Sign in to follow this  
rlw9sr

The Captain's Favorite Ride

Interesting article about Captain Randazzo's (PMDG) DC-3--

Fun fact: I was the guy sitting right seat in the chase (lead) plane as the safety pilot. I ended up working the radios on the way back to home base, too, since I was more familiar with the procedures at the airport.

Here's an over-the-shoulder shot of the DC-3 as we were maneuvering:

14350421_639868212860556_391221090018603

• Upvote 5

Kyle Rodgers

That's pretty awesome.  I didn't know PMDG used the DC-3 as a corporate transport.  

Pretty baller haha.  It's like Red Bull and their DC-6

Yeah I never knew before these threads started popping up that Robert owned a DC-3. Hopefully the DC-6 does well enough that they feel this would be a good investment to put in as well. I already have the GTN 750 from F1 so I am ready if it ever comes. Thanks for posting up the article!

That's pretty awesome.  I didn't know PMDG used the DC-3 as a corporate transport.  

Yep. We flew it up to Flight Sim Con year before this last one. It's pretty cool to be part of.

Kyle Rodgers

When are you going to get your next stripe? :P

Gotta finish up my commercial and add on my multi, tailwheel, and SIC training (and build a bunch of time). I'll probably knock out the first two early next year. I'm not sure what I want to do about the tailwheel though. I know I can buy a block in a few local tailwheels, but I might go all out and try to get it in an old warbird just for grins. We shall see.

For now, I'm good with being the proverbial Otto Pilot on the longer legs.

Kyle Rodgers

Gotta finish up my commercial and add on my multi, tailwheel, and SIC training (and build a bunch of time). I'll probably knock out the first two early next year. I'm not sure what I want to do about the tailwheel though. I know I can buy a block in a few local tailwheels, but I might go all out and try to get it in an old warbird just for grins. We shall see.

For now, I'm good with being the proverbial Otto Pilot on the longer legs.

Kyle maybe you guys can have a D-Day recreation and parachute out back. :wink: 

Kyle maybe you guys can have a D-Day recreation and parachute out back. :wink:

haha - I don't think I'd ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I'd fly others up to do that, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Kyle Rodgers

I want to do about the tailwheel though

I got mine in an O-1.  I also flew the C-47 and R4-D.  I never was a big fan of the DC-3, turbines are much more better.      :smile: 

blaustern

I don't think I'd ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane

I did six in the military, five in jump school and one in Ranger school (500 feet at night).  I'm also not a big fan of jumping out of airplanes. :smile: 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I got mine in an O-1.  I also flew the C-47 and R4-D.  I never was a big fan of the DC-3, turbines are much more better.

Nice. There's a Bird Dog hanging up near the SR-71 in the Smithsonian. I'll probably end up getting it in a Bellanca at a nearby field. We'll see.

...and blasphemy.  :P

I did six in the military, five in jump school and one in Ranger school (500 feet at night).  I'm also not a big fan of jumping out of airplanes.  

Haha - still. Newp. No thanks.

Kyle Rodgers

Great article, but wait a minute, did I just read that there are turbine conversions for DC-3's?!

Excuse me while I watch youtube videos of BT-67's for the next couple of hours.  :Tounge:

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

haha - I don't think I'd ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I'd fly others up to do that, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Right there with you, I'm staying inside.

Amazing stuff.  Great article 

Gents,

No joke:  Kyle's job interview for PMDG happened while he was trying to maintain course and altitude under the watchful gaze of the most ###### former airline captain you can possibly imagine flying with.  It happened on an unplanned leg to KMYR.  The original mission plan had been to fly some place for crew currency and a lunch debrief...  but it changed when The Lovely Dr. Randazzo™ managed to become stranded when her commercial flight home from KMYR canceled.

One minute he was hanging out in back enjoying the view of the scenery out the window, and a few moments later, Aaron (our crew chief- who you may also recognize as one of our beta testers and a prolific Twitch streamer [name: Lomaric]) wanders in back, taps him on the arm and motions him up front.

He spent the next hour being taken apart for fun and sport while having to focus on his flying.  For a guy with a PPL and no large aircraft time he did pretty well- so we decided not to toss him out the back with the other candidates who interviewed that day....     :Tounge:

Note: The hashtagged word above was a seven letter word for "Fatherless Child"

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com