disable "threaded optimization" in nVidia inspector.

Finally, this is a beta and performance is expected to be better in the future. But in general yes, the more RAM, CPU, GPU you have for X-Plane, the better. Their recommended RAM is 16-24 GB.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, it looks like 32GB RAM and 12Gb VRAM will be ok for the next two years. I'm for sure struggling with only 4GB VRAM and I must set texture to high to avoid saturation of VRAM

On the other hand it's good to know that finally there is a simulator that seems to take full advantage of modern hardware. Good to motivate me to do a complete upgrade early next year. With P3D video card is the only thing I care to upgrade on my current system. 

I'd like to see proof that XP11 is using anywhere near 16GB RAM.

In XP10, select "extended DSF" (that's always selected in XP11), then use Ultra HD Mesh with maximum texture settings, load some complex aircraft and airports, fly around a bit and after a while, if you have only 8 GB RAM, you might enjoy an OOM. :)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

If you use extended DSF or use HD Mesh, then you'll destroy anything less than 16GB.

I'd like to see proof that XP11 is using anywhere near 16GB RAM.

Proof is in the OP.  

With X-Plane running on my machine, albeit with other (necessary for Windows to run) tasks running in the background, high render settings, HD mesh, I'm using 53% to 57% RAM TOTAL.  And that's after upgrading to 32GB.

If you use extended DSF or use HD Mesh, then you'll destroy anything less than 16GB.

That's been my experience with XP10 and the XP11 beta. You'll probably want 32GB for the even higher-res UHD mesh, now that DSF is enabled by default in XP11 and can't be turned off.

The recommended system requirements on the Laminar site says 16-20 GB of RAM, and they're not doing that just to sell RAM sticks.

To the OP: You should be okay with 12GB right now if you avoid the free HD and UHD mesh terrain, and if you're careful not to push your other settings too far. With this early Beta, there may be something else going on besides memory crunch if you're having frame rate issues.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

With stock scenery sure. Have you tried UHD mesh or high detailed orthos with OSM HD data? I am currently using 20GB out of 32GB with a ZL18 ortho scenery running over the Florida Keys in 4K. This is all very relative.  

BTW: Saw a setting to turn the DSF off, but we shouldn't try this during beta.

Hans

Ok, I turned off "Thread Optimization" in XP11 Nividia driver profile and everything goes well now. I still don't know the exact fps since I don't how to get such info displayed, but XP11 is quite smooth with no stuttering. 

I like XP11 overall, especially the night scene is spectacular. I found the image during the bright daylight is kind of dull though and those trees and ground texture just look ugly. I'd say that the default XP11 scenery quality around KSEA under daylight still is nowhere near P3D with Orbx addon, but the lighting in XP11 is miles and miles ahead of P3D. Once XP11 gets textures and color tweeked right with more autogen and custom buildings it should easily kill P3D+Orbx.

I also love the feeling of C172 in the air, so much better than the C172 in P3D/FSX.

Not sure I want to buy XP11 right now since my current computer is already obsoleted by the XP11. Once I get my new computer done I'll definitely buy a copy of XP11. 

Not true. I only have 8 Gb of RAM and I have never had an OOM in X-Plane. And I use HD Mesh v3 everywhere I fly. Yesterday did a flight from MisterX KBOS in the IXEG 737 to KLGA with DD New York and DD New York Airports + HD Mesh and Skymaxx Pro. No problem.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

8 GB RAM is certainly enough to run XP under a variety of settings and addons. But that is based on the assumption that one closes all unnecessary apps and services that are unrelated to the sim.