Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Light pop in not fixed in 11?

I'm a fan of options.

While it might melt your computer if they gave the option to increase the LOD on the lights, it'd be nice to have the choice because right now it looks terrible.

Same way I felt about P3D and autogen radius. Finally in v4, they gave people the option to greatly increase it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 hours ago, bonchie said:

I'm a fan of options.

While it might melt your computer if they gave the option to increase the LOD on the lights, it'd be nice to have the choice because right now it looks terrible.

Same way I felt about P3D and autogen radius. Finally in v4, they gave people the option to greatly increase it.

On the consumer end, I can understand feeling that way. On the other hand, Laminar is a small company and can't afford to support a large tech support staff. The reason they took away the much more fine-grained options settings we had in v10 with the new v11, was because they had so many people whining about how poor the frame rate was, with settings they didn't understand. 

They're on a big move right now for optimization and frame rate including a move to Vulcan, partly aimed at VR support, but also just to keep up with the crazy resolutions people are using in 2D monitors now (4k today, 8k tomorrow? That's nuts). In addition to VR support, it helps X-Plane stay competitive with the other platforms out there. 

The current night lights are individual light sources, something P3D can't get anywhere close to doing with that legacy engine. Laminar knows this needs a fix, and we'll get it eventually... like seasons, better weather, ATC and all the rest. But they're not going to add in something that suddenly, drastically, drops the frame rate as a short-term fix just for visual appeal.

They're aiming for minimal complaints about frame rates with decent hardware. That's something we should all support.