Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Light pop in not fixed in 11?

Was just flying at night and the lights still pop in and load only at a close range (10 miles or so)... what gives,this was my one issue with XP10

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Was just flying at night and the lights still pop in and load only at a close range (10 miles or so)... what gives,this was my one issue with XP10

Whenever Ben was asked about this, he always replied: Not for 11.0 .

So it is no surprise.

So it is no surprise.

Wonder why they are so opposed to changes,like adding seasons ect.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So it is no surprise.

Hopefully for 11.1 :P

Wonder why they are so opposed to changes,like adding seasons ect.

That´s easy. They can at least guess how complicated 6the implementation would be, how much does it cost and what can we do ihn other areas in the same time. Since they didn´t like the approach of FSX and P3D it will be more complicated and it needs stable background shaders.

I think within X-Plane 11 we will see much better local weather events and we might see the first begining of seasonal shaders. But this will probably be a neverending story.

And while many people believe that 6the changes of the lightsystem would be trivial the reality is obviously more complicated.and would demand changes in several systems. They probably change component for component when they have to change something anyway, but such a thing is certainly not worth to be a main feature of a whole .x version.

That´s easy. They can at least guess how complicated 6the implementation would be, how much does it cost and what can we do ihn other areas in the same time. Since they didn´t like the approach of FSX and P3D it will be more complicated and it needs stable background shaders.

I think within X-Plane 11 we will see much better local weather events and we might see the first begining of seasonal shaders. But this will probably be a neverending story.

And while many people believe that 6the changes of the lightsystem would be trivial the reality is obviously more complicated.and would demand changes in several systems. They probably change component for component when they have to change something anyway, but such a thing is certainly not worth to be a main feature of a whole .x version.

They could make some glowing night textures kinda like FSX and p3d have for further off parts of cites,low impact performance wise and it would help make cites like NYC and Miami that are super large more realistic when departing in jets

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Why not just give a slider and let user decide...how tough is that??

In VR ,with The current lighting, it feels like the cities are floating in space

• Upvote 1

They could make some glowing night textures kinda like FSX and p3d have for further off parts of cites,low impact performance wise and it would help make cites like NYC and Miami that are super large more realistic when departing in jets

This is pretty much why I never fly jets out of big cities at night/dark, really kills the immersion :(

The problem is not that they dont want it, its that they cant do it easily.  And your answer just undermines that people do not know the inner workings of x-plane at all.

Ben explained the problem a few times already. Basically it boils down to this (if i remember correctly):

Currently in x-plane there is no way to make a light of a building shine without the actual building beeing loaded in the scenery.  You can see light quite abit further than you can objects. So you can already see the problem that they face.  In order to have light at like 30 miles, you need to load all objects in the scenery.  Natuarally that will tank your framerate to the single digits. Thats why you have that cutoff.

They are aware of this issue and they have some ideas to fix it. but it is far more than a single line of code like "light visibility = 30nm" and they are done.  Thats why they didnt want to mess with it during the end of the lifecycle of xp10 (because its alot of work) and why they dont do it in Xp11.0 (because there is enough things to get stable initally anways).  It will get adressed at some point though

• Upvote 3

This "problem" (it's intentional, I think) happens due to a limit in roads loading distance.

Xplane places street lights automatically nearby roads (depending on the road type), if a road in the distance isn't calculated yet, then obviously street lights won't be loaded.

The REAL limitation here are the roads, the solution is loading roads for a higher distance, but keep in mind it'll hurt performance.

The best solution is a slider for roads, I guess..

This "problem" (it's intentional, I think) happens due to a limit in roads loading distance.

Xplane places street lights automatically nearby roads (depending on the road type), if a road in the distance isn't calculated yet, then obviously street lights won't be loaded.

The REAL limitation here are the roads, the solution is loading roads for a higher distance, but keep in mind it'll hurt performance.

The best solution is a slider for roads, I guess..

Or just draw the lights where the road would be. Performance hit would be less and at night it wouldn't be noticeable.

Or just draw the lights where the road would be. Performance hit would be less and at night it wouldn't be noticeable.

and that is what they cant do atm.  they need to load the road before they can place the light. It is a limitation of the system.  They will change it but its not a trivial task

I get that that's why I say use a texture for far off stuff as no light really causes disorientation like tonight on approach into SFO it was all black until just a few miles away I was flying off gauges like it was IFR even though it was VFR

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

As someone mentioned, a slider for tall buildings and lights in the distance (and let the user decide) is best. I once edited the LOD for “very tall” buildings and could see the Miami coast skyline from Ft Lauderdale. It’s a PITA to do this manually, but the visual benefit (eliminated most of the fading buildings) was worth it, and the performance impact was not noticeable on my machine.

I don’t see how LR can be so proud of light reflections etc. when we still have pop up lights and performance barriers that prevent them from addressing other long standing issues.

XP10 is my only flight sim right now (long since gave up on the others) because it does serve my passion for Helis and GA flying, but LR's focus seems to miss the “major” issues with every update. XP11 will have to get a major overhaul before I upgrade.

As someone mentioned, a slider for tall buildings and lights in the distance (and let the user decide) is best. I once edited the LOD for “very tall” buildings and could see the Miami coast skyline from Ft Lauderdale. It’s a PITA to do this manually, but the visual benefit (eliminated most of the fading buildings) was worth it, and the performance impact was not noticeable on my machine.

I don’t see how LR can be so proud of light reflections etc. when we still have pop up lights and performance barriers that prevent them from addressing other long standing issues.

XP10 is my only flight sim right now (long since gave up on the others) because it does serve my passion for Helis and GA flying, but LR's focus seems to miss the “major” issues with every update. XP11 will have to get a major overhaul before I upgrade.

Exactly it's like they fix the little things and ignore the 800 pound Gorilla in the room

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.