Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

I just got my very own 737-800...

I installed them yesterday (got home from work early).

The setup went smooth, no problems at all. Then I fired up Assetto Corsa. It works out of the box, had nothing to configure. Just switch the display to "Oculus Rift" and off we go :-)

The immersion is really great, but....

I am having a really hard time to get it really sharp. While driving I don't feel this too much, but when I have to read something in the cockpit... or in the Oculus Start App...

Well... I have to try it and also try the FlyInside demo on the weekend. But I am not too excited at the moment. Let's see....

Well...you won't be able to get it 100% sharp since that is one of the major drawbacks in this 1st generation VR hardware. This has been widely discussed both in this thread as well as in most other threads on the same topic.

The conclusion many of us have come to though is the immersion you'll get from VR which you can never get from running on 2D displays to a high degree compensates for the lower resolution/screen door effect.

Also if you haven't tried FlyInside yet that will improve your experience quite a bit I'm sure although it won't do anything to the resolution of course.

Richard Åsberg

I will find it out on the weekend :-)

Really nice that there is a demo version of FlyInside! Props to the people of FlyInside!

Racing in Assetto Corsa was really cool, but you really have to be careful not to feel sick :-)

Just a short update:

Installed FlyInside today, the setup was pretty easy.

So I hopped into the NGX. Well, mixed feelings about that. The immersion sure is pretty insane :-D But the sharpness is pretty Meh.... For daily flying - I don't think I will take it.

Then I jumped into the F22 and took off from Innsbruck. Well, what should I say. That was one of the coolest experiences with computer technology in a looooong time. It's now 30 minutes later and I still feel sick after doing that barrel roll und the looping :-D

Nevertheless, I will send it back and wait for the second generation of VR.

Sorry to hear it wasn't for you but good thing you at least got the chance to try it out for yourself because that is the only way to make a good decision when it comes to VR. Like many other already said numerous times you won't be able to make a good decision simply by listening to what other people say or by watching YouTube clips etc.

However I'm thinking if maybe you didn't get the best possible experience simply because things were not working the way they should. Reason for this is I read some of your comments over in another VR thread where you said the v/c was moving rather than your head etc and that all sounds very strange and definitely like something wasn't working as intended.

Not that it matters if you already decided to return the glasses but if not I would post about those issues over in the FlyInside support forums. Maybe there's an easy fix that would allow you to have a much better experience.

Richard Åsberg

Hello

Very interesting post, and thank you at Webmaximus for all his impressions.

I also use the 737 ngx with the rift and flyinside, like other I am very impressed and won't go anymore to 2D screen.

Some remarks:

-I use it with IVAO (I am french), GSX, AS2016, ASCA, REX and others scenery, i aslo Have a physical FMC from opencockpit, a radio panel from CPflight

and a MCP pro from CPflight. I use all this materiel in flight. It is very pleasant to prepare the flight with a physical items ! for the radio I can introduce 2 frequency and easely switch from tower to approach. With the MCP I put little physical mark on it (scotch) to be able to know  where are my fingers ! and it work: I can use all the MCP in flight with the headset, a little practice is needed.

I have just 1 or 2 not easy items: If I want to make a Windows appear in the HMD my deported Windows of the FMC (on a VGA screen) move also in the HMD, so in flight it is not really easy to use this fonction, I have to put off the mask to see the charts but finally it is not to bad !

I continue experimenting but the immersion with the live ATC is incredible, I just have to ameliorate my way of flying with the HMD

Guillaume LE MENTEC

P3DV4.3/Windows 10/i5 4670 K@4.2

Yep, certainly is a very cool feeling and now that I've been using VR for quite some time I noticed how I get more and more comfortable doing so. In a way it has become very natural.

Like you say there's still a bit of experimenting how to do everthing in the best possible way and you learn something new on pretty much every flight I think.

The two things right now that I would like to find at good solution to is how to take notes when communicating with ATC in the easiest way.

Then I wish there was some way to get rid of the effect where the clouds just in front of you rotate away to the left and right of you in a weird way when you get close to them.

Part from this I'm getting really used to VR flying now and think it's great and without a doubt the biggest step towards 'As real as it gets' I ever took in front of my PC!

Richard Åsberg

Yes I agree about the clouds !! (I saw your post in flyinside forum). For taking note with the ATC I put the HMD out, i am waiting for a best fixation system of the HTC vive (it's coming), you also can work your memory, on real flight except the initial clearance they do not seem to take note. I a am waiting a GTX 1080 today to replace my GTX 970, I do not except a miracle but I would like to reduce the shimmering and I have also the mountain (mesh) who move a little.

I also notice that it is now very pleasant to fnish completelty my flight with GSX because you feel that you are really in it and the Wow effect is still here !. I didn't yet go to place like TNCM, Madeire, SAMOS but I will go very soon ! At this moment I practice with the VPT RW20 in LFKJ (ajacio), very nice approach and really easier in HMD

I also find that night flight are fantastic and what to say of the  stormy weather , woah !

Guillaume LE MENTEC

Like you say about taking notes it's mainly of course for the initial clearance but also for the arrival clearance depending on how complex the arrival is. For any other instructions it's quite easy to keep what is said in memory and fact is it's mostly possible also for the clearances but still it's nice being able to write it down somewhere just like most pilots do IRL.

I know all too well what you mean feeling like you're there when the GSX services are active. One thing I started doing recently is using the avatar mode in P3D in first person view with no model attached to watch the action from ground level...really cool!!

Both when they are loading the a/c and you can stand there just like IRL and look up at the a/c thinking to yourself "Soon I'll be piloting this a/c from A to B" or in the same way when you arrived watching the a/c being unloaded thinking to yourself "Yep...that wasn't such a crappy landing and here we are now at the destination gate" :smile:

Or why not do some virtual plane spotting by walking over into a good position and watch your friends land online on Vatsim or IVAO :smile:

Now if GSX (or some other product) could ever come up with moving passengers so you could actually watch them board/deboard the aircraft...now that would be a very old dream finally coming true!

Maybe when P3D goes 64-bit and there's no VAS limitations anymore...

Richard Åsberg

I receive my GTX 1080 and I see a différence, the fps are a  bit higher (20-25 fps at LFMN for exemple) and I am now able able to use the 4K définition of flyinside without any big drop in fps. There is less shimmering in the texture. With a 2048 texture and 4k I can look better to small caracter like the QNH. So I am very please with this card. I have a i5 4670 @4.2. ghZ.

I encounter some time a OOM problème (no more VAS) but it is when I load and reload a flight several times. I think this is the limitation of P3D. More over I usually make short flight (no more tha 1 hour flying).

I encounter a difficulty with GSX: whan I open it Inside VR the GSX Windows is not large enough to see all the menu, If I try to enlarge it with the mouse flyinside put me in out the cockpit (I go in the général menu). Do you have the same issue ?

Windows 7/P3DV3.3

Guillaume LE MENTEC

Good to hear you're happy with your new GFX card!

I'm on a 980Ti and did try to replace it with a 1080 some time ago but never noticed much of an improvement so I returned the card.

As for OOM/VAS issues that certainly isn't anything new and might be one of the biggest issues right now for lots of FSX and P3D users and has been for quite some time. P3D generally speaking has better VAS management vs FSX but when LM released P3Dv3.4 VAS hell broke loose again for lots of people.

I tried it out myself when it was first released but quickly went back to v3.2 after I had more VAS issues than I ever had before even in FSX. I also gave v3.4 a second chance only a couple of weeks ago to find out if it had been improved with the latest hotfixes but still the same VAS problems and I wasn't even able to complete a full flight in the NGX using my normal add-ons and settings. Now back on P3D v3.2 I have zero VAS issues so I will definitely stay on 3.2 until P3Dv4 is out.

As for the GSX menu I first experienced it can be a bit tricky to have it show up in the way you like but I've found a way to work around that problem. I have positioned the GSX menu to the right of me when I'm sitting in the left seat in the v/c meaning I will only see it when I turn my head 90 degrees to the right. When I press the shortcut to bring it up I make sure to look straight ahead. Doing it like that it will always show up with no problems.

Another thing to check is all the different options in FlyInside for how window sizes and positions are saved from one session to the next. There are also options where you can choose to have windows resized whenever you open them, when you recenter your view etc etc. I have all those options unchecked trying to make sure I only need to set the size and position of the window once. This however doesn't work 100% but maybe 95% and for the remaining 5% I just resize and re-position the window to suit my needs.

Lastly always make sure the menu you are working with in VR is active. Easiest way doing this is pointing the cursor onto it and left-click your mouse once. If the window/menu is not active/in focus all sorts of strange things might happen I've noticed such as ending up in the cargo department of the a/c...no...I'm not kidding :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

Ok. I find a solution with gsx. Thank you for your advice  

I also notice a strange behaviour with the fog layer. I use AS2016 and ASCA  and the fog layer in not very nice it is like a line in the sky. The probleme with the cloud and this are for me the 2 bad things i would like to see a amelioration in the future. Maybe some setting can be done to ameliorate ? I will try to reduce the number of layer and the distance of visibility of the cloud. 

Guillaume LE MENTEC

I haven't seen the problem with fog you describe but having the clouds just in front of you rotate away to the left and right when you get close is really annoying and wish there was a way to fix that.

Good to hear you managed to sort the issue with the GSX menu!

Richard Åsberg

I had a look to p3d forum about spinning clouds and there is only one thread..

I tried to reactivate an old one... Some people made the confusion about the old bug in 2D, solved years ago.. not easy

P3D forum

Guillaume LE MENTEC