Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Learjet flight video fun

Hi Al,

I think I can answer question "1" - yeah - I believe I read somewhere you can deploy the spoiler on touchdown - the only limitation is that you can't use the spoiler when the flaps are deployed while in the air... I've seen some video's of real planes deploying them as well... I use them all the time after touchdown - even before reaching for the reversers...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi David,

Thanks - seems I have my work cut out for me...

Oh - one heads up in your video - sounds like you are using the "Default" RC4 voices... Just an FYI - in case you aren't aware - there is a "meatwater" mod where a sound engineer processed all the wav files to make them sound much better and a bit faster - I can't fly without it... Hopefully it's still in the lib - big files - very much worth the download and I highly recommend them...

Regards,

Scott

I will look up "meatwater" in Avsim Library! Thanks Scott! BTW, I had a CTD today...VAS below 250 MB! I guess that "dimmer light " patch is going in now!

Hi David,

Very well done video - thanks! Two questions:

1. Should the spoilers be deployed at touchdown?

2. How can we stop that "Don't Sink" warning message when it is not appropriate -- very annoying.

Al

Hi Al.

Thank you sir!

1. Yes absolutely they should! They are not auto deployed (in RL nor in the sim) so they require manual deployment! Interestingly, RW crew delegate this action to the PNF! But since the key(/) is defined its just a press away. Or use VA/MCE?

2. That "don't sink" is a throwback to the FSX/FS9 days. There is a fix somewhere. For now if we can find the sound file that's being triggered we could delete it or modify it so we can't hear it! I agree its very irritating! Its way too sensitive.

Those Flysimware guys are so keen, maybe they will put it in the next patch?

Best regards

David

Hi David,

I'm trying my best to learn to fly the Lear 35A in P3D. It's the first 'proper' jet add-on I purchased for the sim and, for me anyway, it represents a different type of challenge and a significant increase in pace over the MU-2 I previously spent hours getting to grips with (which in itself was something of challenge compared to the Aerosoft Twin Otter X I was getting comfortable with!)

Back to the Lear 35A - I noticed someone has already asked you about the spoilers and I must confess I don't really know that much about them or how to use them. Presumably they are to help reduce speed and keep the aircraft on the ground once you've touched down? Any chance of a quick rundown?

In your video, I see you testing them in your pre-flight checks and can hear the command to arm them prior to touchdown but how do you do that in the sim? I see a spoiler switch with a 'reset' setting but I'm not sure what to do with it. All of my landings thus far have been without any consideration to arming or deploying spoilers, I've been using 20deg flaps then the thrust reversers. Usually things work out okay...

Cheers,

Andy 

Hi Andy,

Just a little information - even though the FSW checklist includes "Arm the Spoilers" - - - these are manual spoilers without an arming functionality - they have a two position switch - full on - or full off - no in between - - - that has to be thrown manually...

While by definition - "spoilers" spoil lift - they are also an effective speed brake in flight - you would use them in flight when you want to increase your rate of descent without increasing speed... My typical descents - I shoot for 2000 FPM and the spoilers aren't necessary... Really - I seldom use them in flight... As mentioned before the only time you can't use them in flight is after you deploy some flaps...

On landing - one major concern is not overheating your brakes (not modeled) - so anyway you can dissipate you're energy on the ground roll - without using brakes - I think would be preferred... I believe it's very common to use them on landing... I usually land full flaps unless there is a substantial cross wind - as again - you're offloading more of your energy in the air before touchdown...

I've been reading both the AFM and another great book called "Flying the Classic Learjet" and one thing they both mention - before takeoff - are triple check the three items that will kill you "Flaps, Spoilers, and Trim"...

Anyway - there are people here with far more knowledge than I - so - LOL - I stand ready to be corrected...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

Hi Andy,

And here it is by the numbers - one of the better videos on a Lear 35 landing I've found - and man - that's a pretty nice paint job too...

:Tounge:

Personally - I don't think there is a sexier biz jet than a Lear 35...

Note - he seems to be "air braking" to bleed even more energy by keeping the nose pitched up as long as possible - to maximize drag (I don't know if this has any effect in flight sim)... Psst - your port recce light is out...

Regards,

Scott

In your video, I see you testing them in your pre-flight checks and can hear the command to arm them prior to touchdown but how do you do that in the sim? I see a spoiler switch with a 'reset' setting but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Hello Andy.

Sorry I missed your question, I've been installing Scotts suggestion of the Meatwater voices for RC4! Very good they are too!

The Arm Spoilers instruction in the flow and checklist, should be check spoilers. They should be down prior to landing. They are not auto deployed when we get WOW, or weight on wheels! You need to manually extend them.

You mention the MU-2. There, we have spoilerons. No ailerons at all. The full length Fowler type flaps take up the space where our ailerons would be. The spoilers on the MU-2 are for roll control. Quite interesting on a Turboprop and highly effective.

On the Learjet 35A, the spoilers do have a function as to augment roll control at low speed, particularly when we have flaps 40. That's why the ground test. The start flow has a section devoted to testing the spoileron function. (Alternate extension of the spoilers is termed a Spoileron) This is performed with flaps at 40. Then reset to ensure they are in and ready to work together as spoilers. Spoilers can also be speed brakes or "boards".

So when we touch down, either you Pilot Flying, or your co pilot (PNF) deploys the spoilers. As has been said, to dump lift, increase drag and help us slow down. Since the spoilers have the original (/) command, you could assign a joystick button to them. Alternatively, with a Voice Activated co pilot, you could ask him. AL has done superb work with LUA scripts which work with FSUIPC to assign key strokes to all the AFCS buttons and more besides.

Hope you enjoy the aircraft. She's a beaut!

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Hah - right - glad you like the RC4 mod - the guy did an excellent job - a tad of a pain to setup but once you do - just back up the voice directory and it's portable - I've used it since it came out and easily moved it from one PC to another... Our PC's re faster now - when I first installed it - it took forever to process all the files...

Regards,

Scott

David and Scott - thank you both for your replies to my comments about using the spoilers. I believe I now have a pretty good understanding of what they do and how to use them in the sim. Was very interested to learn that they also have a spoileron function, like the MU-2, during flight.

So, when checking the spoilers before landing, is it a visual check (if that's even possible from the cockpit - or is there an warning light?) or is it a prompt to use the spoiler reset switch to ensure both spoilers are down, as per the start flow?

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

My take - the control surfaces are probably not visible from the cockpit...

I don't think they reset it - probably just a check of the switch position is "off"...

There is an indicator on the warning panel that lights - also make sure the light is out...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

That "reset" switch gets a big part in the start flow..

a. Flaps-Check, DN.

b. Control Wheel- Center.

c. SPOILERON RESET Switch - Hold On. Rotate control

wheel. AUG AIL light will illuminate. Release SPOILERON

RESET switch.

d. Control Wheel - Center.

e. SPOILERON RESET Switch - Hold On. AUG AIL light will

extinguish. Rotate control wheel in the opposite direction.

AUG AIL light will illuminate. Release SPOILERON RESET

switch.

Note~ Control wheel movement to cause AUG AIL light to il-

luminate should be approximately the same in both

f. Control Wheel- Center.

g. SPOILERON RESET Switch - On and release. AUG AIL light

will extinguish.

h. Control Wheel - Rotate left then right. Note that spoiler

movement coincides with aileron movement and AUG AIL

light remains extinguished.

i. SPOILER Switch - EXT. Check that spoilers extend fully and

symmetrically in approximately 1 to 2 seconds. SPOILER light

will flash.

j. Flaps - UP. SPOILER light will go steady.

k. SPOILER Switch - RET. Check that spoilers retract fully and

symmetrically in approximately 6 seconds and SPOILER light

goes out.

directions.

2-20 FAA APPROVED 4-30-76

REISSUED 2-25-81, CHANGE 10

Therefore the "reset" switch is used during the test flow. If its pressed on in flight there should be no Aug light on if they are down.

Hey ain't this a great little sim! Great fun exploring all the detail! Flysimware made this work in our sim! :-)

Cheers

David

• Upvote 1

The reset switch is used if you get an "Aug Ail" caution light which means the system detected an excessive split between the aileron and same side spoiler when spoileron mode is active.Resetting the system should restore function. If the caution will not clear then both spoilers and spoileron function will be inoperative in flight.When maneuvering at approach speeds without the spoilerons functional requires more aileron deflection for the same roll authority so they are quite effective enhancing roll control.

• Upvote 1

Gary Stewart

Again, thanks to everyone for all the hints, tips and info. The weekend is here and I can't wait to put in a few more hours with the L35A.

Hey ain't this a great little sim! Great fun exploring all the detail! Flysimware made this work in our sim! :-)

I'll probably never know what it's like to experience flight in a real Learjet 35A but I find it genuinely thrilling and massively rewarding every time I use the FSW model. Something about their Lear and the MU-2 has captured my imagination in a way few other models do (Twin Otter Extended is probably the only other one I can think of). I don't fly anything too complex, mostly because I struggle finding the time required to learn the big beasts - but I'm finding as each FSW model grows in complexity and system depth, so too does willingness to find the time to learn them. I feel that as FSW grow as a developer, so do I as a flight simmer. That's why I'm also really looking forward to their Falcon as I believe it will push me even further.  

Hi David,

I'm enjoying your new installment with the meatwater mod - man - nice job... FYI - One thing I noticed is that you never arm the antiskid brakes - the indicator light above the clock remains on which is warning you... The function actually does work and prevents you from locking up your wheels and skidding down the length of the runway...

Yeah - still - REALLY - enjoying this plane... Last nights flight:

N474AN

KMMU: Morristown Municipal Airport
Morristown, New Jersey, USA

To

KSHD: Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport
Staunton/Waynesboro/Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA

FL260 via LANNA Q448 PTW J48 EMI LDN CEROL

0:54(+00) 443TAS - 68 Knot Headwind

Fuel (lbs.) | Taxi: 100 | Trip: 1,450 | Altn: . | 45 min: 1,305 | Min Fuel Required: 2,855

KSHD is in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains - it was a nice short flight and actually worked without crashing...

Regards,
Scott

The function actually does work and prevents you from locking up your wheels and skidding down the length of the runway...

Aha! Well ya see, I haven't needed any real brakes yet Scott!:-) Those Thrust reversers, "boards" and long runways work wonders...LOL! However, you have me curious now. I will have to try a slippery runway! They say it's been snowing at Innsbruck, so there is a location to visit. Not that I need an excuse to fly this little beaut anywhere

KSHD is in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains - it was a nice short flight and actually worked without crashing...

Now I hope you mean the P3d crashing and not the aircraft! Think of the insurance premiums!:-):-)

BTW. I have a newly qualified ATPL gal called Jess! Likes MCE and Voice Attack. Also Likes the right hand seat in the Lear!

Happy days.

Cheers

David.

• Upvote 1